Finding It Hard To Find The "one" :cry:

italmum

Hi guys!!

I know you wanted to hear whats been going on with "ollie" aka as Christian the dog, Everything was going great..he had settled in really well into our family life, and was my lil doggy shadow :)

My son suffers from asthma , and had been having a few fairly major episodes in the past couple of weeks..the doctor said it may be enviromental and we had pretty much put it down to the dog flaring up his allergies.

Ollie was quarantened away from Christian (my son) for a day to see if his breathing got better, which it did..after a few allergy tests with the docs on saturday. it confirmed that he has allergies to pet hair..and appariently Cav's shed quite alot!! Which Ollie did.

So after all the heartache trying to find the dog for our family and then actually finding Ollie, unfortunatley looks like we wont ever get to own a dog :laugh:

Its a bit upsetting, and Ollie cried when i had to return him :laugh: as did my son when i drove off with Ollie

Italmum, a Miniature Poodle might be worth a go. I've had a few asthma suffers be fine with my dogs. There are other low shedders that might be worth spending an hour around too.

So sorry to hear about Christian though. :o

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to start an argument because I am far from knowledgable on the subject, but I was under the impression it wasn't the dog's hair that is the problem, but the flaking skin?

Have you been able to look into this, italmum?

It depends. Some people are allergic to the skin (dander) and some are allergic to the hair.

what a shame italmum, but childrens health is more important. :)

I understand Christian (Ollie) has been returned to the breeder and italmum and family are very upset as they were attached to him.

Cavaliers do shed alot and having a child confirmed as allergic to pet hair it really is not an ideal situation for dog and child.

I know when I got my first dog I couldnt breathe due to my asthma and spent alot of time with the doctor to manage the asthma with stronger medication, over time this has got better but I am still on strong medication but I could not live without my cavs :rofl:

I applaud italmum to return the dog to the breeder, whilst upsetting to the entire family the child can now breathe easy in his own home. Hopefully as the child ages the allergy subsides and in the future they can get the dog of their dreams (a cavalier).

Good luck italmum ;)

I am surprised that you wanted a cavalier given that your son has asthma ;) The best option would be to take your son along next time and have him spend a good hour or two with a dog in order to ensure that there will not be any further

reaction.

I am surprised that you wanted a cavalier given that your son has asthma ;) The best option would be to take your son along next time and have him spend a good hour or two with a dog in order to ensure that there will not be any further

reaction.

Now I'm confused having asthma doesn't necessarily mean it will be triggered by pet hair. My OH had asthma as a child it was triggered by lactose, some preservatives and certain pollens. But they had both cats and dogs without a problem.

I'm sorry it must have been heartbreaking. I hope you're able to find a dog that doesn't trigger your sons asthma

I am surprised that you wanted a cavalier given that your son has asthma :) The best option would be to take your son along next time and have him spend a good hour or two with a dog in order to ensure that there will not be any further

reaction.

My son has asthma and has 'died' several times before his 5th birthday and only been revived with adrenalin injections. THank goodness these days he is great ;) We have always had many dogs and cats and they have slept with him. He was allergic to cold air!!!! which is why we moved to QLD and he has never had an attack since.

Maybe you need to brush up on asthma.

italmum, I'm devastated for you and your family, I know how much you were looking forward to sharing your lives with Ollie. I'm very very sorry. Hopefully you may be able to find a pet that does not spark off your son's allergies. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you all.xxxxxxx

reaction.

Now I'm confused having asthma doesn't necessarily mean it will be triggered by pet hair. My OH had asthma as a child it was triggered by lactose, some preservatives and certain pollens. But they had both cats and dogs without a problem.

I'm sorry it must have been heartbreaking. I hope you're able to find a dog that doesn't trigger your sons asthma

What is there to be so confused, VA? I am fully aware that asthma sufferers react differently and that not all are allergic to

the same thing but when one does have asthma, common sense has to set in and with that the realisation that there is an element of risk that one could be allergic to certain things including animals, right? What this boils down to is that the son should be taken along for the ride when next seeking another dog rather than adopt an animal only then to have to return it, sheesh.

Edited by Abigail

I am surprised that you wanted a cavalier given that your son has asthma :) The best option would be to take your son along next time and have him spend a good hour or two with a dog in order to ensure that there will not be any further

reaction.

