Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Take it from them and set them up again in the learning stages. So will usually replace the unscented one with another unscented one and then pick the scented one up again and start again. Further down the track I have been known to take the wrong article and just send them back to the pile again and reward when they find the correct one.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All this talk about scent discrimination inspired me to dust off the box of articles and do some work with Kynan this afternoon. It's been about 6 months since we last did any article work. He did great and is now picking up metals! Silly boy did get a bit confused at times with his Tracking training and dropped to indicate the articles a few times instead of picking them up!

Bring your camera to training and I'll take some for you :)

I tried to get some video this morning of Cider bear doing scent - well I have a very nice video of my legs and Cider's bottom half doing scent - or Cider leaving me to go and find the scent article and disappearing off the screen. Hmm lets just say this videoing is a work in progress :)

Thanks Rivsky! Today was the third training session we did with the articles (work has been super hectic lately!) and was the first time she started picking them up with any real enthusiasm. I definitely think putting them on the towel helped her confidence with picking them up. It has definitely clicked with her that picking the metal up and bringing it to me = super duper food reward :)

Good job :)

Just a suggestion.....careful not to make your body language part of the exercise. She is looking to you for confirmation and you are consistantly giving her a second signal to bring it in. This could haunt you later on!!!! I would either be closer, or click after she has selected and taken one step towards you and throw the food behind you. Gradually increase the amount of steps towards you before you click and throw.

Thanks Rivsky! Today was the third training session we did with the articles (work has been super hectic lately!) and was the first time she started picking them up with any real enthusiasm. I definitely think putting them on the towel helped her confidence with picking them up. It has definitely clicked with her that picking the metal up and bringing it to me = super duper food reward :)

Seriously if it's not one thing it's another .

So you may of already read in the brags thread that today diesel and i attempted to compete (lol) in the SA state obedience championships in novice . Now it was raining continuously and for the first time ever King Diesel made it known to me that apparently he doesn't like wet grass . Our heel work was a master of disaster all down to the wet grass. missed all positions sits and drops (stands were amazing funnily enough !)and he just wasn't paying any attention as did not want to be out in the rain any longer ! Now diesel is a staffordshire bull terrier so short coated . Has any one else had a similar issue and if so what did you do to try to fix it . Diesel is a very willing worker and does anything to please so this was really unexpected , and it was definately the grass cause as soon as i got home i did some quick work on our pavers and he was fine, went onto the wet grass wouldn't work at all ... Any ideas or suggestions ???

I've known many Staffies that hate to drop in the wet grass...can't say I blame them :) They don't have much in the way of coat on the belly so maybe a water proof coat might help?

Seriously if it's not one thing it's another .

So you may of already read in the brags thread that today diesel and i attempted to compete (lol) in the SA state obedience championships in novice . Now it was raining continuously and for the first time ever King Diesel made it known to me that apparently he doesn't like wet grass . Our heel work was a master of disaster all down to the wet grass. missed all positions sits and drops (stands were amazing funnily enough !)and he just wasn't paying any attention as did not want to be out in the rain any longer ! Now diesel is a staffordshire bull terrier so short coated . Has any one else had a similar issue and if so what did you do to try to fix it . Diesel is a very willing worker and does anything to please so this was really unexpected , and it was definately the grass cause as soon as i got home i did some quick work on our pavers and he was fine, went onto the wet grass wouldn't work at all ... Any ideas or suggestions ???

Yeah i didn't really wanna be in the rain either :) and i seriously feel sorry for him (poor little manny). Can you put a coat on in the ring ? can you get any coats that cover the belly?

Good job :)

Just a suggestion.....careful not to make your body language part of the exercise. She is looking to you for confirmation and you are consistantly giving her a second signal to bring it in. This could haunt you later on!!!! I would either be closer, or click after she has selected and taken one step towards you and throw the food behind you. Gradually increase the amount of steps towards you before you click and throw.

Thanks for the suggestion Bedazzled... definitely something we need to work on!

Gees Huski a lot of people would give their eye teeth to have a dog picking up metal so enthusiastically after 3 sessions - well done :)

Thanks Ptolomy! Once she gets what I need her to do she can get quite enthusiastic - she really enjoys training :rofl:

Can you put a coat on in the ring ? can you get any coats that cover the belly?

Yep you can for both the above and I often trial River in a coat in cold wet weather.

If you only want it on for either the ring work or stays and not both you need to ask the judge's permission to put it on/take it off before you go back in the ring though.

OK I have another SD related question!

When you are in the early stages (say working on just one or two metal articles) do you scent a different article each time? I just realised that I've been using the same numbered article each time. Also, does everyone clean their articles after using them or do you just leave them in a container to air?

Huski - as you know I have just started teaching Cider scent. To begin with I use the same article for all our training sessions - so it gets kept separate to all the rest - this way it is very heavily scented and seems to help with the learning phase of bringing back the one that smells of me.

I will keep using this same heavily scented articles for the next couple of weeks.

I have one of those tug pouch things you can put food in that I've never used so today I started the dogs off retrieving it. Sophie was a star, went out and got it each time and brought it back to my hand, Banjo wasn't such a natural, I was happy when he picked it up even if only for a second.

Huski - as you know I have just started teaching Cider scent. To begin with I use the same article for all our training sessions - so it gets kept separate to all the rest - this way it is very heavily scented and seems to help with the learning phase of bringing back the one that smells of me.

I will keep using this same heavily scented articles for the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for the tip Ptolomy! I will keep on using the same one :laugh:

Sorry to talk about boring stuff but Amber (4 months) is cracking me up with her recalls. She comes in so fast that she does a skid and a couple of rolls to stop. Haven't seen anything like it, she thinks it is the best game.

Here she is flying in:

rky7ba.jpg

I recognise that pretty puppy! Hi Jules, saw you at Herding the other week, I'm the Smooth Collie owner, der, you'll see her in my signature.

Great photo - let's hope she keeps that enthusiasm up for everything.

Can you put a coat on in the ring ? can you get any coats that cover the belly?

Yep you can for both the above and I often trial River in a coat in cold wet weather.

If you only want it on for either the ring work or stays and not both you need to ask the judge's permission to put it on/take it off before you go back in the ring though.

Thanks i really didn't know you could put one on for the ring . that's great news . Just so i have this right can i choose (with judges permission) to leave it on for the entire time ring work and stays ???