Vitamin C For Snake Bite

Hi all

Has anyone ever heard of treating snakebites with just vitamin c (i think there was something else in it as well) injections. My mum is a wildlife carer and one of the other carers wallabies got bitten by a snake and they only treated him with theese injections. The wildlife carer knew of this and told the vet what to give him (the wallaby)

After 2 weeks the wallaby was fine. Since then the vet has tried it on 3 cats and 2 dogs and all of them have survived. I was wondering if anyone had heard about this at all??

Rebecca

It's a commonly referred to alternative/complementary treatment for snake bite.

Personally if one of my dogs was bitten by a snake I would not be shooting it with Vitamin C. I'd be in the car and if I were by myself probably breaking the law by driving and phoning the vet at the same time to say we were on our way. The vet is 14 ks away on country roads, and I would not waste precious time with vitamin C when it's delaying the time available to get some antivenom into my dog ASAP.

If you search the forum for the words in your subject heading you'll see some wide ranging threads on this have been had before.

Having experienced a dog with a snake bite last Xmas - the vets said Vitamin C would be of no benefit - however, they did agree to give the dog some on our request anyway. They did say it wouldn't hurt.

The dog make it :rainbowbridge:

IT is something you can give if you have a long trip to the vet - although I wouldn't stop to give it if it extended the time it would take to get to my vet.,

I think of it more as a supporting thing, support for organs and boby systems.

The only thing that will neutralise snake venom is antivenom.

Snakes can give a dry bite and not envenomate, therefore it would appear to work and cure the snake bite.

I know of many cats who have recieved supportive therapy only and have survived, even when they have been paralyed and unable to move - but were maintaing their own airway. My SIL has had two cats bitten 3 times and two times each. They only ever recieved supportive therapy. The 3rd time one was bitten he didn't make it.

I would use it if veterinary help was a long way away, or impossible to get to, after all you have nothing to lose.

In any and all other circumstances I would go straight to the vet as fast as I safely could and not waste time with stopping to go to the fridge and inject a dog - by the way to give it intramuscular hurts like hell.

With snake bite every minute counts. I would not risk it not working, I would always go antivenom first and formost with Vit C as a supportive thing.

Edited by Rommi n Lewis

I think its more for those who are just too far away from a vet, 14kms isnt tht far, Im talking about people way out bush who might have to travel a 100kms or more to get to a vet, as dog lovers Im sure we could all understand delaying the trip by minutes to try this treatment, the prognosis wouldnt be any better if you arrived at the vet in an hour and five minutes or just an hour

IT is something you can give if you have a long trip to the vet - although I wouldn't stop to give it if it extended the time it would take to get to my vet.,

I think of it more as a supporting thing, support for organs and boby systems.

The only thing that will neutralise snake venom is antivenom.

Snakes can give a dry bite and not envenomate, therefore it would appear to work and cure the snake bite.

I know of many cats who have recieved supportive therapy only and have survived, even when they have been paralyed and unable to move - but were maintaing their own airway. My SIL has had two cats bitten 3 times and two times each. They only ever recieved supportive therapy. The 3rd time one was bitten he didn't make it.

I would use it if veterinary help was a long way away, or impossible to get to, after all you have nothing to lose.

In any and all other circumstances I would go straight to the vet as fast as I safely could and not waste time with stopping to go to the fridge and inject a dog - by the way to give it intramuscular hurts like hell.

With snake bite every minute counts. I would not risk it not working, I would always go antivenom first and formost with Vit C as a supportive thing.

Great advice :coffee:

I would give it - on the way to the vet. It can't hurt, and it may do some good. However, I wouldn't rely only on the Vit C to do the job. I agree with whoever mentioned dry bites- the vit C may have "cured" them.

I would never rely on it instead of vet treatment. Some vets use it in conjunction with "regular" treatment.

If you give it, watch it, as it stings a lot, and the dog may bite you :coffee:

Having said that, I keep a bottle in the fridge. I gave some to a cat which had tick paralysis, and 4 hours later, she was vastly improved. Ended up not taking her to the vet at all.

I also have some in the fridge, luckily i haven't had any close encounters and I can get to the vet quite quickly so not needed to use it.

I have no problem with using it in a supportive role. I am considering getting it in powdered form to have on hand to give, if required, in a healing role.

I was told that it assists in the recuperation after a snake bite and also after tick poisoning.

Our kids all have a daily vitamin C tab in their food, a vet told me years ago that it can't harm them and helps keep their levels at a good rate whic in turn will assist them in fighting off many nasty antibodies.

And all I can add to that is it must help, cos it is Pensioners Paradise here I can tell you, we have more oldies than young ones! :laugh: