Litters Due In May 2010

gapvic

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats Kaffy - looks like boys seem to be the trend at the moment

Not here! :welcome:

I had a little heart stopping moment this morning. I had put a wheat bag down with the pups while I put Kayp outside for a run. A little while later I asked my son to let Kayo back in with the pups and to take the wheat bag out.

He let Kayo in, forgot to take the bag out. I walked in there a bit later and find Kayo curled around the wheatbag and a puppy jammed between her and the wheatbag, very still and on his back. I thought he was dead. He looked dead. I pulled him out and he started squeaking at me in disgust. :laugh:

Thank goodness for a happy ending! Wheat bag then removed from the box.

Now some bad news, my solid liver girl is still strong but she has lost weight since birth when the others have gained about 100grams. I'm going to start supplementing her. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with her, just that she's a runt and seems to get pushed out of the way when the others feed (particularly now they have a weight advantage). Hopefully the supplementing will see an improvement with her.

I just sat with them for 10 minutes and made sure she had a decent feed from mum. She now has a bellyfull of milk but I can see why she wasn't gaining weight. She attaches and the other pups knock her off so easy with their weight advantage. They just climb on top of her, push her off and take over. I think I'll have to supervise her feeds every couple of hours to make sure she gets in there.

Thanks everyone. I will take some pics later today. But here is a quick run down of last nights events.

There was no signs of impending labour yesterday(no temp drop, now going off food, no restlessness or heavy panting), so I went to work. About 11.20 pm my line manager tells me my OH is on the phone. I knew what it would be, so I raced to the phone, OH is frantic, as he has been trying to get hold of me since 9pm(i work in a factory which is really loud and the after hours phone is on the factory floor, so really hard to hear if it rings, plus we wear ear muffs). First puppy had been born. OH had no idea what to do and I hadnt given him a run down incase she went into labour because I was expecting to be home when it all happened. I just flew home, I didnt even change out of my factory whites and boots, which is a no no but I didnt care. Im sure everyone I raced past on their smoko was left wondering wtf? lol.

All was good though, first 5 were boys , 6th was a girl and not well at all. I thought she was dead, but after working on her saw some signs of life, kept going, she was very floppy and short gasps of breath, couldnt suck, but I kept on her for quite some time and she came good. She seemed to be struggling to push the 7th out so I arranged to meet the vet at the clinic. Of course she had it in the back of the wagon as we pulled up.A little girl. She also vomited everywhere, imagine lots and lots of eggy milk(she had been drinking), placentas and membranes all through your car, so nice,lol.

Puppy wasnt too healthy so into the vets and onto some oxygen, with lots of rubbing and she came good. Kalais had a shot of oxytocin and a shot of calcium and delivered the 8th puppy another boy and then eventually after a little while had another girl. Got home about 7 am. And I am exhausted. I feel sick and was thinking I might have a tummy bug that has been going around work, but it could just be lack of sleep.

Then I get to do it all again next weekend. Lucky me,lol!

I have started supplementing with a bottle. Puppies were unsettled and trying to feed all day today, only small amounts of milk seem to be coming out. She doesnt look to have too much, even the vet said that last night. I put them on the bottle and they all guts into it and are now sleeping soundly instead of squeaking and squealing like they have been.

Kalais is panting heavily, has been most of the day, is this normal? I did ring the vet he wasnt too concerned as she is still drinking and eating and everything else looks ok. I took her temp just before and it is 39.2. I am worried the panting heavily is not normal. Any ideas?

I have started supplementing with a bottle. Puppies were unsettled and trying to feed all day today, only small amounts of milk seem to be coming out. She doesnt look to have too much, even the vet said that last night. I put them on the bottle and they all guts into it and are now sleeping soundly instead of squeaking and squealing like they have been.

Kalais is panting heavily, has been most of the day, is this normal? I did ring the vet he wasnt too concerned as she is still drinking and eating and everything else looks ok. I took her temp just before and it is 39.2. I am worried the panting heavily is not normal. Any ideas?

My vet always puts the mums on antibiotics post delivery for 7 days.

No she is not near my other girl, although she will be shifting in the room very shortly (opposite ends of the room and wont have access to each other). She has been in the whelping box all day with her babies, until I had to go into town quickly just before for some supplies and dinner. I placed her in a crate beside the whelp box, so she can see her babies and I was hoping with her not being under/near the heat lamp she would stop the panting but it hasnt happened. I know 39.2 is on the higher end so I'll take her temp again this evening.

Edited by Kaffy Magee

Sorry Kaff I got confused - thought it was your other girl (due soon) worrying you!

For now as long as the temp doesn't go any higher I'd be happy to keep an eye on her, could be the milk coming in, a bit sore, uterus still contracting etc.

Fingers crossed I think we're all done here. Maddie started huffing and puffing about 11pm last night, and delivered the first pup around 4am from memory (don't have the sheet in front of me). Last pup (we think!) came at 9.45am. We've got three girls and three boys, all black except for one blue girl.

Maddie, OH and I are all exhausted. Our first whelping, and Maddie a maiden bitch. The screaming!! And not just from the dog LOL!! No, just kidding, no screaming from us but several anxious phone calls to my vet at 3am.

A question for the experienced breeders - how do you know when they are finished? We had an ultrasound done and vet thought there were six to eight pups. Haven't seen any contractions since last pup was born, so am assuming that's it? Keeping a close eye on them all in any case.