Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

I have to say I got it lucky in some ways Kenz did come with inbuilt focus -

Kenz at 12 weeks (just because she was soooooo drop darn cute) -

Kenz at 6 months -

Kenz at 7 months working for Tash -

Kenz at 11 months -

(not bad for a first time with a called heel pattern EVER and the first time with anything longer then a few bits of doodling either).

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I started teaching Cider sent discrimination tonight - anybody else interested in giving scent a go and comparing notes?

BY George I think she's got it.

Up to 5 unscented metals and 1 scents one and she has now started sniffing them all and making the correct decision when she gets to the right one. :D

Have added two more unscented metals for tomorrows session - I leave them on the front lawn overnight :shrug:

Go Cider.

Let's hope the articles are there in the morning or you'll be starting on seek back :)

:laugh: Caffy - well the articles were still there and we did 7 unscented + 1 scented one - so will start on woods tomorrow :cheer:

Show off Ptolomy - right that does it I will play scent with the kids (well the Kenz kid and might just do a full set with Ness) when I get back from posting trial entries. Got to be some advantages to having been told to have no real computer time for 3 days :D .

I have to say I got it lucky in some ways Kenz did come with inbuilt focus -

Kenz at 12 weeks (just because she was soooooo drop darn cute) -

Were you training at special BC classes :D They are the only dogs in the shot! (She is pretty cute though especially when she stops and scratches)

:) that was called an obedience trial and there was a kelpie that walked past. Oops forgot to say that was the first time she had actually had a lead and collar on when training as well hence the scratching :D .

Only included it cos she was sooo cute. I love they cheekie little sit she does when I had her bouncing around then asked for a sit - she gives me that same look now :laugh: . Think it means trouble :shrug: .

Off to go post her first entry today - eeeek scary stuff.

Edited by ness

I just saw that Cider is only 7 months old?? Help my boy is 11 months old and he is no where near as good as that :cheer: That focus and attention is sooo good.

Cider is a very lucky girl, she has one of the best trainers/handlers around!

I have a 3 year old who struggles with attention, so don't beat yourself up MM :) I just know that with my next dog, focus and attention is one of the very first key things I will be teaching! I didn't know it was so important back then :D :cheer: You learn so much with each and every dog!

I tried to teach Mason attention when he as younger but that didnt work out so well....... :laugh::shrug: he is doing well for his age but I know most of the time when he does stuff wrong its my fault and sometimes I dont know how to fix it.

Edited to say 90% of the time I dont know how to fix it.

Edited by Masons_mom

Hey Ptolomy - how far are you letting Cider carry the correct article before marking and how close to the pile are you standing out of curiosity.

I am probably 3-4m away from the pack and I am varying when I mark with either a click or a "good Girl", but its always after she has picked the article up and is on her way back - yesterday it was noticeable that when I gave her the feedback she came back much quicker. I also started playing the 2 food game so throwing the scented article in one direction and food in the other direction when she was bringing it back before I sent her to find the first time.

Its interesting to watch the process of starting with 2 articles, one correct and one incorrect and its a case of the dog really just being lucky to get the correct one - to adding more articles and them starting to sniff and make an informed decision. Thats when you know they understand the game.

I will try and get it on video at some stage :laugh:

:laugh: awesome - I am going to go out and play in a moment. Got to be some benefit to being injured - although the girls thought the fact that I accidentally managed to drop my bowl containing gelati just before an unexpected bonus ;) .

I just went out the front and played scent with Kenz - opted to put out a pile of half a dozen metals. We had a couple of times when she went out and tried to bring the first article back - no big deal (not bad since she is a reluctant metal retriever). Those two attempts funnily enough were within her first couple of attempts - after which time we built up to 7 unscented 1 scented and she was sniffing and only bringing back the correct metal. Once she sniffed maybe 4 or 5 incorrect articles before finding the correct one and didn't snatch and grab at all :laugh: . I was pleased because she didn't once go mum metal articles are to hard and she perserved with picking them up even though she still isn't keen - good girl Kenzie.