My son has asthma and has 'died' several times before his 5th birthday and only been revived with adrenalin injections. THank goodness these days he is great ;) We have always had many dogs and cats and they have slept with him. He was allergic to cold air!!!! which is why we moved to QLD and he has never had an attack since.

Maybe you need to brush up on asthma.

italmum, I'm devastated for you and your family, I know how much you were looking forward to sharing your lives with Ollie. I'm very very sorry. Hopefully you may be able to find a pet that does not spark off your son's allergies. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you all.xxxxxxx

The only thing that needs brushing here is my hair and my teeth which is done a few time daily anyway, thanks very much. As I said, asthma does not affect all the sufferers in the same manner but there is that element of risk that animals could be a direct contributing factor and hence one should do their homework a little more thoroughly. I too am sorry that things didnt work out, I just hope that next time the little boy will be present when choosing the next dog. In having said all this, I don't doubt for a moment that italmum and the kids can and will provide a loving and fabulous home and I sincerely hope that the quest for another pet is not abandoned, that would be a real shame.

Edited by Abigail

Abigail you appear not to have been following what was happening, and are looking for an argument.

Italmum AND the kids went to the breeders house to meet the puppy, so it appears homework has been done, it is just unfortunate that one of the kids were affected after having the puppy in the house for a few days.

Abigail you appear not to have been following what was happening, and are looking for an argument.

Italmum AND the kids went to the breeders house to meet the puppy, so it appears homework has been done, it is just unfortunate that one of the kids were affected after having the puppy in the house for a few days.

;) xxxxxx

Why would I be looking for an argument, cvs? not at all in fact. I thought that if all the kids were present when meeting the pup, that the boy with asthma would have reacted after a short while ;)

I thought that if all the kids were present when meeting the pup, that the boy with asthma would have reacted after a short while ;)

That isn't correct either. You can have a delayed reaction. My cousin got a dog and her husdand and child were fine for a few months. They then both reacted severly (at different times) and had to go to emergency. Both were fine after the dog was responsibly rehomed.

Why would I be looking for an argument, cvs? not at all in fact. I thought that if all the kids were present when meeting the pup, that the boy with asthma would have reacted after a short while ;)

Negative. some things can take ages to show up. anyone with a child with asthma is always aware and careful of triggers, it is a frightening 'disease'.

many triggers are not obvious.

I thought that if all the kids were present when meeting the pup, that the boy with asthma would have reacted after a short while ;)

That isn't correct either. You can have a delayed reaction. My cousin got a dog and her husdand and child were fine for a few months. They then both reacted severly (at different times) and had to go to emergency. Both were fine after the dog was responsibly rehomed.

Okay, I do apologise for entering into a discussion that I thought I knew but instead knew nothing about. SORRY. :)

omg...We did the right thing, and it was only after a week of the dog "being inside" that we noticed the change...he has never reacted to pets before this, and he spent a good while with the dog before we decided to go on trial...its a bit of a surprise, i knew that dust triggered his asthma but had no idea that a dog would. And Cavs being inside dogs even with brushing obviously there was hair lying around..i do love Cavs, and perhaps as the breeder told me, he could grow out of his allergies.

I certainly hope so ;) I also feel sorry for Ollie, he really loved my kids, so atleast now he can be re-homed into another family with small kids ...thats all i wish for him

Okay, I do apologise for entering into a discussion that I thought I knew but instead knew nothing about. SORRY. :)

We breed a breed known to be more suitable for asthmatics BUT even some people still react to that,it is often the dander that is the issue so the more hair that is shed the bigger the reaction,as cavies do shed alot there would be alot more around.

We often get people with children who do have severe asthma looking for a dog & we explain that this breed isnt a guarantee & to consider all aspects carefully because like the situation here it can be heartbreaking for the kids & some people will react to one non shedding breed over another

For some it can be a few days,months latter,some can react that day but many dont

As a side note i react to 1 breed Shar pei in a chronic rash,i do not react or have issues with any other breed.

Edited by showdog

I'm sorry to hear this Italiumum :mad

It was good that there was at least a month's trial in place for both you and your breeder.

I am not seriously allergic as such to our Cavs or cats but at times (and depending on the season), all their hair/fur will give me a sore itchy throat. In my case I can take an antihistamine to give me some relief. Asthma is different tho :laugh:

All the best :love: