Interceptor Spectrum Tasty Chew

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying to give Shyla her Interceptor Spectrum tasty (now even more tastier!) chew and she doesn't want a bar of it!!! What should I do? Can I break it up and administer the bits like I would a tablet or does it HAVE to be chewed?

Never getting these again!

Someone told me that they changed the formula of these a little while ago and now they are really bitter tasting .....

We give all tablets (including Spectrum) here with a smear of peanut butter - they go down like lollies! :crossfingers:

Trying to give Shyla her Interceptor Spectrum tasty (now even more tastier!) chew and she doesn't want a bar of it!!! What should I do? Can I break it up and administer the bits like I would a tablet or does it HAVE to be chewed?

Never getting these again!

Someone told me that they changed the formula of these a little while ago and now they are really bitter tasting .....

We give all tablets (including Spectrum) here with a smear of peanut butter - they go down like lollies! :crossfingers:

That failed here! Tried peanut butter, yoghurt and other yummies :( She HATES THEM. She even eats anti inflammatory tablets on their own, so these taste worse!!!

My girl despises them as well - but she's sneaky - she will hold it in her mouth for a little bit, attempt to chew them, then plop the melted, saliva covered bits one by one on the floor. It's a struggle, but she ends up eating all the little bits in the end - and then refuses to talk to me for the rest of the night. :crossfingers:

She used to eat them no worries - same with any other tablets. She just really hates these!

I had to give mine one for the first time (got him as a 13 month old). Anyway, the first one was ruined as it was gross and he would not have a bar of it, so before we resorted to a topical worm/heart worm treatment, I tried again the next night. I sliced it into 4 pieces and popped it inside a piece of "chicken roll" and he ate it.

I know what to do for next time now.... I don't know whether he chewed it or swallowed it, but he seemed to be chewing for awhile so I gather he did :happydance2:

Good Luck :thumbsup:

I don't bother with any of the gimicky, and generally a bit dearer, so called chewables, any tablet given to ours is popped down the throat. Takes no time at all.

One of the things I insist on is all the animals being taught to accept dosing with medications, makes it so much easier in time of illness etc.

I don't bother with any of the gimicky, and generally a bit dearer, so called chewables, any tablet given to ours is popped down the throat. Takes no time at all.

One of the things I insist on is all the animals being taught to accept dosing with medications, makes it so much easier in time of illness etc.

I agree, I was taught at puppy school years ago to start practicing early to throw treats down their throat, with the attitude if you don't make it they get the treat. When our last dog was sick it make it much easier to get all those tablets down as she was used to it. Like everything, if you do it regularly the dog thinks nothing of it.

You could try to insert it into a small raw piece of beef, my experience is most dogs just swallow it down if you hold the second piece in front of them.

Edited by Swiss Girl

Kei hates the new chews too. No probs with the old tablets, just used to smear a bit of cream cheese on them and he would eat them as a treat or if not break them up and pop them in his food.

But these new ones... :happydance2: Pretty big to jam down the throat too - with the last one resulting in a big sticky mess as he kept on regurgitating it, took me about 10 mins to get it all down :thumbsup:

I've got 2 left from the pack so the next one I'll try crushing and mixing with his food but if that doesn't work we might have to change to something else...

Its very quick if you just pop her mouth open and chuck it down her throat. Once you get use to this it is really easy. I then give a treat after.

yah best way, give the throat a bit of a rub and good as gold.

Its very quick if you just pop her mouth open and chuck it down her throat. Once you get use to this it is really easy. I then give a treat after.

That's fine for tablets but these chews are huge. This is the only way you can buy Interceptor now. I never had any trouble with the old Interceptor tablets with one dog that just took and swallowed them and the other, that has an aversion to anything tablet shaped, I broke them up and tossed them in food.

With the new chewables the first dog will still eat them but the other one flatly refuses to eat them on their own or broken up with food. His dose is way too big to put down his throat, so I have now resorted to slicing it into thin slices and slipping them into meat cubes. I toss him a few plain meat cubes then toss him the ones with the chews hidden in them. He doesn't bother to chew them and because I am throwing them he doesn't stop to sniff them first, so never works out what is hidden in there.

That's fine for tablets but these chews are huge. This is the only way you can buy Interceptor now. I never had any trouble with the old Interceptor tablets with one dog that just took and swallowed them and the other, that has an aversion to anything tablet shaped, I broke them up and tossed them in food.

I know, I was a little shocked when I opened my packet too. Heidi didnt want to eat it at all, so I had to chuck it down her throat. I would cut it in 2 pieces if you think it's too big.

Yeah, it worked with the tablets but as dancinbcs said, those chews are BIG. And slippery too!

Plus it's doubly hard when the said dog has taken the chew, chomped on it for a second, spat out a mushy mess and run off to his crate. Then me (also in the crate by this time) trying to lever his mouth open with one hand and jam the mushy mess in with the other, then attempt to hold his mouth closed, nose up and stroke his throat all the while smacking my head on the roof of the crate :laugh::thumbsup:

I think we might plan it better next time and try crushing it and hiding it in his food.

We are constantly told the same thing by our clients - the majority of our dog owners are on either Sentinel or Interceptor and have found the change to the chews a real negative one.

Perhaps a few feedback emails to Novartis might make them reconsider? I know they changed the packaging to a larger size to compete with all the other products on shelves, but surely they could have kept the tablets...

Charlie hates the new chew ones too.

I have to break it in half for him and shove it down his thoart. If I known I had to do that, I would of just got the tablet one.

I thought these had to be given with a full meal anyway? On the back of the Sentinel pack it says this (of the pack I've recently bought). I understood this was to ensure the flea treatment aspect of it takes effect (don't quote me here! :thumbsup: ).

Same here -- huge chew for 11 -25kg size and knowing our experience with pup's reluctance and the Drontal chew the month prior, I shoved it straight into a piece of meat with his dinner. Food didn't touch the sides & he was none the wiser! I agree though, they should provide the OPTION of tablets or chews.