My Angelic Beagle, And The Terrible Black Cat

SeeGee

Hi team,

We have new neighbours. They seem fine, no worries there, keep to themselves like we do.

They have a black kitty - looks lovely enough to me....not to charlie.

He is not a barker as a rule, the occasional snort, you know, but when he sees this cat he goes off!!! What can I do? If the cats in our yard whilst we are out, there is not alot I can do - and I dont think its fair to keep charlie inside in case the cat comes into our yard! But when he sees the cat when it is on their ppty he barks, what can I do? The cats allowed to be on their ppty and, as above, I cant keep him inside! Any tips? Ideas? Anything?

Grrrrrr - I dont want to get in trouble for a barking dog!

Thanks,

Jacqui

If it's just the barking that is a concern - and I can understand why you'd be worried about it becoming a habit - I'd probably just try and train him to tolerate the cat. It can be done. Sit out there with him when he can see the cat in their yard and teach him to be quiet in its presence, and hopefully the novelty will wear off. It's all I can suggest. If it was coming into your yard you could ask them to keep it inside, but as you say it's allowed in their place.

I had to teach one of mine not carry on at possums. She still watches them but doesn't react anywhere as much as she did.

Edited by Diva

I kinda have the same problem with my Charlie :(

We have a cat next door that likes sitting on the fence, and Charlie barks at it like mad. It's out of our control if we aren't there, luckily none of the neighbours has sat anything about the bark.

Although, the barking isn't the thing that worries me... it's the fact that he tries to jump up to get it! My partner has tried to catch the cat a few times, so we can introduce them together.. but the damn cat is too fast! Charlie is mostly inside in the day though.

We put citrus spray along our fence a few times and that keeps the cat off it.. but the rain keeps washing it away.

Edited by charleswentworth

I have a Beagle and a Cocker Spaniel. There are two cats next door and just the sound of their bell jingling is enough to set my two dogs off. They go insane!

When they start barking I ask them to be quiet and when they do they get a treat. They have learnt very quickly that being quite when they hear the cat means tiny bits of sausage.

It took a while for the cocker to get this (she's a happy idiot) but my beagle picked it up straight away.

LOL cheers everyone. Im going to spray the cat with a bottle filled with water when ever it comes on the ppty. And Im not going to restrict charlie in his own yard. *sigh* going to train him more, and also play hardball when it comes to the cat being on my ppty.

Thanks Guys,

Jacqui

Sounds good Jacqui. Can I suggest that you do the chasing off your property yourself and without involving Charlie. Don't just let Charlie do it if you then want him to tolerate the cat being in its own yard (where he can see it) without barking at it. You want him to think cats are 'ho hum', not that they get 'mum' excited and its his job to move them on. That will lead to barking.

Edited by Diva

If it's just the barking that is a concern - and I can understand why you'd be worried about it becoming a habit - I'd probably just try and train him to tolerate the cat. It can be done. Sit out there with him when he can see the cat in their yard and teach him to be quiet in its presence,

I'm thinking in that direction, too.

Except I'd try something that the UQ Adoption program suggested when I was taking a cat home to live with 2 small dogs & 1 next door.

That was, to make something good happen for the dogs, whenever the cat was in sight.

Like, if your beagle is a sucker for treats....do some training where the cat hoves in sight, & the dog is directed to Sit, with his eye on the treat. Don't give him any treats when out in the yard for a while. ONLY when the cat is in sight. You might be able to get the cooperation of your neighbours in setting this up. Because it's for the good of their ears, too, to stop the barking.

It's hoped that the last thing the dog then wants is to bark & send the cat off. Rather, sight of the cat is a good thing because treats get associated with it.

(Worked in our case. Put the new puss in a crate....then brought in the 2 dogs. Exact moment their eyes hit on the cat... a liver treat was waved above their heads & they were told 'Sit'. Yum....they did. Full interest went to more liver treats. Cat stuck head out of crate door & a third head joined the liver treat queue! )

Edited by mita

LOL cheers everyone. Im going to spray the cat with a bottle filled with water when ever it comes on the ppty. And Im not going to restrict charlie in his own yard. *sigh* going to train him more, and also play hardball when it comes to the cat being on my ppty.

Thanks Guys,

Jacqui

If you want a bit more bang for your squirt . . . spike the water with perfume or ammonia or something . . . not strong enough to hurt the cat . . . but enough to help it decide that your house is an EVIL place. My mother used to do this with neighbours cats who hung around her bird feeder . . . it worked pretty well and gave her great satisfaction. she bought something like an AK47 squirt gun rather than a bottle.

Sounds good Jacqui. Can I suggest that you do the chasing off your property yourself and without involving Charlie. Don't just let Charlie do it if you then want him to tolerate the cat being in its own yard (where he can see it) without barking at it. You want him to think cats are 'ho hum', not that they get 'mum' excited and its his job to move them on. That will lead to barking.

Agree.