Labradors And Agility

After working my "Lab who can't jump" tonight, I think I am going to have to eat my words :cry: Some very lovely jumping! If she has to jump 600 well I don't think we'll bother competing, but if she scrapes in at 500 I may just give her a shot! We were jumping 400 tonight. Very impressed with my smart little blondie!!! :cry::rofl:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I run a Lab x in agility, she's 4 yo and done really well despite her being my first dog. Darcy had her JDM title at just gone 3 and her ADM by 3.5.

Darcy is a 500 dog for ANKC agility, she weighs around the 22 to 23 kg mark - very Labrador in her looks and it's not until people see her run that they ask if she is purebred Lab. She is pretty fast, she's not in the league of the super quick dogs but she's certainly no slouch and does very well placing wise if I can run her without my usual stuff ups. :D

The biggest issue I have is keeping weight off her, she is raw fed and I still battle to keep her as lean as she needs to be for agility. I am really careful with her diet, but working her to keep her lean takes a lot of my time - we do about an hour a day of swimming/water retreiving, hill work, off lead running or biking or occasional flat ground retreiving. That sucks a lot of potential training time - particularly when daylight hours are short and I don't get home from work as early as I'd like. :)

After working my "Lab who can't jump" tonight, I think I am going to have to eat my words :) Some very lovely jumping! If she has to jump 600 well I don't think we'll bother competing, but if she scrapes in at 500 I may just give her a shot! We were jumping 400 tonight. Very impressed with my smart little blondie!!! :D :)

:love: Awesome. You could always do ADAA trials and run her in the Regular Maxi Class where she can jump 550.

After working my "Lab who can't jump" tonight, I think I am going to have to eat my words :) Some very lovely jumping! If she has to jump 600 well I don't think we'll bother competing, but if she scrapes in at 500 I may just give her a shot! We were jumping 400 tonight. Very impressed with my smart little blondie!!! :D :)

:love: Awesome. You could always do ADAA trials and run her in the Regular Maxi Class where she can jump 550.

If you do ADAA and she ends up measuring Maxi and you are worried about the height, I agree do Regular and not International (International jumps 650)

I'll have to read up on this ADAA thing. Actually, I still need to read up on ANKC agility too, I don't know the rules :laugh: First up though, pull my finger out and get my dogs measured so I know for sure their jumping heights! :thumbsup:

With Labradors doing agility when do you advice they start, as I have a now almost 12month old lab(possible lab X) and while he is not fat he weighs in around 40kg and I do not want to start to early

I wouldnt do it before 24 months with such a big dog but thats just my opinion :(

With Labradors doing agility when do you advice they start, as I have a now almost 12month old lab(possible lab X) and while he is not fat he weighs in around 40kg and I do not want to start to early

I wouldnt do it before 24 months with such a big dog but thats just my opinion :(

The norm for Chessies is 2 and a half, especially for agility.

:shrug: RubyStar if you want a 400 dog to run I'll send you pocket rocket - still not sure I have made the right decision re not jumping her at 500 but we will see. If she decides to spend the whole round biting/spinning or barking at me because she is frustrated she will get moved up to 500 for the next trial :rofl: .

If I wanted a lab for agility I would see if I could get hold of a "failed" Customs dog. They are adopted out to families from time to time and are lean labs bred for an active working life. The only thing to watch is that the breeding program aims for a pretty full on working temperament, but on the other hand, sometimes the ones that flunk flunk because they don't have that.

Customs sourced their foundation stock from one of Australia's top field line kennels. :shrug:

Would you be able to tell me which kennel that was?