How Would You Handle This?

Didles

OKay so we were suppose to pick up our baby boy today but the breeder rang and said he was off his morning food, will try again for lunch if its fine I could come down then. So I ring again at 2pm and he tells me that he was just about to do it and it didn't look good and leave it for a couple of days. Now I get he did do the right thing letting us know that things arent good.

So later on Tonight (about 8:30pm) I sent a text asking if everything is fine, if he took him to the vet, and when would we be able to pick him up.

I have heard nothing, would you communicate a bit more if you were the breeder? My kids are really upset as they were expecting to come home and he would be here. I just think that it has been a poor effort. Hubby wants to go there tomorrow and see whats what.

Any ideas what I can do next?

I know it must be disappointing but letting a pup go to it's new home when it's not 100% is not fair on the new owner or the puppy. It is a big upheavel and going to a new home can bring on a tummy upset at the best of times. Perhaps their mobile is flat or they don't check messages or they are just really busy or out.....

As you were supposed to be picking up the puppy today, I think the breeder owes you a detailed explanation of what is actually going on....I would be wanting to know tomorrow the dogs health status, vets diagnosis and how long does the vet think you will be waiting. Feel for the breeder if puppies are sick at this time (pick up time) would be very dissapointing all round...hope its nothing serious. With regard to not answering the phone.......if all puppies are sick I could understand, it would be a difficult time, and they would have lots of puppy buyers ringing them, that said they do need to let you know exactly what is going on.

Edited by Bokezu

If a puppy is sick at pick up time it is always a good idea for the breeder to keep it for at least another week. Disappointing as it is to not get the puppy on the expected day, it is far worse to collect it and then have it become ill or die in the first week. Better to be sure that is 100% ok before picking it up. The breeder may be like me and not leave their mobile on when they are at home, so not have even seen the text message. Try phoning tomorrow, but they still may not be able to give you an answer unless the puppy is totally recovered. Even if it is, I would leave it another week to make sure.

thats what thought, if I was them a quick text message is not much. It is only our pup that s unwell. I do understand they are doing the responsible thing but the lack of communication is bothering me, not having answers to tell my kids.

ANKC will not allow us to hand over any puppy that is not 100%

I understand that it is hard for you not knowing what is going on but it is also hard on the breeder.

Remember that the breeder has put everything into these pups for the past 8 weeks.

I often miss messages and calls on my phone especially if I am not in the house at the time.

Give them a call today and ask how the pup is, if it is still unwell ask for a vet report.

It is far better to wait for the pup to be 100% healthy than take home a sick pup and then try to explain to the kids why the pup died.

Leanne

My goodness - please at least phone them before you think they aren't communicating with you because they didn't respond to a text message.

Not everyone is great with mobile phones, not everyone carries there phone with them 24/7 and even knows that they got a text message as soon as it was sent - gawd knows, I'm a great one for leaving my phone in my bag or the glovebox of the car and finding text messages days later!

I agree that you should be given an explanation of the current situation, but don't assume an unanswered text message is anything sinister :(

I had rang but no answer.

I sent an email as they have always been quick to respond to them and they phoned me within minutes. it had been a reaction to vacs so we will see how he is today and if not the next day. That was all I wanted was an answer. Now my 7yr old is counting down till 3pm to ring them.

Thank you for all the replies they did help just a very stressed and worried mum to be thats all.

How many pups are there in the litter? I've recently had 10 with diarrhea -- thank God not ready to go to their new homes yet -- but if I had nine puppy buyers trying to contact me at once and I didn't have clear answers to give, I'd be at wits end and might give in to hiding my head in the sand until the situation cleared up a bit. It would be better to send a brief message saying "fingers crossed, will update you when the picture is clear" . . . but you don't want to worry people too much.

It can be a difficult situation for the breeder.

Note, also, the puppy insurance programs don't cover pups who are symptomatic when they go to their new homes.

I had rang but no answer.

I sent an email as they have always been quick to respond to them and they phoned me within minutes. it had been a reaction to vacs so we will see how he is today and if not the next day. That was all I wanted was an answer. Now my 7yr old is counting down till 3pm to ring them.

Thank you for all the replies they did help just a very stressed and worried mum to be thats all.

You wanted an answerr fine but breeders cant just pull answers out of a hat.

The breeder did the right thing to inform you something wasnt right,hounding them for answers is just as bad as not getting one.

One cant give a proper answer until they now what the issue is.

Now they have an answer they have informed you,your child may have been excited & disappointed but it isnt all about him.

The breeder has been very responsable in what they have done & you should be very grateful

Show dog, I was told that they would ring after they tried feeding him and if that wasn't good taken him to the vet and they did not so I think I can be a little stressed out and not knowing. I suppose if you were in the situation and not had any experience in this you may of acted the same. I know it is not about my son, and I totally respected what the breeder did my only upset was with the lack of contact. What I did was not what I would call hounding a text message and an email. But if people wish to read things differently fair enough

Sand, he was the only one sick out of the litter, the had two mummies at the same time and they had about 13 puppies all up.

Hey i can feel fo you, you are terribly excited and its hard waiting even one more day!

on the other hand, as a breeder myself im terrible, yes i will call you back, only to forget about it 5 mins later..

Other things going on, other calls, life, etc etc.

I do tell everyone to remind me as my memory is atrocious and I will forget, my cell phone has been dead for over 3 months... and every day i still forget to get a new one.

Just a friendly email from the puppy buyers, acknowledging i may be busy, when im free can i please call them, how terribly worried you are, excited to know it pup will be there soon. etc etc.

or my friends.. their emails say HEY you cow you were sposed to call me back. do it.. NOW

I think the breeders did the right thing for sure in keeping puppy home if he is not well, but where there are kids involved it wouldnt have killed them to touch base and let you know what was happening (even with a couple of 2 second emails). I am always mindful of communicating with new puppy people especially where I know there are little people involved who are so excited about the prospect of a new puppy.

JMO

We all deal with things differently and in this case the breeder has made you aware that the puppy wasn't 100% and that it was most likely not going to be able to be collected that day.

If it had been one of my babies I would have advised that the puppy wasn't 100% and that I'd update you the following day - that would allow me ample time to assess the situation, hopefully find the problem and see what sort of improvements were happening in 24 hours time.

Glad it's all sorted now :(