Car Harness Question

Jodi1981

I find the black dog wear website a little confusing, so have (hopefully) attached two images, one of the actual car harness and the other of their ute lead attachment.

Basically you clip the ute lead to the harness and then attach it to your anchor point in car/ute/wagon etc.

I've found this harness pretty good and after using it a few times it's quick and easy to put on.

ETA: photo showing actual harness shows the strap that comes with the harness for threading seatbelt through. When you use the ute lead attachment you attach it to the same place (instead of the seatbelt attachment). Hope that makes sense!

post-23629-1269996830_thumb.png

post-23629-1269996862_thumb.png

Edited by BIG-DOG-LOVER

I would like to be able to attach the strap from the harness to the child safety seat anchor point, the dogs do not get as tangled up as the strap goes straight up over the back of the seat into the anchor point.

We had this in our last car which was a Commodore sedan, I now have a station wagon with the anchor points on the back of the seats, so it would still work well, but I am unable to buy the straps with the correct catch to clip onto these anchor points.

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy these clips ?

I would like to be able to attach the strap from the harness to the child safety seat anchor point, the dogs do not get as tangled up as the strap goes straight up over the back of the seat into the anchor point.

We had this in our last car which was a Commodore sedan, I now have a station wagon with the anchor points on the back of the seats, so it would still work well, but I am unable to buy the straps with the correct catch to clip onto these anchor points.

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy these clips ?

A big bulldog clip doesnt work? this is what I was looking at doing because Im sick of my dogs getting tangled in the car

BDL, thanks I was looking on the website and all I could find was the one that the seatbelt goes through, do they clip onto the standard anchor points on cars easily?

Yeah all anchor points are standard now, its only on the older cars (2000 and beyond) that might have different ones, Im not sure when they were all put in as standard and were all made the same type of fitting, I guess maybe all carseats were made with a standard clip years ago, so they decided they better make a standard anchor to fit them instead of making people get adaptors

Ill have to take a good look at those clips, it will save a lot of suffering when my dogs get tangled, plus my dogs keep stepping on the plug and releasing themselves by accident lol. How long does their postage usually take do you know?

Edited by GoldenGirl85

We found the easiest way with Sophie (because she got tangled when we used the seatbelt cause she likes to lay down and have a snooze on the back seat) was to pass the handle of her lead through the D ring on the harness and then thread the clip end of the lead through the handle end to tie it on. Then we just clip her lead to the car seat anchor in the back seat - works great - often we actually just have the lead threaded through her collar rather than putting the harness on her if its a shorter trip as she just lays on the back seat and we have a backseat buddy as it is so if we had an accident my 38kg GSD isnt flying through the windscreen or snapping her neck. She's a happy traveller.

Our commodore has 1 anchor for a child seat but our Nissan Tiida has 3 :thumbsup: ;) ;) one for each person in the back which is great because i can easily secure 3 dogs in the back - its a great little car and good head height too and plenty of boot space for gazebo's, folding chairs and other doggie stuff. Eventually we'll upgrade to a bigger 4x4 or something because we'll need to fit kids in the back and dogs in the back back, hehe. But for now Sophie is my baby so she gets it to herself.

Yep they clip on to the normal anchor points very easily. I have a Holden Sportwagon if that's any help, but I'd presume most car anchor points are similar.

Sorry about what is probably a stupid question, but I don't know what 'car anchor points' are, and if I have them in my car, where are they located?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but an anchor point is a structurally sound/strong part of the car which you can attach safety devices (ie. baby capsule) to.

I think all cars have anchor points? In our car (mitsb. lancer) the anchor points are behind the passenger seat headrests.

*edit to look it up on google*

From RACV

question

what is an anchor point and where is it located in my vehicle?

answer

Infant restraints, child car seats, child harnesses and some booster seats need to be attached via a top tether strap to an anchor point in the car.

The anchor point can be found on the parcel shelf in sedans, and on the floor area in station wagons, vans and hatchbacks. Some station wagons may have the anchor point on the inside roof area. Depending when a car was manufactured, this will be either a special anchor bolt or anchor fitting. Not all vehicles are equipped with an anchor point and some vehicles will require special modifications to fit one. Beware that you do not confuse the luggage hook in the back of a station wagon with anchor points.

Edited by 16Paws

Our anchor points have all been either on the back parcel tray (sedan) or behind the back seat (wagon). Some cars they are not fitted, and you have to buy the actual fitting to screw in, so if you dont see a fitting, look for the spot where it might go.

They look like this Anchor-Bolt%20_sm.jpg

Lol, Im having the same problem, I know my Mazda has 2 points on both sides, but I cant remember if they are on the floor of the boot, or if they are on the back of the seats. Im wondering if the ute lead mentioned previously will be long enough to secure my dogs while letting them lay down on the seat...and my car is currently at the panel beaters so I cant just check

Anyone have an 09 model Mazda3? lol

EDIT

Ok I just discovered they are on the back of the seats which is good, if anyone has that model car do they mind measuring from the anchor point to the bottom of the seat (on the seat side) for me? TTIA

Edited by GoldenGirl85

Just checked my car and looked in the user manual. It seems that the anchor points are at the rear of the hatchback, right up close to the hatch door. The manual also says something about an ISOFIX bar........

Just went out again and looked between the rear seat bit and rear backrest and there are four sort of u-shaped thick/heavy bars right there [didn't know they were there hiding under the seat covers]. Would I be able to use the bars and not the tether bit at the rear of the hatch. If so, what sort of clip would be best? Perhaps just a short lead attached to the harness or is there a special clip/tether that would attach to both harness and bar? Hope I'm explaining what I mean properly lol....

ETA My car is an '06 Mazda 2 hatch.

Edited by iggy mum

Just checked my car and looked in the user manual. It seems that the anchor points are at the rear of the hatchback, right up close to the hatch door. The manual also says something about an ISOFIX bar........

Just went out again and looked between the rear seat bit and rear backrest and there are four sort of u-shaped thick/heavy bars right there [didn't know they were there hiding under the seat covers]. Would I be able to use the bars and not the tether bit at the rear of the hatch. If so, what sort of clip would be best? Perhaps just a short lead attached to the harness or is there a special clip/tether that would attach to both harness and bar? Hope I'm explaining what I mean properly lol....

ETA My car is an '06 Mazda 2 hatch.

Like this?? http://waggle.com.au/petbuckle-b18/kwik-connect-tether-p272

It is supposed to connect to the LATCH bar. I think that is what you are describing?