Council Says Our Dogs Are A Disturbance At Night

sandra64

Get this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are on 5 acres and the dogs are secured in the yard...Today we get a visit from the council officer saying he has had a complaint of our dogs roaming at night(i was at work) and the OH says is that so. The officer goes yep, a brown dog and a black dog. isnt that what you have, and OH says yes but they dont wander. He says are you sure about that, OH says oh im sure, and i know the tone he would have used. (Our dogs are locked on the back verandah all night, a walls distance from our bedroom so i know its not them). The next property is a rental and the guy has moved in with 3 border collies and no fence, 2 black and one tan(or whatever colour they call it). now this guyfrom council has come straight to us, who are the only ones with registered fenced dogs, and did nothing about the neighbours either side of me with unfenced dogs. I just lost more faith in the Ipswich Council. He said to OH are these dogs registered and OH said yep, and officer said are you sure about that in a smartass manner, OH said, is there a law that says they have to have their collars on in their yard, and he said, umm no. I am so angry that i get accused of having unruly dogs, when either side of me have unfenced unregistered, and to top it off some entire dogs...gotta love it

Why is it the ones that do the right thing are always targeted, do not talk to me about councils. Sorry long story and i will not go there .

Because most Rangers/ Comunity Law Safety Officers are generally not the most sharpest tool in the box and have little to no skills in investigative or common sense techniques, I am more than qualified to comment on this issue as an ex CLS Ranger. Working with people who generalize and only tackle the easy people is a quick and safe way to write a job off!!

There are many stories I could tell, but I havent the time nor the patience any more lol!!

With the State Dog Act ( whatever is in each state) and a Local Law knowledge people can and do beat the councils at their own usually "bluff game"

Geebus guys, he was only checking his facts and coming out to investigate. What do you expect he does, ignore complaints? Wow, lighten up and let the man do his job.

Think I have to agree here. The guy was just doing his job :cry: Perhaps your OH could have been more helpful and politely shown the ranger where the dogs were kept during the night?

Geebus guys, he was only checking his facts and coming out to investigate. What do you expect he does, ignore complaints? Wow, lighten up and let the man do his job.

Think I have to agree here. The guy was just doing his job :cry: Perhaps your OH could have been more helpful and politely shown the ranger where the dogs were kept during the night?

i have to agree here the man was asking and i dont see what the harm would have been to show him your dogs sleeping area and then pointed him in the direction of the dogs in question.

he was given information about a 2 dogs that matched your dogs discription and if the neighbours dogs arent registered then it only makes sense to come to you guys first.

I think the problem is going to be proving it wasn't your dogs.

My brother moved into a new rental property (first tenants after it was built) and within 2 weeks they received a show cause regarding barking dogs and dog roaming the street. Given the dogs were at my house and not with him and there wasn't anyone living in the house until they arrived - they still had to prove it wasn't their dogs causing the problems. Just telling them there wasn't any dogs on the property wasn't sufficient ....

I absolutely agree, im glad he was doing his job, but when i have asked them to check twice why the 2 dogs that live next to me are not fenced or registered, and have attacked my livestock, and that was over 12months ago and i have also asked andrew antonoilli the councillor for ipswich, and still nothing has been done, you get a little annoyed. Yes he came in to our yard and wanted to know if our dogs were out at night, the OH said no they are locked up ,instead of asking ok can you show me, he said well ive had a complaint about a black dog and a brown dog, you have a black and a brown, are you sure they dont get out. I think if he has no other questions, and the person in question has said no they dont get out, that should be the end it, you have answered his question, dont make the person out to be a liar, and thats the way the officer was heading. I do not have a problem with questions being asked ,not at all, but follow up ALL complaints. Oh and by the way if i were home, i wouldnt be pointing him in any direction, cause i personally havent seen the dogs out at night, cause im never up there in the dark.

Edited by sandra64

I think if he has no other questions, and the person in question has said no they dont get out, that should be the end it, you have answered his question, dont make the person out to be a liar, and thats the way the officer was heading. I do not have a problem with questions being asked ,not at all, but follow up ALL complaints.

Well on one hand you're complaining that your complaints (you think) were not followed up and then complaining that a complaint WAS followed up. I agree with the others who said good on him for doing his job.

