Microchip Information

iggy mum

About five weeks ago I adopted a dog from Blacktown Pound and had her sent down to Victoria. I have the paperwork from the pound, which includes her microchip number so thought I'd try to find a record of it online as I wanted to find out how to update it into my name. I have checked numerous websites to do a search including:

Central Animal Records (CAR)

National Pet Register

Petsafe

Australasian Animal Registry (AAR)

Home Safe ID

Her microchip number is not listed on any of these sites. WTF!!! What's the point in having a dog microchipped but not registering the details. Is this possible or am I doing something wrong?

So, by the looks of it her microchip record is not listed anywhere so which registry would be the best to list her with. I have two cats currently with CAR but can't find any forms on their website to complete a new registration. Or, does this need to be done by a vet or authorised microchipper?

I'm confused, any advice appreciated before I go loony ;)

This might help you :

Updating Registry Records - CAR

ETA: Stupid me :laugh: .... I see you've already been there. Why not give them a call tomorrow? And/or perhaps ring Blacktown Pound and ask them if they have to send paperwork in to transfer the dog to your name. I wouldn't think people could just transfer into their name without evidence of purchase (and from whom).

Sorry that I'm unable to assist you further, but ;) for adopting a dog who needed a home :eek: .

Edited by Erny

I believe those that you've listed are all optional registries that at the time of microchipping, an owner can elect to go on, or at a later date.

I believe it is the NSW Companion Animals Register that she would be registered on.

I also believe that detail updating is done with local council - if you didn't get a transfer of ownership form or anything stating her chip number, you may need to have her scanned by a vet and a 'Verification of Existing Chip' form completed. You then put your details on that and take it to the local council who will update it on the database.

Edited by stormie

Since she was chipped in NSW her details will be on the NSW Companion Animal Register, which isnt much use for you now she is in Victoria.

You will need to registered her microchip with a registry that is Australia Wide and/or a registry that is most appropriate for your area.

Thanks Erny but I've already tried that, entered the microchip number, hit search and got this message:

Microchip Search

You appear to be entering a FDX-B chip number which is not listed on the Central Animal Records database.

Please recheck the number and try again, or rescan the animal to obtain the correct microchip number.

If the microchip number is correct, the animal in question may be listed on another database. Please either phone or log-in via the links provided below to check the other databases, or if still unsuccessful phone our Customer Care team on (03) 9706 3187 for further assistance.

If ringing outside of business hours, ensure that you take note of any phone messages provided.

Phone numbers and Links to the other registries are:

Australasian Animal Registry - Ph: 02 9704 1450

Petsafe - Ph: 02 8850 6800

National Pet Register - Ph: 1300 734 738

Information contained on this page is adequate evidence of information recording for implanters under the Victorian Domestic (Feral and Nuisance) Animals Act and Regulation requirements.

Did a search of the microchip number with all those registries and got pretty much the same message:

microchip number not listed on this database.

Don't know where to go from here

Thanks stormie, I've just been looking at the pound paperwork again and there is a NSW Companion Animals Register Certificate of Identification as well as a completed Change of Owner form. After SLOWLY reading every word it does say that I need to take these forms to my local council when I register her with them. I guess I was confused as they don't mention anything about the registries that I had heard of, eg CAR etc. Thanks everyone, think I've got it sorted now, Cheers!!! ;)

I believe those that you've listed are all optional registries that at the time of microchipping, an owner can elect to go on, or at a later date.

I believe it is the NSW Companion Animals Register that she would be registered on.

I also believe that detail updating is done with local council - if you didn't get a transfer of ownership form or anything stating her chip number, you may need to have her scanned by a vet and a 'Verification of Existing Chip' form completed. You then put your details on that and take it to the local council who will update it on the database.

Don't know where to go from here

In the absence of anyone else who knows, perhaps ringing the numbers and actually getting to speak to a person would be of some assistance?

Did you ring the pound from whence you adopted her?

;) I see others have posted with better info than I could give. :laugh:

Edited by Erny

Since she was chipped in NSW her details will be on the NSW Companion Animal Register, which isnt much use for you now she is in Victoria.

You will need to registered her microchip with a registry that is Australia Wide and/or a registry that is most appropriate for your area.

And gillbear, which Australia wide registry would you suggest to be the best/most available or most used to check chip info. Thanks!!

And gillbear, which Australia wide registry would you suggest to be the best/most available or most used to check chip info. Thanks!!

I suggest get on the CAR registry. Apparently the NSW one is often overlooked when a lost dog is scanned.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I will get my new girl council registered this week and request that the microchip details be listed with CAR, ie if I have an option. Gotta love this forum and all the knowledgeable people giving advice to us newbies. :laugh: ;)

Hi Iggy Mum :laugh:

I would suggest registering her with CAR, they are well known and

They have a online search engine, unlike a couple of other registers,

I work in a shelter and we always jump online as soon as an animal comes up with a chip, too see if it is registered with CAR.

So that we can contact the owners much quicker!

Other wise, most of the others we have to call up and wait in line and speak to someone to be able to get the owners details.

Just my opinion :thumbsup:

BTW no point taking the papers to your local council - that step is only if your in NSW. The vic councils aren't linked to the NSw ones, so details will be updated in NSW. A great scheme that sure isn't interstate friendly.

BTW no point taking the papers to your local council - that step is only if your in NSW. The vic councils aren't linked to the NSw ones, so details will be updated in NSW. A great scheme that sure isn't interstate friendly.

So does that mean that anyone that transports a dog interstate can register a microchipped dog into their name without proof of ownership? Doesn't bode well for lost/stolen dogs if that is the case....

Hi Iggy Mum :laugh:

I would suggest registering her with CAR, they are well known and

They have a online search engine, unlike a couple of other registers,

I work in a shelter and we always jump online as soon as an animal comes up with a chip, too see if it is registered with CAR.

So that we can contact the owners much quicker!

Other wise, most of the others we have to call up and wait in line and speak to someone to be able to get the owners details.

Just my opinion :laugh:

Thanks for that, it seems that CAR is definitely the way to go!