Litters Due In May 2010

gapvic

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Anne :-).

Well, I was a bit premature in my earlier post. Two further pups have come this afternoon - a fawn girl, and a blue fawn girl. The last one was a real effort and I was sure the pup would be dead, but she's hanging in there.

I'm just exahusted. I hope to god it's over now and there are no more to come out.

Thanks Bilbo! I'm a bit of a retard - I was feeling the abdomen and couldn't feel anything. We had oxytocin - is that the same as syntocinon? We were using the oxy in the end with the guidance of our vet.

Yep, that's right Anne - 8 all up. Three black boys, two black girls, one blue girl, one blue fawn girl and one fawn girl :-)

Thanks Bilbo! I'm a bit of a retard - I was feeling the abdomen and couldn't feel anything. We had oxytocin - is that the same as syntocinon? We were using the oxy in the end with the guidance of our vet.

Yep, that's right Anne - 8 all up. Three black boys, two black girls, one blue girl, one blue fawn girl and one fawn girl :-)

:(:rofl: Yes oxytocin is the same.

ETA. when you are feeling you have to feel right up in the chest, then work backwards.

It is tricky because sometimes its difficult to distinguish from a bulky empty uterus and one with a pup still in it.

Edited by Bilbo Baggins

so what do you do when mum of pups rips herself open?

It's been a fun afternoon here. Kayo tried to jump out of the laundry window, managed to snag her leg on the window latch and was hanging by her skin in mid air. She started screaming (as you would) and Sunni decided it was a good time to try and pull her down. Luckily my husband was there pretty quick and unhooked her and we went straight to the vet.

Can I just say how much I love the vet? Even though we were there until 8.30pm, he only charged us day rates. Hate to think what the cost would have been at an emergency vet.

The wound was clean. Kayo just missed her femural artery (thank doG!) and managed to split her skin quite badly under her stifle to just above her mammary glands. It ended up being in a very tricky position and all the usual things he would do he couldn't. He was going to strap her leg to her body and make her a tripod but it would make feeding the babies impossible. He couldn't put on an Elizabethan collar due to Kayo's need to clean the puppies and also worried she would scoop the pups unintentionally. A drain has been put in also and it has had to be stitched to the inside of her leg so the puppies don't grab at it.

Kayo certainly doesn't do things by halves!! I do have photos but I'm tired so will get to that tomorrow. Tonight will be another night by her side making sure she's okay. :eek: Poor girl.

God that sounds drastic Ashanali. Sounds a little like Rebanne described Piper's injuries. Piper is her lovely greyhound boy who degloved himself - he caught himself on the handle of the clothesline and literally peeled off his skin on his body :eek: . I've seen the good photos and they were horrific.

She may have some good tips on healing as I know it took many months for him to recover and he has a lot of scarring.

Poor Kayo - it must have been very frightening for everyone involved.

Edited by Trisven13

Well kijana went into labour today and we now have 11 new babies, 7 boys 4 girls born via c section. Well I wanted boys now I have 13 to choose from!

Congratulations.

Do yourself a favour and get the vet to show you how to tube feed so you can get some rest in between feeds.