I think the problem is going to be proving it wasn't your dogs.

My brother moved into a new rental property (first tenants after it was built) and within 2 weeks they received a show cause regarding barking dogs and dog roaming the street. Given the dogs were at my house and not with him and there wasn't anyone living in the house until they arrived - they still had to prove it wasn't their dogs causing the problems. Just telling them there wasn't any dogs on the property wasn't sufficient ....

The ranger has to prove that it WAS your dogs not the other way around ( Thank god!!) or there would be people in trouble for everything! on the say so or guess of the community!! lol

I guess all states differ slightly but in WA it is an offence to have a dog on a property that cant be contained, (inside the house is not generally acceptable)

no complaints mate, just cant understand how dogs can be unfenced next door, if the council had followed up wouldnt they be in a fenced area....well!!!!!!!!! look i dont have a problem coming to our place asking, that not the issue, the issue is we said no they dont get out, and he wasnt happy with that answer, he basically said we were covering up, and that i dont take kindly to, and frankly neither would you

He has to ask the questions and all you have to do is answer them.

Many years ago when living in suburbia, I had a visit from the ranger because of a complaint that my dogs barked all day and fought all night. Now at this stage I had a VERY young baby, a Saluki and a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. If they fought all night, I'd have known about it because at that stage, both dogs slept on the end of my bed and if they barked all day *I* would have killed the beggars because they would have woken the baby!!!!

I calmly told the ranger about this and introduced her to the dogs who didn't even bark at her standing there on the front verandah. I don't know what happened after that because she never returned. My guess is that she went back to the complainant and asked for more information, maybe did some more investigating and found out who the real culprits were.

the issue is we said no they dont get out, and he wasnt happy with that answer, he basically said we were covering up, and that i dont take kindly to, and frankly neither would you

Well....without wanting to offend you....if the tone was similar to that which you are using in this thread, I can probably understand why you got him offside. When dealing with situations like this, the old saying "you catch more flies with honey, than you do with vinegar" really does hold true!

People lie to law enforcement officers all the time. They're not going to voluntarily get themselves into trouble. While you may expect to be taken at face value, the sad truth is that enforcement officers cannot afford to do that. I know this may be an extreme example but prisons are full of people who say they didn't do it. It's probably what your neighbours said when they were investigated for their dogs attacking your stock!

the issue is we said no they dont get out, and he wasnt happy with that answer, he basically said we were covering up, and that i dont take kindly to, and frankly neither would you

Well....without wanting to offend you....if the tone was similar to that which you are using in this thread, I can probably understand why you got him offside. When dealing with situations like this, the old saying "you catch more flies with honey, than you do with vinegar" really does hold true!

You could never offend my ellz......the tone im using in here is probably similar to alot of threads on these forums.....Im sure not many in here would take kindly to anyone coming on to your property, you politely telling them that your dogs dont leave the yard day or night, and then them telling you are you sure about that. The question was answered POLITELY. Take it how ever you want to read it.

Yes and I agree that he should and was right to do so. But reading the OP, his responses of "Is that so?" sounds (if I take what I imagine the tone would have been correctly) goading to me. That's not something I expect of anyone, let alone an officially appointed office of government or council.

You could never offend my ellz......the tone im using in here is probably similar to alot of threads on these forums.....Im sure not many in here would take kindly to anyone coming on to your property, you politely telling them that your dogs dont leave the yard day or night, and then them telling you are you sure about that. The question was answered POLITELY. Take it how ever you want to read it.

Fair enough. And in response...as I said in my other reply. The same thing happened to me. I answered the questions, they went on their way to investigate further. And I didn't hear any more about it.

They have a job to do and in many cases, they do it quite well.

Yes and I agree that he should and was right to do so. But reading the OP, his responses of "Is that so?" sounds (if I take what I imagine the tone would have been correctly) goading to me. That's not something I expect of anyone, let alone an officially appointed office of government or council.

Erny, I think if you re-read, you'll find that the OP's OH said "is that so"....NOT the ranger. And yes, that's MY point....it sounded goading so if it were me and I were the ranger, I'd be a bit taken aback and probably somewhat hostile to the reception as well.