Inflamed Eyes

Pheebs

Hi there,

At 4pm this afternoon I noticed that our Dane, Lucy's right eye was massively swollen - particularly at the lower lid. I took her to the vet around 4:30 where she put some kind of drops in to see whether there was any scratch on the eye - there wasn't. OH had noted a few stray wasps around the yard (no nests to be found) last week but I haven't noticed anything in my travels. Last weekend we gave the girls an outdoor bungalow (spoilt little buggers!) each with their own couch. After much shredding of the cushions, we decided to reinforce these with hessian bags to stop those pesky nails from shredding through them.

I was unsure as to whether it was a wasp sting or hessian fibres that had caused the irritation in her eye but the vet said there appeared to be no foreign matter in there, that the lower lid was very swollen and the upper eyelashes were swelling and rolling inwards and at risk of ulcerating the eye.

Lucy was given an anti-inflammatory injection and some 'Gentasone Ophthalm Solution' to use 3-4 times a day for 5 days.

At 7pm this evening she appeared to be doing so much better already. THe vet said that the anti=inflammatory injection would see her benefit for about 12 hours.

We took Tess and Maggie for a walk around the local area, and came back and noticed that her other (left) eye is now incredibly swollen as well with a more inner eyelid (?) than her original irritation. I've given her some of the drops that were recommended for her original eye.

Our local vet is now closed, should I be taking her to emergency or just treating her with the same drops as recommended for her other eye? Will the anti-inflammatory injection she was given earlier serve to help this new irritation?

Thanks in advance :(

(As a side-note, Lucy has gastro for the second time this month which she is being trated with Metrogyl 200 as well - unsure as to this relevance or any correlation - poor little devil seems to find herself in all sorts of trouble).

Photos below are of her new inflammation :)

Update 15 minutes later after this post, her nose has now come out in bumps. :laugh:

post-1327-1266399422_thumb.jpg

post-1327-1266399439_thumb.jpg

post-1327-1266399450_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pheebs

Back with not much of an answer :(

Vet was hesitant to give her further anti-inflammatory injections as the injection she had previously this afternoon should have covered her for further swelling so we're all pretty confused as to why this has happened.

He's given her a shot of Niramine antihistamine but apparently there's not much else I can do :)

post-1327-1266408321_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pheebs

One of my Staffy's looked similar to this about a year ago, took her straight to the emergency Vet thinking she had been stung by a bee or a wasp.

The anti-histamine shot settled it down over night. Hopefully it works out that well for you.

Awwwww the poor wee thing!!!! Sorry you didn't really get much help from the vet! jeeez I'd be a bit upset as I'd have to drive a couple a hundred ks to see one so I'd have hoped for more help. Still I guess if there's nothing else they can think of to do you cant do much about it.

It does look like a European wasp sting or similar. Have you got them around your place? Is it possible she came across them? I have treated wasp stings successfully with natural remedies such as ACV but that's immediately after they've been stung. And I wouldn't use that right near an eye like that. That's a very tricky spot to treat!!

Perhaps try applying a cold compress to the eye - that can help with swelling and can also be soothing.

Also chamomile tea applied to the swelling could be good but I'd make sure she's not allergic to it first (rare but does happen). It's also good for her eye. I'm successfully using chamomile and calendula tea for my dogs skin allergy.

I took Lucy outside at 3am to wee, her eye/muzzle was still notably puffy but seemed to be a tiny bit better.

At 5am she was writhing and wriggling around in absolute agony and her body was covered in lumps and swelling - under her chin, across her chest and underneath her belly, and her original eye had flared up again.

At 8 o'clock this morning she seems to be a little bit better underneath the chin but the lumps around her body remain. She's booked in to see the vet at 9.30 who hopefully can shed some light on what the hell is happening to her!!! Original vet tells us the anti-inflammatory injection she was given was Meloxicam so im not sure whether they can give her any more today to give her some relief :(

ETA: Spottychick the OH says the wasps he saw last week appeared to be European wasps :(

post-1327-1266442203_thumb.jpg

post-1327-1266442255_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pheebs

looks like a VERY nasty case of hives - poor girl,

maybe consider getting her some allergy testing done...so you are aware of the triggers.

and now think back to ANYTHING slightly different she could have been exposed to yesterday.....

Hope she loses her lumps during the day, and that you all get a good sleep tonight!

Best of luck at the vets.

:(

ps:

I can sympathise- I have been like that due to a msg allergy. :(

eyes swollen shut-the works!

Poor girl - how distressing it must be for all of you. :( I'm not a vet so probably no help at all but my OH is severely allergic to most stinging/biting insects and I've seen his eyes swell almost closed. He doesn't take an anti-inflam though but rather an antihistamine.

*edit to correct spelling

Edited by 16Paws

wow gees Pheebs, poor Lucy!

What you have described sounds so much like an allergic reaction to some sort of sting/bite etc, so I can't work out why on earth the first vet give meloxicam and not a shot of cortisone?!?! Meloxicam would do absolutely nothing for that sort of reaction and is likely the reason she couldn't be given the glucocorticoid (cortisone) by the second vet, because of the increased risk of gastrointestinal ulceration when you give the two together.

Fingers crossed her swelling and hives settle down soon - poor thing must be in so much discomfort...

Back with not much of an answer :laugh:

Vet was hesitant to give her further anti-inflammatory injections as the injection she had previously this afternoon should have covered her for further swelling so we're all pretty confused as to why this has happened.

He's given her a shot of Niramine antihistamine but apparently there's not much else I can do :laugh:

Poor Baby!