Barking Issues With Gsd Pup

AussieGuy

I have an 18 week old GSD (German Shepherd) that has problems with constant barking. I clicker and crate train him and so he sleeps in his crate from around 10pm til 5.45am. In the mornings he is let outside to be feed and so I can get ready for work. The problem is when I put him outside he starts barking flat out. Today I had the day off and he started to bark from 6am til around 6.30am, then again from 7am til 7.20am. As soon as I walk outside he stops, so It's hard to mark and treat with clicker training. I've tried making loud noises when he barks, I've tried telling him to sit and most of all I've tried to ignore it completely, but nothing at all works. As he is very vocal and loud, im sure my neighbours are sleepless in the morning and will eventually call the council.

Im starting to think that my only option is an anti bark collar. Should I really go down the road? If thats what helps I do it. My local petstock (Vic) sells the Petsafe Deluxe Bark Control Collar. Has anyone used this collar and do you think it will work on my 18 week old GSD?

Im not sure. Any other time of day he is fine. He is outside and being a quiet perfect dog atm. I can leave the house now and he will be just sitting there, not caring at all. He seems to only do it in the mornings (6am - 8am). He runs arounds barking at nothing. I watch him through the kitchen window and he runs around crazy, sometimes looking up and barking. There are no other dogs in my area either, so he isnt responding to any other dogs. Its almost like its a build up of frustation of being in a crate all night.

Edited by AussieGuy

Im not sure. Any other time of day he is fine. He is outside and being a quiet perfect dog atm. I can leave the house now and he will be just sitting there, not caring at all. He seems to only do it in the mornings (6am - 8am). He runs arounds and barks at nothing. There are no other dogs in my area either, so he isnt responding to any other dogs. Its almost like its a build up of frustation of being in a crate all night.

Any chance you can give him a short walk first thing?

As soon as I walk outside he stops, so It's hard to mark and treat with clicker training.

I agree with what PF has said. Work out the reason for his barking and that will give you a clearer direction.

I'm curious regarding the above though and wonder if your use of the clicker (and treat) for this problem has been or is being a contributor to the issue. Have you been clicking and treating the instance that he stops barking? If so, it is possible that he's still pairing this reward with the fact that he was barking.

It does sound like attention seeking barking and/or anxiety (being alone) barking but that can't be definitive on the small amount of information that you've given - but hinted at due to the fact that he starts when you put him out and stops when you go back out to him. I am wondering when this began - ie how old was he? Is it independence training that he needs? What introductory steps did you take to get him used to being on his own when he first came to you as a pup.

ETA: Had trouble with computer in posting this and by the time I succeeded, now see some information added by your post that potentially cancels out some of my queries.

Does it look like excitement (at a new day :laugh: ) type barking? Is it before or after he is fed?

Edited by Erny

static collars are not for dogs under about 5-6 months old. Sounds like he has a lot of energy, but saying that he needs to learn to be quiet. What happens if you stand out there with him for a while? And if he starts barking at least verbally correct him for the beginning.

You should be teaching your dog at least a quiet command, all mine know when mum yells 'shut up' they're to be nice and quiet :laugh: He also sounds like he sees the backyard as crazy time. Just a thought does he have somewhere to sleep out there like a kennel?

He seems to only do it in the mornings (6am - 8am). He runs arounds barking at nothing. I watch him through the kitchen window and he runs around crazy, sometimes looking up and barking. Its almost like its a build up of frustation of being in a crate all night.

If I were you I'd take him for a walk and give him a short training session as soon as you get up. As you say he's been confined in a crate for 8 hours and a walk will help to release some of his pent up energy. If he has a good recall and there's a park near you let him off for a run or if you're still teaching recall keep him on a long line. When you get back you can feed him and after that he should settle down. Make this your morning routine and you may find that the barking will stop.

Perhaps you could take him for a quick walk, and then give him his breakfast in a Kong or a Treat Ball?

Kong Company

Aussie Dog Tucker Ball

With the pdf, I wouldn't recommend cashews or dried apricots just because we know peanuts in excess and some dried fruits can make dogs ill.

I use light philly cream cheese quite regularly for my Puppy School pups and it's generally very popular and preferred to peanut butter. :laugh:

DEE8BC9Ad01.pdf

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

My shepherd barks when I leave for work if she has access to outdoors, I stayed home to watch her once and she will sit in the middle of the yard and bark bark bark for about 5 minutes straight, then get fed up and chase leaves or lay in the sun. Or the neighbors throw her a ball over the fence or talk to her :laugh: I have her inside in a big room at the moment cos she has a sore leg, and to be honest I have a LOT less stress now knowing she isn't potentially annoying the neighbors :rofl: