Colour Enhancing Shampoos

FranVT

Hey guys, I want to buy some good colour enhancing shampoo for Luuka's first show on the 13th of March.

I have some questions:

1. Does it work?

2. Luuka is mostly black with tan and white markings. If I buy a black enhancing shampoo, do I have to be careful not to get any on her markings?

3. I really need one that can add depth to the little bit of sun-fade that her coat has - any recommendations?

Thanks!

I think the white enhancing shampoos are are great. I've used them on horses and dogs.

The 'black enhancing' ones I think just mask red in the way that the white enhancing ones mask yellow tones by introducing a colour at the other end of the spectrum. I don't think they dye the dog as such - they aren't on long enough to do so anyway. :rolleyes:

Awesome I'm googling Equinade now. Local horse supplies store would probably have it though I suppose. Luuka does have that reddish tinge from being outside in the sun, it'd be nice if her coat was all shiny and black again :(

Awesome I'm googling Equinade now. Local horse supplies store would probably have it though I suppose. Luuka does have that reddish tinge from being outside in the sun, it'd be nice if her coat was all shiny and black again :(

Yes you certainly can use Equinade whitening shampoo on all colours. I have used it on black, white, fawn, blue and red dogs.

ETA This shampoo should only be used on show days as it can dry out coats if used on a regular basis.

Edited by groupfive

A red tinge on a black coat is often caused by dead hair and you can strip a lot of it out with a fine toothed comb. It could also be the remains of his puppy fluff. Colour enhancing shampoos can help a little, but they won't hide the red tinge completely. UV rays will ruin a black coat so don't let him lie around in the sun too much and if you take him to the beach sun exposure combined with sea water is even worse.

Thanks! I only decided recently and joined Dogs Queensland. Going to a show in my town on the 6/7 of March to try to learn as much as possible before I go up to Mackay to show her for the first time on the 13th and 14th of March.

She doesn't hang out in the sun that much, also it's been raining pretty much solidly for weeks now in Rocky! She goes out and plays in the yard but she naps inside on the tiles so I wouldn't think it'd be too much sun, I think it is probably a lot of puppy fur, I have a double-sided fine toothed comb somewhere so I'll grab that and start stripping it out, I gave her a bath yesterday and a brush afterwards and lots of fur did seem to be coming out so that could very well be it.

A red tinge on a black coat is often caused by dead hair and you can strip a lot of it out with a fine toothed comb. It could also be the remains of his puppy fluff.

+1

I'd be waiting to see what maturity will bring before I worry too much about the cosmetic side of things, especially the artificial type stuff.

I use equinade whitening also. I really like it, but also agree it is a bit drying (on my hands too) so not for use every week and with my dogs' coats I use a conditioning rinse afterwards. But I have a bichon and poodle x - very different coat texture so you might have a different experience.

I also use groomers EPO - much more moisturising and more soothing for my hands also.