Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I started teaching Cider sent discrimination tonight - anybody else interested in giving scent a go and comparing notes?

BY George I think she's got it.

Up to 5 unscented metals and 1 scents one and she has now started sniffing them all and making the correct decision when she gets to the right one. :cry:

Have added two more unscented metals for tomorrows session - I leave them on the front lawn overnight :mad

I started teaching Cider sent discrimination tonight - anybody else interested in giving scent a go and comparing notes?

BY George I think she's got it.

Up to 5 unscented metals and 1 scents one and she has now started sniffing them all and making the correct decision when she gets to the right one. :eek:

Have added two more unscented metals for tomorrows session - I leave them on the front lawn overnight :thumbsup:

Go Cider.

Let's hope the articles are there in the morning or you'll be starting on seek back :(

:eek: Go Cider. I opted to just do doodling heelwork inside and concentrate on fronts and finishes and finding and holding heel. Will resume back to articles tomorrow when I can play back outside.

Go Cider! What a good girl. I should be getting my articles tomorrow or by the end of the week :eek:

Daft question - how does everyone store their articles? Do you keep the wood/metal/leather all separate? Is it alright just to put them in a container?

Edited by huski

I started pre-trialling classes on Sunday and we have started to do heeling with turns to the left and the right, anyone got any good tips on how to teach a novice trainer ( me) and a young dog how to do the turns, at the moment I just use food but he seems to be a bit confused that we are now turning.

I guess what I am trying to ask is how do i cue him in that we are about to turn so that its not such a surprise??

Edited by Masons_mom

Have you done much doodling on the spot, having the dog line up at heel?

I have been trying to get him to line up nicely at heel, it may seem like a dumb question but what is doodling on the spot?? Havent heard of it before.

Hmm I was playing this a bit tonight, pivoting on the spot and having the dog hold heel. I start by moving a small amount and having the dog heel. Extension of the line up game.

Second part of this video sort of explains it -

This one is another example -

You can also do it for RATs - move a small amount in the other direction and C/T the dog for remaining in the correct heel position.

Hmm I was playing this a bit tonight, pivoting on the spot and having the dog hold heel. I start by moving a small amount and having the dog heel. Extension of the line up game.

Second part of this video sort of explains it -

This one is another example -

You can also do it for RATs - move a small amount in the other direction and C/T the dog for remaining in the correct heel position.

Thanks I will look at these videos an go from there.

Edited to say I watched the video's and it helped a lot, your dog is lovely and very smart, wish mine would sit so close to me in the heel :eek:

Edited by Masons_mom

Ptolomy also posted some videos of Cider who is only a baby dog learning her heelwork.

There are a couple. I know if they are struggling to read your cues then break the turns down, do them in slow pace a step at a time and click and treat for holding position. Kenz likes to try and drive me so she got a lot of C/Ting in slow pace when she was in correct position when she was a real baby. I was working her tonight though and the penny has definitely dropped and she seems to be able to keep control of her position when fired up :eek: . Just got to work through her people scardy issues so I can get her into the ring.

Edited by ness

Ptolomy also posted some videos of Cider who is only a baby dog learning her heelwork.

There are a couple. I know if they are struggling to read your cues then break the turns down, do them in slow pace a step at a time and click and treat for holding position. Kenz likes to try and drive me so she got a lot of C/Ting in slow pace when she was in correct position when she was a real baby. I was working her tonight though and the penny has definitely dropped and she seems to be able to keep control of her position when fired up :eek: . Just got to work through her people scardy issues so I can get her into the ring.

I find it much easier to watch the video's and then try it out with my dog, I enjoy going to class but sometimes its difficult to see what you and the dog should look like when the instructor just explains what to do but without a dog. This is my first dog that I am training properly even though I have had dogs before and I just want to help him get things right :thumbsup: he is smart and learns quickly.

I just saw that Cider is only 7 months old?? Help my boy is 11 months old and he is no where near as good as that :( That focus and attention is sooo good.

Edited by Masons_mom

I just saw that Cider is only 7 months old?? Help my boy is 11 months old and he is no where near as good as that :thumbsup: That focus and attention is sooo good.

Cider is a very lucky girl, she has one of the best trainers/handlers around!

I have a 3 year old who struggles with attention, so don't beat yourself up MM :( I just know that with my next dog, focus and attention is one of the very first key things I will be teaching! I didn't know it was so important back then :eek::walkdog: You learn so much with each and every dog!

Yes boxagirl Toby will be there tomorow (unless there is a storm) i missed it a few weeks cause my older girl was unwell and then I had an agility trial.

Will you have Wolf or Bondi?

Bondi tommorrow, me and my friend have decided to bring our "retired" dogs down for the night :eek:

I just saw that Cider is only 7 months old?? Help my boy is 11 months old and he is no where near as good as that :shrug: That focus and attention is sooo good.

Cider is a very lucky girl, she has one of the best trainers/handlers around!

I have a 3 year old who struggles with attention, so don't beat yourself up MM :laugh: I just know that with my next dog, focus and attention is one of the very first key things I will be teaching! I didn't know it was so important back then :D :cheer: You learn so much with each and every dog!

Yep, like not to let your OH 'train' your new puppy when he said he wanted a dog of his own to train.... and then find out that he has hardly done anything with her (except create problems) and she's almost 4 months old!!! :cheer: And then *someone* has to pick up the pieces! I'm STILL trying to get rid of bad habits he created and she's almost 2! :)

Lesson learned - next dog he isn't allowed to touch!!

Edited by TerraNik