My Dog Is Breathing Rapidly And His Tummy Is Like Swelling! He Loo

Wing

Just then before my wife went to bed she gave our dog a piece of the lamb bone (chew treat) which is something he has like once a week or so. And after awhile I found that the bone is gone, which I doubt that if he actually chewed them all cause usually he didn't really finish the whole thing he would just leave 70% of the bone bit and treat it as a toy. Then he starting breathing rapidly.. and can't sit still, looks like he is in pain or something looking at me.. I have no idea what's happening.. I tried comforting him so I petted him a bit then I found that his tummy gone big! It's like swelling, and now I am afraid that he actually swallowed the whole bone and he is having a stomach pain! What can I do to help him????

Agree - Vet now. In fact, I hope you're not reading this because you've already left.

It could be bloat, or it could be that the lamb bone thing you gave is stuck in his oesophagus. Either way, veterinary attention is required and the earlier the better. If bloat, early vet attention can make the difference between survival and not.

It would be lovely, though, if you came back and told us it was all fixed once your dog blew wind. I hope for the best for you and your dog.

Edited by Erny

phew... thanks guys for the quick reply... I was comforting him still just then and he actually manage to vomited the bone out... and that sound of vomiting was so loud that I never heard from a dog before.. I assume he would be fine now? and he actually vomited some apple that we gave him daily as well.. and lots of them actually were in his tummy "unchewed"... gosh.. I guess I really have to do something with this little boy... >.<

If that was a cooked bone that you gave him, please don't do it again.

If it had splintered, the outcome may not have been as good.

Watch him carefully.. if shows any sign of discomfort or his stomach remains distended, I'd be making a beeline for the vet.

I won't dare to give him those bone again after seeing this happen to him. The bone he vomited out was just like a size of a small lemon... even human can't swallow something that size not to mention he is just a westie.. I am still shock by that, but he seems okay now... and he is now trying to sleep... guess he is tired after this... but I will tell my wife not to give him those bone ever again...

AARRggghhh... that was scary... i hate these posts!! when in doubt pls dont post GO TO THE VET!!

I swear u people will give me a heart attack at 23!

as above watch him very closely and vet if it isnt better...

maybe try larger bones in the future??

Sorry to scare you, but I was worse, I really had no idea what to do just then. The worst is that I do not have much knowledge about dogs as he is my first little dog I ever have... I was even sweating seeing that happen. :laugh:

It is horrible watching something like that happen! i understand - i was just being dramatic lol

Glad he is ok the poor little man :laugh:

Bones are good for dogs so do keep giving them but make sure they are RAW and of course much lager then that one.

:laugh: i think u might need a swig of something after all that to make u sleep haha

What a night... thank you very much for the advices people, my little boy is now sleeping on his bed peacefully (FINALLY!)... he is all good now... sorry for those got scared by that and thank you for those genuine advice.. I would be more cautious next time, and especially after reading info about bloat... I didn't realize it was that scary... me and my little boy were very lucky tonight..

Thanks again everyone.. have a great night.. :laugh:

oh so scary, this is one of my worst nightmares. so glad he is okay.

Take some time to read in various posts here about bones and what is suitable -- you would be very surprised at how our pooches can gobble down something that seems way too big for them - their gullets are incredible.

I would say ensure bones are so large he could not possibly swallow. I never buy those 'lamb bones' they package in the pet section of the supermarket == some of them are just too small. Brisket bones are softer and easier to chew, and other things like chicken frames/wings/necks or turkey necks for something a little bigger.

What a night... thank you very much for the advices people, my little boy is now sleeping on his bed peacefully (FINALLY!)... he is all good now... sorry for those got scared by that and thank you for those genuine advice.. I would be more cautious next time, and especially after reading info about bloat... I didn't realize it was that scary... me and my little boy were very lucky tonight..

Thanks again everyone.. have a great night.. :laugh:

:(:laugh:

Keep an eye on your dog going forward, I don't want to be negative but once they bloat they usually do again.

Know where your emergency Vet is and know how to get your dog into your car if you're by yourself as well.

Crossing fingers that it doesn't happen again though.

Yep, Westies inhale their bones, the little buggers. I can't give mine chicken necks...they sort-of slurp them up without chewing, choke, then vomit it all up again, I had to grab it before it was re-eaten!!!!

Try chicken wings with the fat cut off, they at least have to chew them and if they get stuck (so far they haven't stuck) it it'll be fairly easy to get out of their mouths as they have some length to them.

Chicken wings are the BEST...they love them!

Why not come over to the 'Westies' thread Wings and post some photos of your little bloke.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...&hl=westies

Edited by Boronia

Yea, from now on.. no way I will give him bones in those size again.

Just told my wife this morning the nightmare me and our little boy had.. she got scared and throw all the remaining lamb bones away.. :laugh: