Putting Weight On Puppies..

MavericksMission

I'm asking on behalf of a friend.

She has a Kelpie Cross puppy, (very much like Hector)

He is 12 weeks. He isn't a big eater and he is starting to look a bit bit thin for a pup.

He isn't a fan of puppy wet food (like Hector) and he will have a few bites of his kibble (Royal Canin I think) but not very much..

Is there a good food for helping a puppy put on weight?

She is concerned, she has had him at the vet and they said that he is healthy, but could have a bit more weight on him..

Any suggestions?

I am in no way or shape an expert...in fact I am a first time puppy owner but my 14 week old CKCS X is a gutsy eater and I had been worried about feeding her too much. Turned out I did need to feed her a bit more and get a bit more weight on her! My pet sitter and vet said that puppies can be a little on the chubby side as they are still growing. They said when they hit 6 - 8 months is when you need to be mindful of their weight.

Anyway I just upped the amount of dry food I was feeding her at each meal and also introduced MORE minced chicken carces at dinner. I wonder if puppy milk would help or if it would just give Hector a runny tummy! I know it didnt agree with my pup! :laugh:

I would always personally prefer to raise a puppy on the leaner side rather than the chubby side - much better on growing and developing bones/joints etc.

Just make sure whatever you use is balanced, ie calcium:phosphorus

I would always personally prefer to raise a puppy on the leaner side rather than the chubby side - much better on growing and developing bones/joints etc.

Just make sure whatever you use is balanced, ie calcium:phosphorus

I agree with this. My dogs breeder told me when we picked her up to not over feed. And according to Ian Billinhurst author of Give Your Dog a Bone & others, always leave puppies wanting more & grow them slowly.

Wonderful!

Thanks guys! I will pass it on!

And I will use the information for myself as well for little Hector.

According to the weight guide at the vet (the picture one) Hector is "Fit"

He does do alot of running aorund and playing so I guess he would be burning fat as well doing that :D

Thanks guys, knew I could count of you guys for advice! :)

Make sure you feed high fat foods, such as chicken mince or a high fat Barf, and good quality puppy biscuits of course. You dont want a fat puppy, but not too thin either. Remember too that they go through growth spurts and lose weight while this is happening cos they are using what that have to put into height. They need enough condition on them to help with the growth spurt or they will end up weedy.

My pup was refusing food for a while and dropped a bit of weight.

I mixed some pet mince (chicken) in with his canned and/or soaked dry and he gobbled it up.

The chicken mince I buy is just minced chicken frames and meat. I mixed it up half and half with whatever commercial food he was being given. (royal canin dry, nutro wet)

He gets bored easily so I need to change up the flavors too, another one I use is sardines, just a single sardine mashed up through his food will get him eating like a champ.

• 3 weeks later...

Eagle Pack Large and Giant Breed Puppy Dry is great for growing puppies,

chicken mince, beef mince, sardines, tuna, these are all things you can add to the dry if necessary.

Be aware that if the puppy starts eating these things she may have diarrhoea from the variety of food.

It will settle down once you start feeding her one type of food ie dry food daily.

Also you need to stick with the one dry food for a while as you risk the puppy becoming too fussy and not

wanting to eat anything and that's when you have real problems. If the puppy is starving it will eat eventually.

XXToughgirlXXX

Just checking - has the pup been wormed?

I totally agree if the pup is active and otherwise healthy then I wouldn't worry too much. Leaner is better than overweight and as the grow they will tend to see saw. Keep an eye but don't stress too much. If worry continues see the vet again (or another vet if not confident with present one).

Another thing I've seen work is making the pup/dog work for his food rather than just presenting it. Options for this include:

1. Feeding from a Kong or other puzzle toy - see www.dogstardaily.com under the Training Textbook for errorless chewtoy training on how to introduce and use this.

2. Ony feeding the pup during short training sessions - a few minutes a few times after you get home or before each meal and then if you want to letting them have the rest in a Kong or similar.

You can also present the meal for a limited period of time (put down for say 5 to 10 minutes) and then pick up the bowl and it goes away until the next meal (with fresh food if using other than kibble).

These might help - or not.

Thanks Addicted to Dogs!

He does quite like his kong.

He has been wormed.

** Might I add, since I first posted this thread, He has put on weight, eating well and looking healthy!

I really apreciate all the help and advice, I have received from everyone on here!

Thanks Guys!! :laugh::rofl: