Solid Stays

GRLC

makes sense . a wait command for when you will be asking them to move and a stay for when they can not and should not move ! (notice how i say should not !!)

Now this maybe a bit off topic but are any of you WA trialers from Bunbury area ???

Edited by GRLC

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use 'stay' but I've been known to say 'wait' if I'm next to Ptolomy and I forget :thumbsup: He copes just fine and I really think the command is for our benefit but I play safe and give a command anyway :cheer:

It would be interesting to know if the experienced trialers use a stay command - bedazzled ptolomony :dancingelephant: help :happydance: .

I like to have a stay command. I have the verbal, my hand signal and me stepping off on my right foot. I totally agree with what Staranais said "I figure my dog's on my team, why not give her all the information I can?". I want to help my dog in the ring as much as I can :dancingelephant: .

Agreed - I do the same.

I don't initially train a stay command and I still expect that sit means sit etc

I also use stay for SFE and wait for recall and COP although I do mix up COP in training as Zig is a smarty pants :happydance:

I've gone back to basics with Ruby and Millie, too, and trying out this "bombproof stay" thing that was posted. So far so good. We're clicking and treating very often, much to their delight!

Oh great! In a couple of weeks do a video of it if you can - I would love to see how you went doing it with your clever - and presumably very food motivated labs :happydance:

I think with this method the more you click and treat initially the better :dancingelephant:

I've gone back to basics with Ruby and Millie, too, and trying out this "bombproof stay" thing that was posted. So far so good. We're clicking and treating very often, much to their delight!

Oh great! In a couple of weeks do a video of it if you can - I would love to see how you went doing it with your clever - and presumably very food motivated labs :happydance2:

I think with this method the more you click and treat initially the better :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: ok I'll try, if I have trained it enough :happydance2: My labs food motivated? NEVER!! ;)

I use 'stay' but I've been known to say 'wait' if I'm next to Ptolomy and I forget :happydance2: He copes just fine and I really think the command is for our benefit but I play safe and give a command anyway :clap:

I'm glad I'm not the only one :happydance2: I've found myself throwing in a few "downs" instead of my usual "drops" too :thumbsup: Bad, bad influence, Ptolomy!! ;) :thumbsup:

I use 'stay' but I've been known to say 'wait' if I'm next to Ptolomy and I forget :laugh: He copes just fine and I really think the command is for our benefit but I play safe and give a command anyway :mad

I do as well. I say wait for a recall and stay for everything else...just habit :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
Do you actually lose points if the dog lifts a leg for example when I return around Banjo he lifts his outside leg but he isn't moving from position.

It'd be a pretty nasty judge to take points off for that. On a sit or drop stay as long as the dog stays in position then it has completed the exercise, excess fidgetting can lose you points but moving a foot to get comfortable is ok. If the dog lifts its bum even to rearrange itself that is a fail, same on a drop stay if the dog lifts either it's front or back end off the ground.

The only stay where you are penalised for moving feet is a stand stay/stand for exam, and you'll lose points for every foot that moves there.

I agree with Seita. I don't know too many judges that would penalize the foot lift...but...stranger things have been known to happen! Usually it because they are looking at you and as you walk behind them it is natural to swivel their head which causes the foot lift. Lots of dogs do it. I train it as an extention of 'steady feet' and break it down by training the return bit and concentrating on the feet and reward heavily in position.

Do you actually lose points if the dog lifts a leg for example when I return around Banjo he lifts his outside leg but he isn't moving from position.

It'd be a pretty nasty judge to take points off for that. On a sit or drop stay as long as the dog stays in position then it has completed the exercise, excess fidgetting can lose you points but moving a foot to get comfortable is ok. If the dog lifts its bum even to rearrange itself that is a fail, same on a drop stay if the dog lifts either it's front or back end off the ground.

The only stay where you are penalised for moving feet is a stand stay/stand for exam, and you'll lose points for every foot that moves there.

Excessive foot movement may incur point loss. For example a nervous lifting of alternate paws one after another continual throughout the stay. In the drop stay of course you get 0 if your dog pulls a dead dog or shifts in a way that light can be seen under the body.

Generally a simply flick of the hip to ge comfortable doesn't mean this but I suppose it depends on how exaggerate the movement your dog makes is.

Experienced handlers may not always use the verbal stay command but their foot work tells the dog what is expected.

Last night i sat and read this thread and watch the videos and tonight at training i put into practice the clicker method shown in one of the videos.

I am delighted with the results :rofl:

last week i could barely manage to take 2 small steps away from my girls but by the end of class tonight i was walking all the way around her at the full length of the lead (6ft) :):(

I thrilled and amazed at the result in such a short time.

next step is to read up more on the steady feet and put that into practice.

err....dead dog is only a minor. It used to be a substantial but a lot of people erroneously thought it a fail. If the dog rolls excessively or shows daylight it can be from points off to a zero score. Shifting feet, sniffing, chewing the grass, having a scratch can all be penalized to varying degrees.

Excessive foot movement may incur point loss. For example a nervous lifting of alternate paws one after another continual throughout the stay. In the drop stay of course you get 0 if your dog pulls a dead dog or shifts in a way that light can be seen under the body.

Generally a simply flick of the hip to ge comfortable doesn't mean this but I suppose it depends on how exaggerate the movement your dog makes is.

Experienced handlers may not always use the verbal stay command but their foot work tells the dog what is expected.

Edited by bedazzledx2

This is kind of the finished product but all my concentration is on his feet. Really tough with Ptolomy chucking all those I Squeaks!!!!! You can see that when I come in to treat him I deliver the food right into his mouth. What you can't see here is the release cue. I train and proof a release cue so that he is not to move without it...it really helps them to understand what is required.

Are there any videos on youtube showing the steady feet method?

Just thought I would report in on my sit stay practice. I decided to work on some out in the garden just before. Interesting I have now gone to using a stay command. I kept them nice and short and didn't always stay insight - the way the house is set up I left her walked away and disappeared behind a corner of the building. No going into a drop and waited for her release cue before moving position. Even when I walked away, returned around behind (not not into a heel position just body length away) and walked away again she still waited :laugh: .