I was switching her with Ness so I could focus on some of my pick up/delivery issues with Ness (her woods are a disaster) so I placed out a scented wood in the metal pile to isolate the thing we are having issues with. First time I placed the wood, she found it returned and dropped it at my feet - well more like it slipped but sorry Ness you go back behind the fence and Kenz gets another turn :champagne: . You can bet that next wood didn't land at my feet no matter how much I waved my hands around in front of her face.

Not sure what to do from here - maybe woods or should we try for another metal session where she is 100% correct. She finds woods easier to retrieve :eek: .

Session was cut short by the postie as I didn't want him running over my articles which were in the middle of the footpath ;) .

I'm inspired to do some scent again tonight! :(

Me too! Though I just did a ton of flyball work with them both so I think they're a little exhausted.

Maybe I'll wait an hour or so. Scent work isn't the most strenuous activity... :rainbowbridge:

Toby took 3 short sessions to understand the criteria for a 2 weave entry from varied distances and angles. I introduced a third pole and he caught onto that quickly (because I was rewarding him on the left after 2) but I will go back to two poles for a couple of sessions cause I don't want to rush, the fourth pole is supposed to be the hardest.

Tobylarone :rainbowbridge:

Hey that's good Valley, you'll have Toby weaving like a pro in no time!

I was reading that PDF thinking it sounded familiar then realised it's the method Susan Garrett first uses in her book Shaping Success, then saw mention of the book in the PDF.

Yes I need to do some serious weaving. Might go crack the whip to get my equipment builder to hurry up and make them.

I really should be working on other things but I'm still recovering from a chest infection and can't be bothered running. :rainbowbridge:

Soon I have to do a clicker session with Lincoln or else the poor little thing will forget what training even is!

(Do you think Dogswest would let me change Toby's name to Tobylarone?)

I just did some scent work with Jedi and he's picking out the scented metal from one other metal about 75% of the time. He's sometimes just picking up any and others making conscious decisions.

Soaks on the other hand is a natural! She's always used her nose well though. I just started hiding food for her to find and she'll find it even when she's been out of the room! I can't wait to start on articles with her!!

OK - you guys inspired me - again. :D But I'm way behind in the SD stakes, as I haven't taught Rory to retrieve yet - let alone metal... So tonight we just did some Shirley Chong type teaching retrieve. He's picking it up from the ground, and starting to get the idea of delivering it ro me. We did a few sit in front of me (I was in a chair) and hold and give. Quite pleased with his progress so far.

Did a few SLS with Miss Kirra - trying to get it back in gear before Nationals :( .

Don't worry Tassie I haven't trained the dumbell yet, let alone scent work :( . I worked on clicker training sit stays with distractions today - me moving around and waving my arms around, playing with i-squeaks and throwing cheese. The dogs did really well except Sophie got up once to try and get the cheese naught little bugger she is :D .

As I promised myself, I did some scent tonight with the girls.

Ruby is rather reliable in picking the right article, though we haven't practiced in a long time so her confidence has dropped off and sometimes she is picking up an article before she decides on the correct one. And there is room for a lot more improvement in her technique and delivery :thumbsup:

Millie is VERY ENTHUSIASTIC :thumbsup: in this game! She dashes out and sniffs them so loud that I am sure the neighbours could hear her *SNIFF SNIFF* :thumbsup:

She was getting the right one but is also picking some up in her mouth before she decides on the right one to bring back, so she still needs some confidence and practice in this game (she hasn't done it many timese at all). Then I pushed her too far and she started playing "snatch and grab" with the first article she came across instead, so we canned the game. Naughty me :wave:

I was doing it in lino, and the metals kept rolling, so then I had to improvise and do a few rounds on a dog bed :thumbsup:

I got some video, will upload when I get a chance in case anyone is interested (probably not :thumbsup:)

Edited by RubyStar