Inflamed Eyes

Pheebs

Please tell me my dog isn't always going to look like Marilyn Manson :laugh:

mmm what did the Vet say about this?

Her eyes were too puffy this morning to even differentiate between the two this morning.

I'm really scared now - has the vet perhaps avoided the steroids because of her gastro antibiotics by any chance? I don't know im just clutching any reasoning out of thin air

I don't know what to do - she seems a lot more comfortable now and is having a sleep on the rug but the difference between her eyeballs is really concerning - the drops she has been given apparently have a local anaesthetic in them which I would understand would make them appear strange but theyre not equally weird :laugh:

Edited by Pheebs

Is it possible they put atropine in the other eye, dilating that pupil, which is in turn telling the brain there is too much light coming in, and thus constricting the other pupil?

Otherwise the main things that can constrict a pupil like would be pain, uveitis or nerve dysfunction.

Can't think of any reason that cortisone wouldn't have been given initially. Can't think why meloxicam would have been given - it just doesn't act on those inflammatory pathways that cortisone does. The standard treatment here and in almost every text for an acute, localised anaphylaxis is dexamethasone and an antihistamine.

Poor doggy - poor YOU!! I'd be freaking out too. Have you tried calling a new vet and talking with them about it. Maybe someone on DOL knows a good one in your area who will help you on the phone and/or bring you in for a different treatment if needed.

Otherwise, you might try giving these guys a call - Robert mcDowells

Their phone number is 02 6331 3937 and I've always found them really helpful.

You could also direct them to your photos online or email them to their office. Even if you don't go with their remedies (I do and they have always been very good) they explained things to me very clearly and helped me a lot when I contacted them with various ills relating to my dogs. Especially the cancer my boy had. They also suggested some useful things for my dad when he was battling lung cancer - many of which I could buy cheaply at a supermarket or already had on hand.

ETA :laugh: for you and the Manson-eyed one!!

Edited by spottychick

Hope your girl is doing better.

I had a staffy a few years ago that had this happen - we lived in the NT so the european wasp was not the cause, Max had been bitten by what they thought was a spider (possibly a redback). First noticed the eyes puff up and close, then his whole skin seemed swollen (made his hair stand up) and he was hypersensitive when touched.

He was given large doses of antihistamine regualrly for 2 days (sorry I dont racall the brand, it was years ago) and we were told to keep him very cool and as still as possible for that time. It did take the whole 2 days, but he recovered fully.

hope this helps you feel a bit better...

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Her eyes are practically back to normal and her hives had virtually disappeared but have now popped up again after a meal.

We're feeding her boiled chicken and rice to soothe her tummy after the gastro but she is taking her antibiotic and antihistamines at meal times as well.

Given that she didn't have any hives until 7 hours after her first antihistamine injection, I know it's a stretch but what are the chances that she has a sensitivity to antihistamine? (Dumb question I know)

Is it likely that she's allergic to the antibiotic?

Surely it's not chicken and rice? :)

We've given her an Aloveen bath to help take some of the itch out with no success. Still, she's got a great appetite as per usual and is harrassing Maggie as is to be expected :thumbsup:

Edited by Pheebs

Calendula Tea wash helps my boy immensely, with hives. Reduces their size and helps stem potential for secondary skin infection. Reduces itchiness quite dramatically. Calendula is Marigold Flower. I personally don't know of anyone who has used it and had issues, but if your dog has a sensitivity to pollen I guess you'd need to take that into consideration.

ETA: Pheebs .... I know it is after hours so you wouldn't be able to get any now (from a Health Food Store), but if you really want to try it (even on a small area first) tonight to see if you can give your dog some relief, you are welcome to come over to my place (I'm in Berwick .... not sure where you are) and I will give you some which should be enough to tide you over for 24 hours or so. I keep the stuff in stock as a stand-by.

Edited by Erny

Calendula Tea wash helps my boy immensely, with hives. Reduces their size and helps stem potential for secondary skin infection. Reduces itchiness quite dramatically. Calendula is Marigold Flower. I personally don't know of anyone who has used it and had issues, but if your dog has a sensitivity to pollen I guess you'd need to take that into consideration.

ETA: Pheebs .... I know it is after hours so you wouldn't be able to get any now (from a Health Food Store), but if you really want to try it (even on a small area first) tonight to see if you can give your dog some relief, you are welcome to come over to my place (I'm in Berwick .... not sure where you are) and I will give you some which should be enough to tide you over for 24 hours or so. I keep the stuff in stock as a stand-by.

That's a lovely offer Erny! And yes it is darn good stuff. I get it online from Vitaminme.

And yes, chicken could be the problem. Maybe next time just try some rice and cooked veggies and see what happens. Altho if you've always fed her chicken that would seem unlikely.

I get it [Calendula] online from Vitaminme.

Curious only, SC. How much does it cost you?

Mine comes in a clear celephane bag and I've never really taken much notice of the volume/weight on it, so it is difficult to tell. But the bag would be about 20cm or more x about 13cm wide. I'm going from memory, so I could be out by a bit. I get it for $8.00.

You would have postage/handling of course, whereas I'm lucky enough to have a Health Food Store not far from me that I can go visit to collect from.

Sorry for the OT Pheebs. I hope your dog is feeling and looking better. Whatever it is that is causing this, it certainly happened in a hurry.

Hi all,

Firstly, Erny thank you so much for your kind offer - sorry I hadn't been on earlier to say this but i've had a terrible flu!!

Fortunately I think Lucy is in the clear! She's back to her devilish self and we've continued to feed her on the chicken and rice with no problems whatsoever and have stopped both the antibiotics and the antihistamine tablets and all hives have gone so deductive reasoning would argue that either of those two are the culprits.

We've set up European Wasp traps around and have caught a few little blighters so far! :rock:

The house behind ours is an absolute junkyard with hard rubbish all over the yard so it wouldn't surprise me if there were more than a few nests set up across the fenceline :p

We'll also be looking into a new vet, that's for sure! Is there a vet that anyone can recommend in Inner West Melbourne?

Thanks for all your help and suggestions everyone :laugh:

im not sure about your local council but ours wants us to contact them if european wasps are about & they will come out

I had EW's nesting inside one of the exterior walls of my home. They made their way in their through a very tiny gap that was between the brickwork and the window frame. I rang our local Council (Casey) for some help, but they told me that because it was in my home property, it was up to me to deal with it.

Glad your dog is better, Pheebs. That was a big and fast reaction, which would have made it all the more alarming.

Edited by Erny