What Age To Wean Pups?

britt3

Hi All

I have a litter a 9 cavie pups & are 3 wks old today, what age should I start weaning them?? is it too early to start now?? was just wanting to take the strain of mum..... when I do what do i start with I am feeding mum eukanuba puppy, do I just soak the biscuit & mush it up for the pups like puree?? any advice would be helpful

thanks

Hi All

I have a litter a 9 cavie pups & are 3 wks old today, what age should I start weaning them?? is it too early to start now?? was just wanting to take the strain of mum..... when I do what do i start with I am feeding mum eukanuba puppy, do I just soak the biscuit & mush it up for the pups like puree?? any advice would be helpful

thanks

I let mum make the decisions re weaning. I start solids at 4 weeks.

I let the pups decide. Every litter varies.

I have a litter 10 days old and they have been lapping at diluted puppy milk for a couple of days and

are showing interest in their Mums food too.

I do like them to be well and truly on solids by 4 weeks and completely weened by 6.

At 3 weeks it is fine to start to wean them. 9 pups is a lot for a little cavie mum and even if they only have 1 or 2 feeds a day it will help her.

I have had a pups fully weaned by 3 weeks as mum ran out of milk.

Leanne

I start about 3 to 4 weeks on hamburger mince and then I slowly add a little soaked dry food.

I do not feed pups slops. Between 5 and 6 weeks I start to add chicken mince (whole chicken frame minced) I also stop soaking the dry. By six weeks the pups are fully weaned.

I don't force the issue as there are no advantages to weaning them early. I start to offer food from around 4 weeks, if the want it they will eat it and the bitch keeps topping them up. We have had puppies still taking a suck from Mum just before they are walking out the door at 9-10 weeks. It doesn't mean that they aren't eating and drinking on their own.

Don't be in a rush, the bitch will switch the milk bar off when she's ready and there will naturally come a point where the pups want more than they are getting from her.

I let the puppies decide.

If they're paying a lot of attention to mum's food, or to licking her mouth after she has been fed, or if she starts regurgitating food for them, I give them a try with some very finely minced meat on the end of my fingertip. If they're ravenous for that and looking for more, they're ready and I will start weaning.

I start with pink slushies and gradually make the meals more solid and chewy as they become accustomed to the different texture and consistency.

I start offering the puppies little balls of raw mince (human grade) at 3 weeks and they love it. I then add Advance Rehydratable soaked in water. At 6 weeks I start giving them chicken wings. However I leave them with the bitch and allow her to wean them, sometimes they're still having a quick suckle at 8 weeks depending on the bitch.

I also don't force the issue of weaning - mum stops them when it's time. I offer scrapped meat or top grade mince at 3 1/2 weeks and they usually start looking forward to it by 4 weeks. From then I start adding different food and textures e.g. soaked puppy food. I don't like giving it dry as I've seen pups get quite constipated. By the time pups are 6 weeks they are eating pretty much what mum eats - chewing bones, chicken wings/frames. I have a bitch that often gives her pups a last feed before they leave home - after they haven't suckled for a week or more. Her pups have all grown to well adjusted adults, so I trust her as to weaning time.

As has been said - just make sure pups are getting something before mum starts regurgitating for them.

I usually start to offer a little human grade mince at 3wks, at first once a day, then twice. I agree that 9 is a big load for a small dog and I would be concerned about eclampsia, so would definately start to wean sooner rather than later.

I also don't force the issue of weaning - mum stops them when it's time. I offer scrapped meat or top grade mince at 3 1/2 weeks and they usually start looking forward to it by 4 weeks. From then I start adding different food and textures e.g. soaked puppy food. I don't like giving it dry as I've seen pups get quite constipated. By the time pups are 6 weeks they are eating pretty much what mum eats - chewing bones, chicken wings/frames. I have a bitch that often gives her pups a last feed before they leave home - after they haven't suckled for a week or more. Her pups have all grown to well adjusted adults, so I trust her as to weaning time.

As has been said - just make sure pups are getting something before mum starts regurgitating for them.

Why ?