People Scared Of My Dog

chuckandsteve

I have read recently that the type of dog everyone is scared of changes about every ten years (just a weird theory) That its been dobermans, german sheps, rotties and now pit bulls. I was wondering if with the bad press Staffords have had lately if people are noticing people scared of them?

However on the weekend I was working on the front yard with my dogs, my jack/pom/malt tied to a tree and my Stafford loose as the jack has dog excitement and is not well behaved and the staffy is a model dog. We had 4 people walk past and get quite upset the Stafford wasn't tied up even though he never left the property one he was actually walking away from, but all were scared and asked me to hold on to him so they could walk past. These were dog people too... I also have a lady we she at the park who will pick her Sheltie up and carry past him at a wide berth. Does anyone else find people are scared of their Stafford?

Apart from being heavy if they jump on you I have never meet a mean natured Stafford

Are the people concerned about your Stafford concerned for themselves or their dogs?

As a dog owner I tend to give unknown Staffords a wide berth. If I came across one unsecured in a front yard, I'd probably act the same way too.

Their reputations for dog aggression are, in some instances, well deserved. Sad thing is you can't tell the DA ones from the others easily. :rofl:

Edited by poodlefan

I agree with Poodlefan. I also avoid Staffords when I have my DOG around, but if it was just me I only avoid them cos of their propensity for face lickage.

I find people are scared of my girl because she is big and black. Apparently black = evil to some people.

I think you have to be careful of assuming they were afraid because of your dog's breed. Some people just don't like dogs. People walking past have no idea of your dog's temperament. I would take a wide berth if I had my children with me, or if I had my dog with me. Some dogs just don't like children, my dog acts crazy around other dogs. It wouldn't matter if it were a chi, a stafford or a dane, I still give a dog I don't know some space.

If I'm out walking one of my dogs and I see a dog loose in a front yard I will also stop and request that the owners hold on to it and that's regardless of breed, it could be a Great Dane, a Stafford, a Chihuahua or a cross. As far as I'm concerned dogs shouldn't be loose in front yards unless they're behind secure fences.

Personally, I would give any untethered dog that had access to me a wide berth. Not everyone loves dogs. And as far as I was aware (and I know it's law in my council) dogs, even in their front yard - need to be secured to the property (fences) or on lead unless it's a non-lead area.

Just because you know your dog is safe (and do you always 100% know this, the unexpected can happen) doesn't mean people walking past your house know this.

I would never walk past a house (with our without my dogs) if there was an unsecured dog out the front. There are lots of idiots out there who think it is okay for their dog to run up to you, jump up on you etc because "he won't bite". I'm not saying you're like this, but I don't take risks with unknown dogs.

Nope because mine are always on leash, they are not allowed outside of the fenced part of my property unless they are wearing one. We do not give anyone , any cause for concern, as people can see that they are secure.

They are trained to walk in an orderly manner, when we walk each night and do not react to other dogs or people.

When using the leash free we respect the other users. We will wait until the leash free is empty before using it, or we will vacate if other unknown dogs arrive.

I don't get any negative comments or people running the other way. If they are going to say something, it's usually along the lines of " they are so well behaved " or they bend down to their yap yap and say " why can't you be like those dogs " :rofl:

Having said that, I give EVERY unsecured dog in a front yard or off leash a wide berth.

Yes, I have met some DA Staffords.

The question is mostly because they were on the oppersite side of the road and there was no way for them to know the fluffy one was tied up, as he was sitting next to the tree with the rope out of site. Also the laugh I got when I told them it was the little one they needed to worry about which is true.

All were quite suprised when I asked him to come and sit next to me and he did and didn't even look as they passed.

He does indeed have the skill to take you out at knee level. He did it to me last week. :rofl:

Edited by chuckandsteve

If I am with my dogs I am very wary of any unsecured dog regardless of breed or size (or colour :rofl: ). Even if the other dog "won't bite" if it comes and gets in the face of my charming pair of ladies they will and who gets the blame for that.

(Yes they are Staffords).

It only takes an instant for your fantastic well behaved model dog to see something on the other side of the street and get killed by a car. Why would you even want to have your dog loose in an unsecured section?

ETA: sorry, to answer your question, no I haven't found people are afraid of my dogs.

Edited by Sandra777

Most people are always going to be more wary of a bigger dog for the obvious reason that they generally can do a lot more damage.

A bite from a jack/pom/whatever would not cause too much damage. A bite from a an adult stafford...........well, I would imagine that would not be pleasant.

if I had an option, I would NOT walk past a yard containing an unknown unsecured dog larger than a SWF .

I'd be wary if I saw a SBT offlead when I had Cory with me, because I used to own a DA SBT. I'm also very wary if one comes to the dog park because you just can't tell from looking at them if they're going to be DA or not.

Having said that, I'm soon moving in with my sister who has a SBT that isn't DA, but even then the two dogs will be separated when no-ones home to supervise.

Personally I :laugh: the breed, there's nothing nicer than patting the big, thick head of a SBT! :rofl:

I don't care what breed it is. If there is a loose dog in a front yard that isn't enclosed, I give it wide berth and after having one run out at me across the other side of the road to not only bark and snarl at me but BITE me, I now sadly go into a panic at the sight of any loose dog. A dog barks behind a fence and I go into a panic that they're going to get loose, it's just not right and I hope with time I get over it :laugh: All because these people wanted their dog out in their front yard with them while they were working (and then nipped inside for a minute leaving their dog unattended :rofl:)