Finding It Hard To Find The "one" :cry:

italmum

How sad for you all italmum :laugh:

Still, you really had not choice, you just can't risk your son's health! I'm sure little Ollie (Christian again now?) will find the right home for him, and hopefully your family will find the right doggy for you, when the time is right. At least Ollie's breeder will be able to confirm to his next family that he is a happy, adaptable little fellow who is definitely good with children. Hugs to all of you :mad

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How sad for you all italmum :laugh:

Still, you really had not choice, you just can't risk your son's health! I'm sure little Ollie (Christian again now?) will find the right home for him, and hopefully your family will find the right doggy for you, when the time is right. At least Ollie's breeder will be able to confirm to his next family that he is a happy, adaptable little fellow who is definitely good with children. Hugs to all of you :mad

Thanks all, it is good that the breeder can place him with another active family if they can. I do miss the cheeky lil fella! And you're right Atleast my son will be in better health without Ollie being around

I don't want to start an argument because I am far from knowledgable on the subject, but I was under the impression it wasn't the dog's hair that is the problem, but the flaking skin?

Have you been able to look into this, italmum?

It depends. Some people are allergic to the skin (dander) and some are allergic to the hair.

And yet others are allergic to saliva.

I am so sorry OP, how heartbreaking for your son and the rest of your family....

I have asthma, but the only thing that triggers it is cigarette smoke :mad as no one here or even close to me smokes I haven't had an asthma attack in years.

I did once own a dog that I became allergic too after having her for weeks, I found out she was a double coated dog, she was sent back to the breeder regretfully. I have since only ever had single coated dogs, even Zoe had to be single coated, and I have never been allergic to any of them. So it affects all people differently. I just hope you find a dog one day that your son can be near.

BF

I am surprised that you wanted a cavalier given that your son has asthma :laugh: The best option would be to take your son along next time and have him spend a good hour or two with a dog in order to ensure that there will not be any further

reaction.

My son has asthma and has 'died' several times before his 5th birthday and only been revived with adrenalin injections. THank goodness these days he is great :mad We have always had many dogs and cats and they have slept with him. He was allergic to cold air!!!! which is why we moved to QLD and he has never had an attack since.

Maybe you need to brush up on asthma.

italmum, I'm devastated for you and your family, I know how much you were looking forward to sharing your lives with Ollie. I'm very very sorry. Hopefully you may be able to find a pet that does not spark off your son's allergies. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you all.xxxxxxx

Monah mine is triggered by cold also, more specifically the drop in temperature rather than the temperature itself, and exercise does it too. It's interesting how it can manifest in so many different ways with such finite triggers. I couldn't really avoid changes in temperature so I've had to rely heavily on correct medication, thankfully I'm on a great one now in the past it was a nightmare to manage :love:

Abigail don't feel too bad there are a lot of misconceptions about asthma that abound unless you have been through the treatment merrygoround the information is not always freely available.

Italimum fingers crossed you can find a suitable breed that wont trigger your son's reactions, has the doctor suggested any tests to isolate the cause so you can find out whether another breed would suit without having to go through the stress of trialling a dog at home for weeks?

italmum how devastating. I found out yesterday from Christian's breeder.

I hope you can find a dog that does not induce your son's asthma.

Yes they knew i was upset :hug: did she say how he was?? i was going to email her today...but i thought she may think im weird lol

I say go the whole hog and get a puppy, Pups are resiliant and you and the kids would have a lot of fun teaching him/her. Perfect if you are a stay at home mum, lots of time for kids and pup. When I got Cooper now nearly 4, he was 8 weeks old, at the time I had my own child care business and I had kids of all ages under 4 coming and going all the time, Cooper loved it always someone new to play with, I never ever had a problem with him at all, he was so sad when I finished up to take a different job. I dont have kids of my own and even now if we go somewhere there are kids or if we have kids visit, he gets that glint in his eye and his tail starts going madly he just loves kids and I think it is because of his early interaction with them!! Anyway good luck I hope you find what your looking for!!

HAHA dont tempt me!! i would love a lil pup...but i have to think of the kids, well the dog really.. I want them to enjoy each others company :)

You could try cavvie rescue. There are some groups out there that may have a mature age cav needing a new home

:rofl:

I say go the whole hog and get a puppy, Pups are resiliant and you and the kids would have a lot of fun teaching him/her. Perfect if you are a stay at home mum, lots of time for kids and pup. When I got Cooper now nearly 4, he was 8 weeks old, at the time I had my own child care business and I had kids of all ages under 4 coming and going all the time, Cooper loved it always someone new to play with, I never ever had a problem with him at all, he was so sad when I finished up to take a different job. I dont have kids of my own and even now if we go somewhere there are kids or if we have kids visit, he gets that glint in his eye and his tail starts going madly he just loves kids and I think it is because of his early interaction with them!! Anyway good luck I hope you find what your looking for!!

HAHA dont tempt me!! i would love a lil pup...but i have to think of the kids, well the dog really.. I want them to enjoy each others company :cheer:

You could try cavvie rescue. There are some groups out there that may have a mature age cav needing a new home

Ummm i found a dog...and it turns out my son is allergic