Are People Catching On?

Kirty

I had to go to the local vet this evening, and they were running puppy preschool while I was there. Guess what? Not one oodle in sight! In fact, every puppy was a purebred! There was a Berner, Cav, Visla, Chi, Am Staff and a Golden. :laugh:

That's great. Big change from a few years back when I used to take our tibetan spaniels to a vet in an area where there was a big pet store selling small designed dogs. In all the time I went to that vet, the only other purebred I met (among all the little oodles & whatevers) was a small poodle.

The oodle owners would often ask what our tibbies were....because they assumed they must be 'designed' too. And their attitude would change, on hearing they were purebreds....a kind of disdain for something as 'old-fashioned'! These people really had a sense that their oodles were up-to-date fashionable, with cutsy names & all.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A mixture at our puppy preschool but no oodles!

Australian Shepherd (ours)

German Shepherd

Labrador

Lowchen (this made me excited)

Maltese x shih tzu

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel (pet shop)

Pug x beagle

The oodle owners would often ask what our tibbies were....because they assumed they must be 'designed' too. And their attitude would change, on hearing they were purebreds....a kind of disdain for something as 'old-fashioned'! These people really had a sense that their oodles were up-to-date fashionable, with cutsy names & all.

I've had the same thing with my Shih Tzu Mita. People are constantly asking me what she is and I say "Shih Tzu" and then they ask "what is she crossed with?" :laugh: Some people have never seen a purebred Shih Tzu. ;)

At my puppy school we had my lab, another lab (guide dog training), mini foxie, border collie, a very nervous kelpie, golden retriever, and some little mini foxie type cross, no idea what he was.

AT our puppy school we have a Bernese mountian dog puppy too! sooo cute! We also have a Golden Retriever, Australian shepherd, Mini Dachshund, Whippet, Kelpie, CKCS, a cavalier x poodle and a cocker x poodle.

BTW, Is a golden Labrador a golden reteriever x lab or just a yellow lab?

I have a mixture out where I am, being in the country and all.

There is your typical farm mutt of unknown heritage and they always seem to be hanging around peeving everyone off ;)

Then we have the pedigree owners, I know on my road alone we have Mal's, Sibes, rotties, GSD, GR, Maltese, Weim, Sammies (other then my own), JS, German Spitz and a very old Kelpie.

Further up we have Boxer and Stafford Reg breeders which is great :laugh:

Drive into town though and its sodding ooldes as far as the eye can see.

I was thrilled the other day when I saw another Samoyed (offcause I did the crazy lady thing and stop the poor owner), having to know where she got the dog from and Reg Breeder ;)

Edited by Wolfsong

I had to go to the local vet this evening, and they were running puppy preschool while I was there. Guess what? Not one oodle in sight! In fact, every puppy was a purebred! There was a Berner, Cav, Visla, Chi, Am Staff and a Golden. :laugh:

We've found that to be the case also when we have taken pups to preschool.

Probably just that the breeders of these purebreds recommending puppy preschool to their puppy buyers and BYBs and pet shops don't bother.

It seems to come in waves here. But still 50% of my classes will be SWF's.

The difference now is that with the shift in some pet shops advertising them as X's, the owners are carrying that on. Last year I had 2 classes running and 5 out of 7 were Pug x Cav's.

All sorts at our local park.... but a few 'oodles who are with owners who love their dogs, despite some obvious problems.

However, there are quite a few pure bred dogs there which is always good to see :laugh:

Edited by SchnauzerBoy

I think it depends on where you live, and maybe what time it is!!

On the way home from work, I regularly see a liver and white cocker, a black cocker, a mini poodle, a golden, a black and a yellow lab, and a few other purebreds, including what I think is a pure JRT.

A few ks down the road, there are mutts walking - brown ones, cattle dog ones, staffy crosses.

A bit further, looks like oodles to me.

I have often wondered why, and would love to see the demographics of the areas - just coz I'm nosy.

and I am sure there are more DD than purebreds over all.

