Fetch

Dame Aussie

My dogs are both retch failures my Lappie "talks" about it but doesn't bring the ball back rather she will grab it and trott off in the other direction.

Now my little Siamese is totally focused and will play fetch for hours :laugh:

With our dogs the fetch has to be a job..........Our newfs will not endless fetch, but if you throw a bumper they will fetch and return or take it to someone else when directed. they will also take stuff out to someone (life jacket) and retrieve large objects (canoe with rope attached) . But if you throw a ball or stick, you get the look of I will get it once, but only once. And if you throw it twice, they just more or less give you tho get it yourself look. I would love to know what that is called too. i never seem to know if it is prey or play. To me it seems work mode :laugh:

Newfsie, Daisy is not a natural retriever either. I had to completely shape the formal retrieve when I got my dumbell because she was totally disinterested in it. Now she retrieves it very enthusiastically as she knows retrieving = getting food :laugh:

My two older dogs are ball chasers. Maisie especially is quite obsessed. As soon as you go outside, she runs off to find something to throw. Champa likes to play, but won't initiate the game. The other two chase the older two but have no idea what is going on! LOL!

With our dogs the fetch has to be a job..........Our newfs will not endless fetch, but if you throw a bumper they will fetch and return or take it to someone else when directed. they will also take stuff out to someone (life jacket) and retrieve large objects (canoe with rope attached) . But if you throw a ball or stick, you get the look of I will get it once, but only once. And if you throw it twice, they just more or less give you tho get it yourself look. I would love to know what that is called too. i never seem to know if it is prey or play. To me it seems work mode :laugh:

Kenny is exactly the same, he will fetch it once to humour me, but if I throw it again, he just looks where it landed & then look at me & strolls off in the opposite direction. He does love playing tug though, well not so much anymore, his hobby is snoozing these days. :laugh:

lets see we have 2 jrts.... one has no teeth from fetching his ball..... and carrying it endlessly. he now has a basket ball which he has now worn off all the fur off his legs. if you say where is the mouse? he will tear the house apart!

the other jrt will hunt the cat endlessly.... he won't fetch....he only plays tug with the 'matian.

the 'matian only plays tug but might hunt the cat when said cat is asleep in case it attacks back.....

oh well shows how different our lot are!

Harry (pug x GSD) is fetch obsessed. And I mean obsessed. Anyone who has met him will understand. He doesn't stop. If he can't find a ball, frisbee or toy, he will find the tiniest scrap of rubber or skin of a tennis ball and ask me to throw it. It's crazy.

I feel your pain! My malinois is exactly the same! And anything I pick up off the ground of course must be because I'm planning on throwing it for him, and he flicks into prey and starts dancing around like an idiot >_<

And I don't even need anything in my hand to trigger him off, I can close my hand over nothing, with him watching, then all I have to do is go "what's this?" and make like I'm going to throw something, and he's off.....

Is chasing other dogs the only time he likes to chase things? Or would he be likely to chase and grab/kill a small animal?

He would definitely chase and grab a small animal, not sure if he'd know what to do with it at the end, but I'm not testing that theory :laugh: It's pretty much impossible to break his stare if he sees a cat, he is similarly interested in ducks, kangaroos, etc. He is fine with small fluffy dogs thankfully :laugh:

I haven't had him from a puppy so it's possible he had experiences as a puppy that I don't know about.

I agree, sounds like she has you well trained GayleK
Which is fine if it's fine with the owner of course.

I don't mind it at all, I get some exercise that way, and she comes with me to get the frisbee so I can practise some off-leash heeling with her on the way there.

Dusty could easily becomne a "hysterical idiot" over a frisbee, but we're very careful to keep it in our control, not hers. It lives in the car, so she can't access it when she wants it, and it only comes out when we want it to.

Harry (pug x GSD) is fetch obsessed. And I mean obsessed. Anyone who has met him will understand. He doesn't stop. If he can't find a ball, frisbee or toy, he will find the tiniest scrap of rubber or skin of a tennis ball and ask me to throw it. It's crazy.

This is what Lili is like :)

My dogs are both retch failures my Lappie "talks" about it but doesn't bring the ball back rather she will grab it and trott off in the other direction.

Now my little Siamese is totally focused and will play fetch for hours :)

One of my cats will play fetch for quite a while too, well about 5 minutes. He loves the practice golf balls that have lots of little holes that enable him to pick the ball up. He drops it at your feet. Maybe he learn'toff the dogs.

I have 2 border collies who of course are retrieve mad. I've had one from a pup and she did this from an early age without much prompting on my part.

A neighbour has a 9 week old cattle dog who is already retrieving balls. I'm sure it is instinctive.

Herding is modified prey drive rather than something separate.

It is.... but it's so much more!

I mentioned a vague explanation for why dogs sometimes love to chase other dogs but not play fetch in the same topic in the training section. I've been reading a lot of papers on canine play lately and I have some ideas about this (which are not by any means original).

He's got so much potential! :kissbetter:

I know.

Must harness the madness. Soon. I promise :)