Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Here are my videos from tonight. While it's still clear that we have a LOT of work to do, I'm still pretty chuffed with their progress as we've done very little training in this :thumbsup:

Ruby:

Millie:

Edit: fixed the second link! Should work now :wave:

Also want to apologize for the yucky room we're working in, it's the last room of the house to be renovated still :thumbsup: Half a painted wall :thumbsup: And I've noticed how much more excited I am working Millie, probably because I unfairly expect more from Ruby. Mental note: give Ruby some exciting sessions, too! :thumbsup: Though it doesn't seem to phase her, they both wait at the door willing it to be their turn!!

Edited by RubyStar

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i have a question regarding clicker training, i still fairly new to the clicker.

Do you reward every click or only when you are teaching them something new?

i was reading something the other day and it said you must reward every click but in the past i had been training using the "yes" and treating every 3rd or 4th once they had understood what i wanted from them.

I have been working on my stays and give her plenty of clicks but have only been treating when i am close to her and at the end of the exercise have been giving her several treats once i have released her from the stay.

i have a question regarding clicker training, i still fairly new to the clicker.

i was reading something the other day and it said you must reward every click but in the past i had been training using the "yes" and treating every 3rd or 4th once they had understood what i wanted from them.

I have been working on my stays and give her plenty of clicks but have only been treating when i am close to her and at the end of the exercise have been giving her several treats once i have released her from the stay.

My understanding is you should treat every click or else she might not learn to anticipate a reward after the click.

Rubystar - will watch the video's tonight when I get home - thanks for posting them and Terranik - I still need to watch your last trial video - so thats also on tonights viewing.

Took the kids training at K9 last night and Bedazzelled did a bit of work with Cider Bear - WOW :wave: lovely to watch and amazing how a baby can adapt so quickly when a handler is neat and tidy. And Red really is bedazzled's colour - like the right coloured handbag to go with an outfit. Hmm think you should cancel your kelpie order and work Cider Bear for me :thumbsup:

Rubystar - will watch the video's tonight when I get home - thanks for posting them and Terranik - I still need to watch your last trial video - so thats also on tonights viewing.

Took the kids training at K9 last night and Bedazzelled did a bit of work with Cider Bear - WOW :laugh: lovely to watch and amazing how a baby can adapt so quickly when a handler is neat and tidy. And Red really is bedazzled's colour - like the right coloured handbag to go with an outfit. Hmm think you should cancel your kelpie order and work Cider Bear for me :(

I would love to watch someone who knows what they are doing work with my dog, sometimes I think him and I are like the blind leading the blind... :laugh:

I love nothing more then being given trained dogs to take out for a test spin - I have had the great pleasure of working not only some of Ptolomy's kids but bedazzledx2's Brooklyn and another absolutely awesome standard poodle Kiri belonging to another WA trainer and its an experience that stays with you for life. :laugh:

Edited by ness

great work rubystar :laugh: i always love watching your girls work

the second video doesn't load, comes up saying it a duplicate on the first one :laugh:

It didn't work for me either, but I found the correct link...

Great videos!

Thanks guys :( Sorry about the link, just fixed it in my other post! Thanks for finding the correct one TN! :D

Took the kids training at K9 last night and Bedazzelled did a bit of work with Cider Bear - WOW :laugh: lovely to watch and amazing how a baby can adapt so quickly when a handler is neat and tidy. And Red really is bedazzled's colour - like the right coloured handbag to go with an outfit. Hmm think you should cancel your kelpie order and work Cider Bear for me :(

Nuh uh I think she should take on a blonde Labbie :laugh:

When using the clicker, reward every time - I like using it for precise behaviours e.g. shaping, heel position, speed drops etc. With stays, I don't use the clicker at all, but start with steady feet exercises before progressing to reinforcing with food for holding the position.

When I use a bridge (e.g. "good"), that means "keep on going, this is great, the reward is on it's way at the end of the exercise".

I hope that helps!

Had an interesting night at training yesterday. I don't tend to train too far in-front of the level that I am up to but tried out a couple of things last night. Tried drop on recall, down Poppy went perfectly and a dumb bell over a solid jump. She did the retrieve beautifully too. I had not done any actual training on these exercises but she knows distance drop and has done some agility. It is great how they can put it all together.

And OMG the distraction levels at mid week training is massive! The soccer club also have training so there are heaps of people running around kicking balls, sometimes right through our area!

Had an interesting night at training yesterday. I don't tend to train too far in-front of the level that I am up to but tried out a couple of things last night. Tried drop on recall, down Poppy went perfectly and a dumb bell over a solid jump. She did the retrieve beautifully too. I had not done any actual training on these exercises but she knows distance drop and has done some agility. It is great how they can put it all together.

And OMG the distraction levels at mid week training is massive! The soccer club also have training so there are heaps of people running around kicking balls, sometimes right through our area!

Jules P - when I got my first dog I only ever trained up the stage that I was at - so when I got my novice title I then started open training, and once I got our open title I then trained UD. Hence it sometimes took months having obtained one title before you could get back in the ring at the next level. Although here in WA we had something called novice comp which was a level inbetween novice and open.

Now I think of the kids as sponges - happy to absorb as much as I can throw at them and even if I don't do the exercises for many months - picking it up again further down the track is much easier than having to train it from scratch. You may also find that teaching them "new" things sometimes makes the things they know well improve - because they become easy.

So don't stop here - find something new to teach your kids - even if it is find a seekback article, or sit in a box or a hoop I am sure your kids will enjoy learning and it will also improve your teaching skills.

I do the same, Ptolomy. It's nice to break up training with something different - and it does seem to make what he already knows much easier. I think of it more like 'drip feeding' rather than him being a sponge, though ;)

It's also a good opportunity to pin point Zig's strengths and weaknesses - he had absolutely no interest in fetching AT ALL! I have been able to quietly shape it to the point where his dumbbell retrieve is super enthusiastic. He really, really hated the metal article too and I'm glad I've discovered that now as I can work on making it fun. He tolerates it now (and has stopped jaw chattering), for food rewards, but isn't as enthusiastic about fetching it as the other articles just yet. So I've started a little gentle scent work with wood and leather but not pushing him too hard as it doesn't come naturally to him. He thinks the box is an absolute hoot so I haven't bothered with that too much - only when I see one set up at training.

JulesP - aren't they surprising when they put an exercise together! Poppy sounds like a sweetie :cry:

lol Ptolomy I also do herding and agility and have 2 dogs and a pup in training. Which makes for limited time. I don't mind chugging along at each level.

Poppy is sweet. She is on her best behaviour at training at the moment because she is getting special one on one time with Mummy.

lol Ptolomy I also do herding and agility and have 2 dogs and a pup in training. Which makes for limited time. I don't mind chugging along at each level.

Poppy is sweet. She is on her best behaviour at training at the moment because she is getting special one on one time with Mummy.

UM - very poor excuse Jules P :laugh: - I have 5 dogs (4 competing and 1 retired) 4 do agility and 5 still come training for obedience, I work full time, also run a boarding kennel, have 2 2 legged kids and I am helping a mate do up a house - so limited time - yep I do understand - buts its no excuse.

Maybe you should have just said happy to chug along at your own time/rate :) Nope not picking on you just pointing out different priorities I guess.

back in my box now......

Ps - tell us more about your puppy