The Set Up At Home Outside For Your Dogs

Whipitgood

This is more of a question for those who live on acreage who have multiple dogs eg. breeders etc.

We have just bought 5 acres. We are building a house that has its own designated 3 x 3 dog room for whelping, sleeping etc. This room has direct access to the outside.

I was wondering what people have set up outside for their dogs, in terms of runs, paddocks and shelter. I am trying to figure out the best way of going about fencing off areas. Ideally, i would like a few different areas to be able to separate dogs, such as bitches in season, puppy runs etc. But it needs to be functional and safe, with adequate shelter when they are outside.

Would anyone like to share some photos, experience and ideas of their set up at home? It would be much appreciated!

Cheers in advance! :eek:

I used chicken wire for my fences as I have horses on the other side and dog mesh isn't good for them. The chicken mesh has got really saggy even with a 3 wire support so I would not use that.

AHHH you'll love the 5 acres. We are on 5 acres here. We had it set up previously for grey racers but it fit with whippet pretty good. The house is fenced about 1/2 acres worth and snake proofed. We also had to chicken wire the inside of the fence because of a fence jumper. We have 2x 100 metre galloping runs down the side of the property. Inside the fenced area of the house we have 4x 20 metre runs for the babies and bitches on season. We use netting over the top of 2 of them due the hawks in the area (gorgeous birds :eek: ). Off the back part of the fenced (house area) there is a opening in the fence (gate) to a small walkway which has an indoor 9 kennel complex. I can put two whippets together as they don't like sleeping solo :confused: . There is also an "empty out" area off the shed which is cyclone meshed and about 30m x 10m.

I could email pix if you like.

edit: some of my dimensions were off.

Edited by whippets

We are on 5 acres too. We have a very traditional 3 block kennel that has a large grassed area fenced around it aprox 9x9 + two large fenced bays 6x9 which each has a shelter similar to a open horse shelter, we also then have a large paddock about half an acre that we use as a day run and then of course have the fenced house yard. All of my fencing is timber posts with dog wire and the 3 strainer wire. I have found this setup great with being able to separate puppies from older dogs etc.

Hi Whippets, your place sounds great! I am sooo looking forward to space, peace and tranquility, not only for our own sanity but also so i can have a better set up for the dogs.

I would love to see some photos if you have time please :eek: My email is [email protected] (its on my website too).

When you say you have covered the top with wire due to hawks ... is that because the hawkes pinch baby whippies???!!! :confused: We have many wedgetail eagles and i never thought of that! Oh my god could you imagine it? An eagle taking off with a whippet baby :confused:

Once the dogs are out in the runs, what do you have for shelter from rain, cold or heat? I have seen some people have sheds but i cant imagine that would be too comfy in summer?

I don't know if the hawks would take the pups but they "could" because I've seen them catch rabbits. Therefore I put netting up (the stuff they use to cover fruit trees, it's pretty cheap). I'll take some pix tommorow when the weather is a bit better :thumbsup: and send them to you.

Hi Whipitgood.

We are on 50 acres and have a couple of areas especially made for our Dogs.

One area is approx 14m x 6m, an area inside is decked where there is two kennels ( this gives them the chance to relax by themselves, which often happens ), there is a fake grass beside the decking a large Manchurian Pear tree in the middle that we bought mature for shade in summer and the guys will sleep under it.

Then the rear area has rocks ( just part of the landscape here ) and we spread straw down and in summer we moisten on hot days if we are going out and they are locked in their run.

The fencing we used was treated pine pailings with a couple of two-three meter openings where we used square thick wire so they could look out at the view ( cows and horses to them ).

We placed chicken wire like you would for rabbit proofing, and since Buster has been bitten by several snakes have tried our best to snake proof the area.

We have a carport which extends over part of the area for shade etc and shade cloth over another part, what this does is gives different areas at different times of the day shade, we will often come home to find Shadow ( Black Lab ) in the shade, Charli semi shade and Buster basking in the sun and all within inches of each other.

They obvioulsy love the area because when we are on our way out and want them to go into their Run we just say ' Ok in your Run' and they all head straight to the door.

We feel very confident that when we are not home that our dogs are safe and happy.

By the way they have toys, balls etc to play with.

We also have Wedge Tail Eagles, Kite Hawks and other amasing Bird life living within and around our property so we have a Domed Mirror ( same as a Shop mirror used for watching thiefs ) on top of their kennel as we have always been very paranoid that an eagle would swoop down and pick one of the little guys up.

We recently fenced of what we call our 'Weekend Yard' to contain our dogs whilst we were out in the garden this area is about 1/2 an acre and we can confidently allow them to roam around on grassed areas, decking, next to the house, back in their run if they wish etc and enjoy being a dog whilst we pottered in the garden, this has stopped the little ones from escaping of into the sunset and has given us peace of mind knowing that they are not getting into mischeive or worse still finding a snake and getting bitten.

I can send you some pics if you like :thumbsup:

PS your dogs will love the open spaces and so will you.

We are on a rural property....We have about a two acre garden, which is where the dogs are when we are home. Dog door means they are in and out as they please. We also have a Kennel room/run for our dogs. When we think we might be late, say nine hours or so. It is a ten by twelve room with a twelve by twenty run attached. It was covered for the working kelpie dogs, but now we have a lovely deciduous tree growing in the run and the fence is just seven foot high. Newfs are not known for their jumping. Ours love the area and often lie there when it is open and we are home. It is great to have, especially when we have pups. Our dogs do live mostly indoor when we are at work, because we have huge screened verandahs, where they love to live during the day. It is nice to have that secure area, but we mostly use it to look after our friends dogs when they go on holidays :thumbsup:

Sneaking in a 3 week old puppy pic.........because I can
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Oh dear, how cute is he/she! I love them at that age, just starting to growl and play and roll around! ;)

Yes the 3 x 3 room that is for the dogs is where ill have a whelping bitch, its inside the house attached to the laundry. Ill have room for a sofa in there too, for those long nights waiting and waiting!!

I know Sonnet is his mummy, whos his daddy?

We built our shed and runs specifically for our furkids. Have a look here http://www.idigadog.com.au/kennels.htm at some piccies that may give you some ideas :rofl:

Fantastic set up and I totally enjoyed looking at your website. Your dogs are wonderful and to see your photos has been an eye opener.

Got to ask you about your bikes though - where did you get them from - not having anything to do with sledding I have never seen them before.

Great site. Well done..

Hey Andisa. Thankyou for the compliments!

Our scooters and rigs were made by a frame maker/welder who lives at Gundaroo. He makes recumbent bicycles and all sorts of weird and wonderful things so loves the challenge of getting something very strong, but also very light. There are a few people within the sledding community who also make them and there is a wide variety of frames out there.

Glad you enjoyed the pictures :)