Nice to see some purebreds though.

I think where abouts can play a big part in the oodle to purebreed vatio.

We are in a bigish semi-rural area and I was thinking a little while ago that I see ALOT of pure dogs around here and most of the others are pigging mixes/farm mixes! My thoughts were that its probably because there are alot of registered breeders around here because of above average sized blocks and acerages. Also around here we dont have huge shopping centres so you we do have the evil pet shop chains, and whilst the area's getting better alot of people around here arnt that well off so arnt likely to walk in to a pet store and spend $1000+ on a puppy!

I'm guessing it probably wasn't the local vet that i work at :D

We're rolling in oodles.

Yep, DD's outnumber everything else here too, and the number of Purbred dogs that come in to be groomed is very sadly

declining. I am so over be told to do a moodle etc clip, just what is a moodle or schmoodle etc clip, they all look different they all have different coat types.

Sadly I can't see that people are catching on at all.

Edited by Crisovar

our puppy class

1x GSP

2x Labs (one yellow, one black)

1x MaltxShitz

1x BBD (aka Mastiff cross)

1x Wire JRT (who's the biggest JRT I've seen with really long legs - so possibly not pure afterall)

our GSP and 1 of the labs (black boy) are the only dogs from registered breeders everyone else's is out of the paper

Hmm our PPS

One evening - the smaller Breeds - 8 DD's of various mixes

Other evening - 1 X PB Bull Terrier rego'd

1 X PB GSP rego'd

1 X Dobe PB rego'd

1 X Lab X Kelpie

1 x Kelpie XXXXX

1 Stafford X Am Staff

1 X Cattle dog cross

1 BC X OES

I think that is all.

Designer fluffies far out weight PB's in ours and also and it is not often you get PB rego'd although they are becoming more predominant as people are realising it doesn't cost a fortune or is a huge hassle to get them flown down.

Hmm our PPS

One evening - the smaller Breeds - 8 DD's of various mixes

Other evening - 1 X PB Bull Terrier rego'd

1 X PB GSP rego'd

1 X Dobe PB rego'd

1 X Lab X Kelpie

1 x Kelpie XXXXX

1 Stafford X Am Staff

1 X Cattle dog cross

1 BC X OES

I think that is all.

Designer fluffies far out weight PB's in ours and also and it is not often you get PB rego'd although they are becoming more predominant as people are realising it doesn't cost a fortune or is a huge hassle to get them flown down.

Does the lab x kelpie seem like a smart dog? Don't agree with the x of course but kelpies are so often x breeds I am really curious about that mix, because they are both such intelligent breeds.

I volunteer at the front desk of a local dog obedience club. There are a good number of pure bred dogs but I am afraid the cross bred dogs still out number them.

This won't change while pet shops are allowed to sell puppies and kittens (which I am totally am against). Plus Dogs Queensland (aka CCCQ) don't advertise loudly enough the benefits of a pure bred dog.

This won't change while pet shops are allowed to sell puppies and kittens (which I am totally am against). Plus Dogs Queensland (aka CCCQ) don't advertise loudly enough the benefits of a pure bred dog.

Yes, the message has to be got out that the public can buy purebred dogs. So many people think they're only for showing & even that 'show' breeders don't sell to pet people.

Also many people I meet with my purebred tibbies think it's some elite system they were bought from. Like they must be wildly expensive or only people with some membership in the show world can buy them.

They honestly believe that the place ordinary pet owners have to go to, for a dog, is a petshop!

Since starting our new clinic 6 months ago, I have been pleasantly surprised with the amount of dogs that have been bought from registered, and seemingly ethical, breeders! I've seen some wonderful puppy info packs too. I have to say though, I think that overall, its the older clients that still have the purebreds and buy from breeders, where as the younger ones are going for the oodles/pet shop/trading post puppies.

But compared to our other clinic that was in a different part of Sydney, definitely many more papered clients. :thumbsup: