Finding It Hard To Find The "one" :cry:

italmum

I am surprised. I know heaps of people who have young kids and Cavvies! I personally think you would be hard pressed to find another dog breed that is so perfect for kids!

So very true, they are made for each other. Although on occassion I've heard of puppies being described as "soft" and more suitable for say, an Elderly person or couple.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well. rejected once again.

I am really dissapointed, I spoke to someone who had a dog, now after speaking to her "friend with a 2 1/2 year old and a 6 month old" she thinks my kids arent ready.

and thats the whole issue i have had - everyone bundling me into the same basket as everyone else.. I had a lil sob...Do people not know the heartache that they are putting me through atm.

Maybe just not meant to be.

thanks everyone..this seems to be pointless.

Hmmm, I am thinking why tell them you have kids if it's held against you???.

Because its honest and its the right thing to do?! I would think being honest would be rather crucial in developing a relationship with a breeder that you are hoping will trust you enough to place on of their babies in your home.

Good luck with Christian Italmum :eek:

Not necessarily. Because a breeder has formed a dislike of placing puppies with children families from a bad experience once, the breeder has no rights to tar every children family with the same brush and reject them on that basis. The parents of the children family have more insight into their childs behaviour with animals than a breeder will ever know. Some breeders get too carried away with own opnions which are not always right in the scheme of things. More to the point, this behaviour only drives people to pet shops and BYB's when being open and honest results in rejection and too much hassle.

Edited by Longcoat

Less than 24 hrs to go italmum till you meet Christian [the dog that is :eek::eek::cry::cheer:

hehehe i know..i am looking forward to it...i have to go to the inlaws for easter lunch...atleast i will have had a great start to the day ;) :p followed by my inaugural easter egg hunt at the grandfolks in the evening!!! woot i love easter!!

BUONA PASQUA E TUTTI!!!! i shall let you all know how i go tomorrow :eek:

Well I can see how a family with small kids could end up going through a BYB or a Petshop to get a puppy!

You are a very patient woman Italmum (your kids must have taught you that!). Good on you. :eek:

That's exactly my thought too. Personally, I can't see any reason whatsoever from reading Italmum's posts why she should be rejected as a suitable dog owner, infact I think she would be excellent :eek:

I am really dissapointed, I spoke to someone who had a dog, now after speaking to her "friend with a 2 1/2 year old and a 6 month old" she thinks my kids arent ready.

and thats the whole issue i have had - everyone bundling me into the same basket as everyone else.. I had a lil sob...Do people not know the heartache that they are putting me through atm.

Because its honest and its the right thing to do?! I would think being honest would be rather crucial in developing a relationship with a breeder that you are hoping will trust you enough to place on of their babies in your home.

Not necessarily. Because a breeder has formed a dislike of placing puppies with children families from a bad experience once, the breeder has no rights to tar every children family with the same brush and reject them on that basis. The parents of the children family have more insight into their childs behaviour with animals than a breeder will ever know. Some breeders get too carried away with own opnions which are not always right in the scheme of things. More to the point, this behaviour only drives people to pet shops and BYB's when being open and honest results in rejection and too much hassle.

I understand what you are saying and agree to a point.

I just think that everyone is entitled to an opinion, particularly when it comes to something as important as determining an appropriate home for a puppy they have bred. As a breeder they have the right to discriminate if they so choose, they know their dogs and progeny better than a prospective buyer.

Just as a parent knows their children better than a stranger.

I believe its more important to find a breeder and develop an honest relationship. Then if that breeder decides your home is an environment they would be comfortable placing one of their babies it is for the right reasons. In the interest of ongoing support and having the right pup for your family I would much rather tell the truth from the start.

I understand what you are saying and agree to a point.

I just think that everyone is entitled to an opinion, particularly when it comes to something as important as determining an appropriate home for a puppy they have bred. As a breeder they have the right to discriminate if they so choose, they know their dogs and progeny better than a prospective buyer.

Just as a parent knows their children better than a stranger.

I believe its more important to find a breeder and develop an honest relationship. Then if that breeder decides your home is an environment they would be comfortable placing one of their babies it is for the right reasons. In the interest of ongoing support and having the right pup for your family I would much rather tell the truth from the start.

Of course you would begin your search truthfully........I too would do exactly that also, but when it becomes a pattern of rejection on the basis of having kids, I would change my tactic. We are talking a Cav, not a high drive large working dog for instance that could be over boisterious with small kids which I would more understand a breeders concern with placement, but what the OP has encountered I think is over the top. How many times has the OP been rejected by the successful applicant who told the breeder what they wanted to hear..........that would be annoying and could have easily happened :eek: Discrimination against childern doesn't comply with common law either being rejected on that basis.

I am surprised. I know heaps of people who have young kids and Cavvies! I personally think you would be hard pressed to find another dog breed that is so perfect for kids!

Cavvies are wonderful with children. However, they are not a big breed, and unfortunately, children are not always wonderful with them.

A lot of breeders wont sell to people with children under school age. I do, but I assess the children very carefully to ensure they aren't going to be too rough, or to harm the pup.

And I don't believe the OP has had to wait very long at all. :eek:

post-438-1270271052_thumb.jpg

I don't think that the average breeder would want people deliberately dropping heavy books around their dogs. Imagine if everyone did these kind of tests on going and looking at potential pets, the poor dog would get traumatised...and definitely afraid of reading material!!

This is a dog that the breeder claims is 'outgoing'. If it couldn't handle a book being dropped near it without being traumatised, it would prove to me that the dog had a problem and that the breeder was failing to disclose important information.

You wouldn't purposely try to frighten a timid or nervy dog. But a timid, nervy dog is a faulty dog. And the object of the test is to quickly find out if the dog has any faults that might mean it isn't suited to living with very young children.

I know dogs well enough to know a good strong-nerved dog won't be traumatised by a book falling near it at 8 months of age. But there are plenty of dogs around that are not so good. Better to find out before the family is attached whether the dog will suit.

In my opinion it wouldn't be fair on a timid nervy dog to place it in a home with toddlers. But an outgoing one could be very happy.

If you are a breeder and you think this test would traumatise all of your 8 month old dogs, you need to seriously have a look at the dogs you are breeding with.

I don't think that the average breeder would want people deliberately dropping heavy books around their dogs. Imagine if everyone did these kind of tests on going and looking at potential pets, the poor dog would get traumatised...and definitely afraid of reading material!!

This is a dog that the breeder claims is 'outgoing'. If it couldn't handle a book being dropped near it without being traumatised, it would prove to me that the dog had a problem and that the breeder was failing to disclose important information.

You wouldn't purposely try to frighten a timid or nervy dog. But a timid, nervy dog is a faulty dog. And the object of the test is to quickly find out if the dog has any faults that might mean it isn't suited to living with very young children.

I know dogs well enough to know a good strong-nerved dog won't be traumatised by a book falling near it at 8 months of age. But there are plenty of dogs around that are not so good. Better to find out before the family is attached whether the dog will suit.

In my opinion it wouldn't be fair on a timid nervy dog to place it in a home with toddlers. But an outgoing one could be very happy.

If you are a breeder and you think this test would traumatise all of your 8 month old dogs, you need to seriously have a look at the dogs you are breeding with.

No, I'm not a breeder, but probably a "soft touch" when it comes to contemplating startling dogs on purpose :eek:

If a Breeder did not show concern and make further enquiries before placing a toy breed pup with a family of young children, I would be worried.

Puppies and children are a delightful combination, and most of the time it goes smoothly, but it also has the potential to go very badly.

Some very lovely, well mannered, nicely behaved children still can have no idea how to interact with animals, so lots of care has to be taken.

I have seen some terrible injuries inflicted on baby animals by otherwise nice children, take it slowly and do your homework.

I don't think you have had a long wait either :eek:

I hope it all works out with Christian.

I did pm italmum a couple of days ago offering to put her in contact with the breeder of my Cav boy. She is a very experienced, sensible breeder and would assess the situation on its merits rather than rejecting someone simply because they have children. I received no reply to my pm so I gather italmum is not interested.

Cavaliers are sweet natured little dogs and I have yet to meet a snappy or mouthy one. I doubt the temperament of a Cav would be the issue, rather that it must be impressed upon the the children that the tiny, delicate bones of a toy dog are easily fractured, particularly with a young puppy.

I hope it all works out with Christian.

