Looking For Places To Stop Along The Way

claireybell

Hi Guys,

We're going on our first family holiday Monday week. Me, Him and the two dogs. :(

We're driving from Frankston to Lorne and I'm wondering if any of you know of some good spots to stop along the way? Something with a bit of grass for the doggies to go toilet and run around.

We've done this trip a couple of times but never taken the dog's away with us before so have never paid attention to good places to stop and have a break! :hug:

Any help would be brilliant!!

no help with where your going, but we just stop where ever.

we look for a nice spot with human loos or a servo... and pick up anything left behind.

was very surprised to see at cann river servo a water bowl (doggie one) under the aircon spout so always fresh. doggies thought it marvelous.

we often travel with caravan so take ice cream contianers for water bowls. we take 4 dogies.

they mostly sleep so unless we are stopping for a long time they don't get a run as such. never seems to bother them. hell leo even snores and dreams in the truck! :laugh: ;) ;) last time was snowy mountains to sale.... 7hours with a 15min break at cann river.

If you want to eat when you stop over, stop at Geelong at the waterfront. It is a nice walk along there, and there are some new eating places across from the carasoul (near Moorabool St) where you can sit outside with well behaved dogs and eat

Edited by helen

Not too far off the track just on the west side of the Westgate Bridge, using the Williamstown Rd exit, is Newport Lakes off Mason St. Just past the car park and the children's playground its split into two halves, one is a bird sanctuary(strictly no dogs) and the other is a dog park with grassy areas and bushes and trees to run through and a circular track around a large open space.

There is also a Routleys bakery on Mason St on the left hand side of the road as you drive to the Lakes from Williamstown Rd. Sorry no idea about people toilets though.

Not too far off the track just on the west side of the Westgate Bridge, using the Williamstown Rd exit, is Newport Lakes off Mason St. Just past the car park and the children's playground its split into two halves, one is a bird sanctuary(strictly no dogs) and the other is a dog park with grassy areas and bushes and trees to run through and a circular track around a large open space.

There is also a Routleys bakery on Mason St on the left hand side of the road as you drive to the Lakes from Williamstown Rd. Sorry no idea about people toilets though.

There's people toilet I think at the entrance to the no dog section of the lakes, next to the plant nursery. I'm going up there in a minute to take Annie for a walk, and will have a look to confirm. Also, Sammy's bakery across the road from the Routleys does excellent lebanese style food :) . I'm addicted to their sweet bagels.

If you want to eat when you stop over, stop at Geelong at the waterfront. It is a nice walk along there, and there are some new eating places across from the carasoul (near Moorabool St) where you can sit outside with well behaved dogs and eat

I agree with Helen, the waterfront is a great spot to let the dogs stretch their legs a bit. There are grassed areas where you can have a little picnic, and the beach is right in front. Its all on lead, and being a Monday it wont be too busy. Have fun!

Hi Guys,

We're going on our first family holiday Monday week. Me, Him and the two dogs. :thumbsup:

We're driving from Frankston to Lorne and I'm wondering if any of you know of some good spots to stop along the way? Something with a bit of grass for the doggies to go toilet and run around.

We've done this trip a couple of times but never taken the dog's away with us before so have never paid attention to good places to stop and have a break! :thumbsup:

Any help would be brilliant!!

If you are going via the Great Ocean Road, about 10-20 mins out of Lorne [Melb side] there is a estuary that had a large area of sand for the dogs to run around. When we stopped there, the dogs had an awesome time and quite a few other people turned up to let their dogs have a stretch.

lorne.jpg

There is also the Eastern Gardens in Geelong just up the road from the waterfront not so close to the beach and you can let your dogs off lead there. Urquharts bluff just outside of Airey's Inlet is another very friendly dog beach from there you should be able to make it Lorne comfortably.

As long as your dogs are confined to a trailer to sleep in and they are not barkers, most Motels all along the way will happily accomodate you all.

We did it with ours a few years back and went right though.

I would recommend that if you are doing it you go all the way and make the most of all the tourist spots such as London Bridge, The Apostles, (well those that are left :o) The Blow Hole and The Loch Ard Gorge, which is quite amazing and unreal to climb down and see where the ship wrecked as well as the cemetery where all those retrieved bodies were laid to rest. There is so much history and amazing coast to see if you venture a tad further.

You will also find many lovely spots to stop and stretch their legs, lovely streams with fresh water, there were many others with their dogs who we came across, you just need to be responsible, keep them on lead and make sure you carry a poop bag with you too. :rofl: