Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love nothing more then being given trained dogs to take out for a test spin - I have had the great pleasure of working not only some of Ptolomy's kids but bedazzledx2's Brooklyn and another absolutely awesome standard poodle Kiri belonging to another WA trainer and its an experience that stays with you for life. :laugh:

I had that chance one time when I was training Kirra to work sheep on a friend's sheep property. We were having a bad day one time, so my friend said, put Kirra up in the car without comment, and then come back and do the exercise with Pearl - her working bred BC - her top dog - Wow!!! That was so good in terms of teaching me where I needed to be and what I needed my dog to be.

You're right, ness - and experience that stays with you. :)

UM - very poor excuse Jules P :) - I have 5 dogs (4 competing and 1 retired) 4 do agility and 5 still come training for obedience, I work full time, also run a boarding kennel, have 2 2 legged kids and I am helping a mate do up a house - so limited time - yep I do understand - buts its no excuse.

Maybe you should have just said happy to chug along at your own time/rate :) Nope not picking on you just pointing out different priorities I guess.

back in my box now......

Got any time management tips in regards to dog training/fitness? :thumbsup: Fitness is something I am really pedantic on - swimming/biking/plenty of off-lead running/hill work but that takes time as well.

I find two dogs easier than one training wise though, particularly now Zee is a bit older. I cart all my gear out as my backyard is too slopey for most agility so to pack it in the car and set it up for one dog means you do tend to overtrain :o Now I train two dogs in the same amount of time and achieve more as a result. That goes for my "kitchen work" as well (don't ever walk around my place in the dark - who knows what you'll stand on/trip over! :laugh: )

The nice thing about obedience training is that the dogs can only concentrate for such short bursts, I myself do about 10 mins in the morning and then about 10 or 15 mins training again in the evening so it doesnt take that much time. Its the walking them etc that takes way more time IMO :laugh: I am only doing obedience at the moment but if all goes well on the tracking open day on saturday then we will also be giving tracking a go, I think its something Mason will enjoy. It does take a bit of time though as training is a few hrs each saturday morning.

I've been neglecting Trixie and as a result she destroyed one of OH's work boots yesterday :) Completely gutted it! Oops. So I'd better give her a bit of mental and physical stimulation tonight!

Just going to do some agility basics with her and for Kyzer we are going to teach that 'HERE' means 'come here to ME', not 'go through the shiny TUNNEL, weeeeeeeeee!' :laugh:

UM - very poor excuse Jules P :laugh: - I have 5 dogs (4 competing and 1 retired) 4 do agility and 5 still come training for obedience, I work full time, also run a boarding kennel, have 2 2 legged kids and I am helping a mate do up a house - so limited time - yep I do understand - buts its no excuse.

Maybe you should have just said happy to chug along at your own time/rate :) Nope not picking on you just pointing out different priorities I guess.

back in my box now......

Ps - tell us more about your puppy

Let me see. I also work full time. Have horses as well. Work as an instructor and have a 4 acres property that I look after by myself. And then there are the cats.

Nothing to do with priorities. The truth and what I should have said is that I believe in training on a scale. My horse background I guess.

Point taken Jules P Not about to get into a slanging match that was never the intention ......sorry if I offended

For me if I want something enough - I will do everything I can to make it happen and because I am busy need to put steps in to make things easier in the long run, hence getting up early, somedays training twice a day and working on lots of things when the dog is young with a view to revisiting further down the track.

Amypie you have no excuse - get off your butt and do something with Trixie before you go to work - you bad girl!

Think Ptolomy has decided I am a lost cause and since she is so busy getting PMs from everybody regarding i-squeaks I no longer hear from her :rofl: .

I'd say she's using what time she has to train :rofl:

.....and to pack boxes as settlement of the house is getting closer :laugh:

......not to mention trying to get people out to repair the house and fence damage from the storm so that settlement isn't delayed

:):thumbsup::o:)

Think Ptolomy has decided I am a lost cause and since she is so busy getting PMs from everybody regarding i-squeaks I no longer hear from her :rofl: .

I'd say she's using what time she has to train :rofl:

.....and to pack boxes as settlement of the house is getting closer :laugh:

......not to mention trying to get people out to repair the house and fence damage from the storm so that settlement isn't delayed

:thumbsup::o:):rofl:

...excuses, excuses :)

Ok so I bought out the first metal article tonight. I quickly realised getting her just to pick it up will prove challenging :confused: It took 15 minutes just to get her to hold it if I presented it to her and to get her trying to pick it up off the ground. We have polished wooden floors and I think that makes it tricky for her to pick it up as the metal article is so much lower to the ground than her dumbell and it tends to slip on the floor. But, after fifteen minutes she got I wanted her to pick it up and she was really trying hard to get it up off the ground :laugh: Ah well at least we've started and are giving it a go! :rofl:

She is SO keen on her dumbell now. As soon as she spots it in the box I keep the dog gear she takes it out and presents it to me with a perfect hold :laugh: At training last night I had it on the ground and she kept going over to it, picking it up and presenting it to me :laugh: She really has it worked out which is great! She knows exactly what it is all about (I hold this and show mum and get a nom :laugh:).

She really enjoys learning new things and you can see she gets a bit frustrated but that makes her more and more keen and as soon as she 'gets it' she gets so excited and even more enthusiastic :whiteflag:

And Ptolomy what you said earlier about them enjoying learning new and more difficult things as it makes them more enthusiastic about doing the "boring" stuff they already know is so true! Daisy gave me very enthusiastic and drivey heel work in between dumbell/article training tonight!

Edited by huski

Cider is now working 7 metals and 5 woods mixed together - will give it a day or two before trying her on leathers.

I noticed this morning that she was even more confident going to the pack and making the correct decision. I will try and get it on video over the weekend.

Well done Cider - look forward to the video :whiteflag: .

I might head out again today and try a session or two with Kenz. My video camera is charged but not sure I am game to video a session - maybe next week.

Edited by ness

Cider is now working 7 metals and 5 woods mixed together - will give it a day or two before trying her on leathers.

I noticed this morning that she was even more confident going to the pack and making the correct decision. I will try and get it on video over the weekend.

Are you using the same scented article or are you doing a fresh scent on an aired article each time??

:rofl: Hi guys!

Hope you don't mind me jumping in this thread; I thought it'd be better than starting my own... please bear with my inexperience :laugh:

I am trying to do some targeting with Archie, so here is our set up

Me:

impatient

uncoordinated

confused as to what I am supposed to be doing! :confused:

Archie

livewire

hyperactive and OCD

uncoordinated too!

I have been using a clicker to do short sessions in the evening in the living room (away from distractions as much as possible); I use two different shaped lids for each paw and a target stick for the nose.

Archie has grasped the concept (I was actually surprised he'd be able to differentiate between 2 different shapes :whiteflag: ), however I am struggling to build duration. The instant he's done the touch (even if I haven't clicked yet), his foot goes back on the ground and he is staring intently at the hand the treat should be coming from.

When and how should I start using a cue? Haven't decided on words yet (so any suggestions are welcome :laugh: ; I use 'paw' and 'shake' for the normal trick). Once the cue are introduced, should I only treat when the behaviour follows the cue, and ignore it if the behaviour is given upon presentation of the target before I give the cue?

Also, where do I go from there? I don't want him to get bored with the same repetition every night...

Edited by fbaudry