I did pm italmum a couple of days ago offering to put her in contact with the breeder of my Cav boy. She is a very experienced, sensible breeder and would assess the situation on its merits rather than rejecting someone simply because they have children. I received no reply to my pm so I gather italmum is not interested.

Cavaliers are sweet natured little dogs and I have yet to meet a snappy or mouthy one. I doubt the temperament of a Cav would be the issue, rather that it must be impressed upon the the children that the tiny, delicate bones of a toy dog are easily fractured, particularly with a young puppy.

They are supposed to be but I have met a few exceptions over the years :bolt: I once looked after one who was so terrified if anyone came to the house she would attack! There have been a few others too. It's awful seeing a Cavalier like that when they are supposed to be happy, friendly little dogs.

I will openly admit (and I have said it before on here) that our sweet Renae can get very 'territorial', and we don't trust her entirely around kids (We don't have any kids ourselves). We always pre warn people and stay one step of her if around people. But mostly she has a beautiful nature around us and all our other pets, or people she's known for a while. She is quite deaf now, so we have to becareful not to startle her, or wake her up suddenly, not that she would ever bite us, just that she gets very confused about what is going on.

Joey on the other hand loves everyone, even kids! :bolt:

A friend of mine has an older Cavalier thats been totally spoilt for years, then they had a baby and he's been a bit jealous ever since.

The kid is now about 1 or 2 i think, and does play a bit too rough with the Cav at times, and usually the Cav doesn't react, but recently he bit the kid on the face, leaving a little scar. I was thinking perhaps this Cav is going deaf as well, and got annoyed when the kids started playing with him unexpectly.. I'm not sure ..

Most Cavaliers I have met are very gently and kid friendly, but like us, they are all individual in their personalities/traits.

Thats why I think its probably better to buy one from a breeder who has has kids themselves (if you are wanting one to be kid friendly), and have had some socialization at a young age with kids :eek:

Edited by JulesLuvsCavs

Its a very difficult situation, introducing new baby with a pet - you can see how they would feel left out and put to the side :eek: ..i hope everything gets better for your friends family x

And Cavnrott, i have just messaged you...i thought i had replied SORRY :bolt:

Its a very difficult situation, introducing new baby with a pet - you can see how they would feel left out and put to the side :eek: ..i hope everything gets better for your friends family x

Thanks italmum :doh:

Not sure what will happen, if he does it again? hopefully they will be supervising the kid and the Cav a bit more closely from now on..

When is it you are meeting Christian ? :cry:

Its a very difficult situation, introducing new baby with a pet - you can see how they would feel left out and put to the side :cry: ..i hope everything gets better for your friends family x

Thanks italmum :rofl:

Not sure what will happen, if he does it again? hopefully they will be supervising the kid and the Cav a bit more closely from now on..

When is it you are meeting Christian ? :D

i am meeting him tomorrow after the kids have scoffed down easter eggs....i will escape and leave daddy to deal with the sugar high :doh: they will go nuts......i only feed my kids organic..natural no preservative food...i notice the change in their behaviour if they have chocky, juice, cordial (some varieties) chips etc...so i am a lil scared :eek:

Well my baby making days are over, so hopefully i wont encounter too much jealousy :( but..you really never can trust kids with dogs and vice versa!! hopefully he wont be leaving the family or anything

oh and CLOCKS BACK ONE HOUR TONIGHT PPL :(

Edited by italmum

Happy Easter to you Italium and your family !

Sooooo.. been patiently waiting all day to hear how your meeting with Christian went ???(I'm living through ur posts atm because I want another Cav lol) :laugh:

Hope the kids have been not too ratty after all their sugar intake today as well :laugh:

Edited by JulesLuvsCavs

Happy Easter to you Italium and your family !

Sooooo.. been patiently waiting all day to hear how your meeting with Christian went ???(I'm living through ur posts atm because I want another Cav lol) :laugh:

Hope the kids have been not too ratty after all their sugar intake today as well :D

What a perfect little dog :laugh: He has the calmest temperament, so quiet and well behaved.

He is coming to visit my kids here tomorrow, so once again fingers cross that they will be ok with a dog around here...thats really what it comes down to, i hope they are ready for a doggy. And if they are not, I have choosen my breeder - what a lovely person she is!! ;)

Time will tell what the future holds for our family...