Teaching Older Dog To Use Doggie Door?

mtchairs

Hi,

I have a seven year old labrador who has been used to being inside with someone at home to let him outside when he wants. This is no longer the case and he is now going to be on his own during the day while I am at work. I am thinking of getting a doggie door installed in our wooden laundry door that has access to the enclosed back yard, but I wonder if he is too old to be taught how to use it?

Any recommendations for a good brand and someone who can install in the Sydney metro area would be very helpful too.

Thanks

mtchairs

Agreed... never too old.

We replaced the thick plastic with a thinner moveable plastic for thomas as he just couldnt accept the feel as he went through.

Aubrey took it quicker than we thought possible :laugh:

One person inside with treats... one person outside with treats.... lots of calling and rewarding :laugh:

We put in a doggie door for Penny and Mac. It took only four or five goes for Pen to work it out (she is 12)..we put little pieces of cheese on one side and when she pushed the door to get through we repeated the same on the other side. Her guts rule her brain so it was soon worked out...all fine and dandy until Mac (who thinks everything is out to get him) decided to follow her while the door was swinging back...you guessed it...it clonked him on the noggin. It was funny/awful at the time as we could see what was going to happen and weren't quick enough to stop it.

It took weeks for Mac to push through it and I still have to hold it open sometimes for him to go through. When he wants to go out sometimes he comes to get me.

So, if you have two dogs DON'T teach them how to use the doggie-door at the same time! BAD MOVE!

a friend had same problem with an old dog she had so she lifted the plastic cover up out of the way and let the dog get used to going through without anything there and then put a thin piece of plastic there for couple of days and when dog was used to pushing through that then put the normal plastic door back down and dog was used to going in and out then and was fine, and also lots of treats and praise.

My husband made and installed a doggie door for a friends two dogs, they were about 5 and 7 at the time. We spent a couple of hours luring them through it with treats and they soon got the hang of it and after we left (we'd been staying there for the weekend), they came and went as they liked and my friends were thrilled with the arrangement (now they could sleep in and not have to get up at 5.30am to let dogs outside to toilet).

The one he made was wooden as it had to match the house which was over 100 years old and very special. The dogs soon learned that if one went out, they other had to wait until the door stopped swinging before following otherwise they'd get conked on the snout. They figured it out quickly and it soon became just part of their daily lives.

Thanks for your comments everyone. You've convinced me to go ahead and get a doggie door and now I just have to decide which type. I'm leaning towards the Staywell Aluminium one http://www.staywell.co.uk/Intl/UK/Products...600-Series.aspx. Does anyone have any experience with them? Is that type of flexible flap better than the harder plastic type?

mtchairs

Edited by mtchairs

Hi, I have just purchased a Staywell aluminium large doggy door of ebay - much cheaper than the pet stores. Check out other websites as well to save. Mine will be installed by the carpenter that is installing my new exterior back door. They already know how to use one as my mum has one and when we stay with her, they learnt how to use it. Putting a treat on the other side and coaxing them through is all that it took - once through they never looked back. Great to have, and saves having to get up and down to let them in and out. :hug: