Smelly Dog

We have a labrador staying with us at the moment and the owners report that even a few hours after having a bath she smells doggy again. She has been with us for 2 days and she really is quite on the nose.

She doesn't have any skin problems or allergies, beautiful coat and is well looked after.

She is on a predominantly raw diet, some dry at times.

Anyone have any suggestions even if it keeps her smell free for a week or so :laugh: would be great.

I remember reading about a final rinse of vinegar and thought this was to neutralise any shampoo and perhaps odour is it worth trying and if so what sort of dilution?

Is it wheat/cereals in dry food that can cause the problem?

I am not sure what dry the feed her, but she is basically a raw food dog eg. chicken frames, lamb flaps

It is not an anal gland smell, it seems to be just oozing out of her skin, not from any particular location if you know what I mean!

Ears and teeth are good. Just went and sniffed her flews :laugh: and they don't smell any worse than the rest of the dog.

I am not sure if they have washed her in Malaseb. I don't have any on hand to try her in unfortunately.

Densely coated or double coated breeds need to be dried properly, otherwise the coat next to the skin can remain moist and this will encourage fungal infections especially if the weather is warm and humid. Try using Malaseb and leaving it on for ten minutes then make sure that the dog is completely dry right down to the skin. Repeat four or five days later and then weekly and see if this helps.

If you are not used to the Labrador smell it could just be the natural coat odour. The Lab we had many years ago had a strong doggy smell even straight after a bath. I can't stand doggy odour and will never own another dog with a dense waterproof coat again because of it. To me many of the gundogs have a particular smell as do some breeds like Dobes. I hate it when my hand smells doggy after patting them or when you walk into someones perfectly clean house and nearly get knocked over with the smell of dog. I have noticed this particularly with owners of Goldens but never with BC owners, no matter how many dogs are in the house.

My BCs never have a doggy odour and neither do the other collie breeds, spitz breeds, most long coated breeds or those with non-shedding coats like poodles.

Not sure about the vinegar for odours but used as a coat rinse I put about half a cup in 2 litres of water.

My rescue lab came to us with a very strong body odour. A good diet improved it considerably but it can still be quite strong. When I wash her i use Fidos oatmeal shampoo first, make sure it is all well rinsed out and then wash her again with Fidos everyday shampoo, rinse very well again and dry thouroughly.

I have a particularly sensitive little nose and as a dog groomer find that most dogs have a doggy smell - some more than others - the only dog I don't really mind the smell of is the poodle - smells very different to something like a Lab.

Malaseb is very harsh - good for problem areas but I would not wash an entire dog in it.

Edited by frufru

I have been reading about equal parts apple cider vinegar to water as a final rinse (leave in) has only one had any success with this? And apple cider vinegar in drinking water?

Perhaps this might help to neutralise the odour from the inside!

It could just be a lab smell, although we board quite a few and none seem this bad :laugh:

Malaseb is very harsh - good for problem areas but I would not wash an entire dog in it.

Malaseb is fine to wash an entire dog as long as you don't use it on a regular basis. If your dog has any sort of fungal/bacterial infection it's one of most effective shampoos you can buy. It's also very good if your dog starts chewing itself in hot, humid weather, a wash in Malaseb can stop secondary infections if the dog's broken the shin anywhere. Diluted it's also an excellent ear cleaner.

Malaseb is fine to wash an entire dog as long as you don't use it on a regular basis. If your dog has any sort of fungal/bacterial infection it's one of most effective shampoos you can buy. It's also very good if your dog starts chewing itself in hot, humid weather, a wash in Malaseb can stop secondary infections if the dog's broken the shin anywhere. Diluted it's also an excellent ear cleaner.

I use it about once a month on y lab to stop him itching, also now switched him to a yeast/gluten free diet as he gets bad yeast ear infections and his whole body ended up smelling after he had the ear problem. I also got his anal glands cleaned out by the vet just in case, he had an awful small about him. Thank goodness the small hasnt come back as yet.

• 3 weeks later...