Holly's Cling-on!

Sayly

Today Holly played foster mum to the cutest of babies...

mumscamera061.jpg

Mum went outside for something else and Holly came up to her sort of looking at her side. Mum initially thought she'd ripped her side open! She called her over and had a closer look and the baby possum is what she found latched on to Holly's side.

We saw mum possum with two babies in one of our trees last night, baby must have fallen out of the log this arvo. It must have just latched on to the first furry thing it found - which happened to be Holly! Poor thing, Mum said it was so scared.

Holly was such a good girl, didn't try to eat it, just came up to Mum like "Uh... can you get it off...?"

Somehow the poor thing managed to keep away from the terriers! If Gracie or Poppy had found it, it would have been dead in a couple of seconds.

I'm very proud of Ms Holly not trying to eat it.

Mum took it off and got Dad to take the pictures, then popped it back in the hollow where it's mum and sibling were. Hope it's ok and the dogs' and Mum's scent don't make it smell too much for the mum to continue looking after.

Half sis Maizie didn't seem too interested in eating it Dotty! Even Ruby didn't seem to want to eat him/her. Poppy and Gracie didn't notice it.

I can't get over it's cuteness and how wonderful Holly was! Trust Holly to get a cling-on!

aw how cute!

and what a good girl for letting it use her as its mummy. :laugh:

I know! Very proud of my little girl. :) She was such a mother type with her 1/2 siblings, I think she would make a lovely mother. She's so gentle and loving. Very cute!

Im pretty sure Peach was the one who ate a quarter of my chicken.. Why did I get the naughty one!? :eek:

:) Maybe Sparky taught her? :p Maizie can be naughty... She's stubborn as and can be a snob. She doesn't like Mum or James, but loves me, Dad and my brother. She WON'T go to Mum at all UNLESS no one else is around. :) Usually the dogs adore Mum. Little wench. Oh OT, I have some Maizie pics loading, will put them in the Aussie thread! As if they are 5 months!!!

So cute!!!

I had that happen with one of my cats, possum must have fallen off of mum near the cat run...so latched on to one of my Birman's! So good girl that my cats is she then raced in to me to get the baby off of her :confused:

KitKat - wow I'm surprised the cat didn't eat it! What a good girl! Must have been cute. :)

BC4ME - how cute! Was it a ring tail? The one we took off Holly looks like a brushy.

We just rescued baby possum again! This time from Poppy's mouth! I brought her in so she can sleep on the bed and she brought the possum with her and dropped it just inside the backdoor when I saw it and yelled. I thought it was dead for sure but there wasn't a mark on it. It's 11pm here so we brought all the dogs in from outside and put the possum back in it's hollow. Mum's going to ring some friends tomorrow, they are fauna rescuers and run Wombat Rise Sanctuary and see what they say.

It was so cute! Poor thing must be so scared.

KitKat - wow I'm surprised the cat didn't eat it! What a good girl! Must have been cute. ;)

BC4ME - how cute! Was it a ring tail? The one we took off Holly looks like a brushy.

We just rescued baby possum again! This time from Poppy's mouth! I brought her in so she can sleep on the bed and she brought the possum with her and dropped it just inside the backdoor when I saw it and yelled. I thought it was dead for sure but there wasn't a mark on it. It's 11pm here so we brought all the dogs in from outside and put the possum back in it's hollow. Mum's going to ring some friends tomorrow, they are fauna rescuers and run Wombat Rise Sanctuary and see what they say.

It was so cute! Poor thing must be so scared.

Yup it was a baby ringtail possum. We get quite a few where we are neighbours have palm trees and they are nesting in them. They tend to run along our back fence tormenting the dogs. This one was a young back rider which had fallen off. Mother possums are not very maternal so I took it to work the next day ( I work in a vet clinic)fed it and sent it off to our wild life carer.

Your possum is a brush tail I think they are cuter than ringtails. I had one nest in the gap above my front door once. Didn't last there long it must have been too noisy for it. Probably a good thing she moved out it could have gotten rather smelly there. :)

We had Ringies living in our big old gum out the front for a while, I like both. ;) Baby brushies are gorgeous though!

My OH's parents have one living in their roof above their laundry/pantry. Whenever he gets up at night their two terriers race around barking and growling. :) The possum has lived there for yonks, doesn't seem to mind the noise.

Awww how gorgeous. Very impressed that the babies survived. They would have lasted a nanosecond here I'd say. :(

Poor little mite must have been scared stiff when Holly had it in her mouth. Hope little bubba stays with its fam and isn't in need of the fabulous services of wildlife rescue.

I love possums. They are just SO darn cute!