Adelaide K9 Force Seminar - 8th May

Thanks for the tips MRB :D Did you take many different treats? I've only brought what we normally use for training with me (they are yummy ones though). Trying to work out if I need to go shopping in the morning. Did Steve bring much gear with him or did you mainly use your own? I have so many questions lol. And chairs!! I didn't bring any! Might have to buy one of those too :D

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep there was apparently a ticket in one of the original emails that needs to be printed.

Thanks for that :thumbsup:

I don't understand why they need a printed ticket but apparently they do. It would be one of the first ones you got after paying up, with a PDF attachment. My printer doesn't do colour so I hope a black and white one will keep them happy.

Thanks, mine will only be printed in black and white also.

So we just bring our ticket and our dog and our (borrowed!!) crate, and rock up at 9.30am on Saturday? Or are people getting there a little earlier or?

Oh I'm glad you're still coming cassie, was worried you might not be after you had to sell your one-on-one ticket! Which lovey fluffy are you bringing??

I'll try to get there a bit early to set up my borrowed crate :thumbsup:

Edited by Pete.the.dog

I'm getting there early to get lunch sorted out - am leaving home at 8

Trying to sort out how to fit

- 1 whiteboard

- lunch for 20 people

- 1 large crate

- 1 large bloodhound

into a Mazda 6 hatchback - Earl may well end up sitting in the front seat :thumbsup:

I'm getting there early to get lunch sorted out - am leaving home at 8

Trying to sort out how to fit

- 1 whiteboard

- lunch for 20 people

- 1 large crate

- 1 large bloodhound

into a Mazda 6 hatchback - Earl may well end up sitting in the front seat :thumbsup:

KHM if you want to PM me your location I may be able to come past and pick some stuff up?

SecretKei

I can bring a loan chair for you, if you let me (or Ness) know when, but a folded jumper, towel or thick newspaper would do. There is a bench chair big enough for everyone, it's just bloody cold.

treats - depends on your dog, but soft yummy ones would be best. And ones the dog doesn't get too often. Also bring the bestest toy, especially the tug sort. So for us, it was metwurst. I had roast chicken but we didn't need it. Fritz probably would have worked. We use bread cubed into little bits and roast beef for normal training. So these were uber treats. It helped that I'd been eating the metwurst and roast chicken and not sharing with her too. The ball on a string didn't work but Frosty decided for herself that a Kong wubba that had been retired for a long time was worth resurrecting.

Everybody

You won't need a chair on Saturday because we should have access to the clubrooms then.

It's definitely a good idea to rock up about 9am to get "registration" stuff sorted early and set up crates and stuff, so we can get straight into the good stuff at 9:30am. Steve didn't bring any helpers today, not sure if he will have any at all.

I plan to get there a bit earlier than that so we can do some laps around the footy oval and get Frosty emptied out. She saves up for the morning walks. And hopefully 8:30am will beat the Junior footy games (car park, what car park) if there are any. And I'd probably park on the East side car park on Saturday because that side is where the dog club is and the view/walk from the dog club is better for that car park. You can check it out with maps google satellite if you really want to get picky.

Thanks MRB :thumbsup:

Wishing I had brought a few more toys now too (though I did bring a few lol). I think I'll go to the shops tomorrow morning and get some extra treats too.

If there is a bench there I have a few cushions that I can bring so that should be okay ;)

Thanks MRB :thumbsup:

Wishing I had brought a few more toys now too (though I did bring a few lol). I think I'll go to the shops tomorrow morning and get some extra treats too.

If there is a bench there I have a few cushions that I can bring so that should be okay ;)

Steve has a bag full of toys, so I think he could find one that works if you don't have any.

Food worked so well with Frosty, we didn't spend a lot of time with toys.

She says VERY LOUDLY there is a cat outside and I should open the door to let her go get it. I can hear Steve in my head saying "don't do it..."

PS I made her sit before I opened the door.

PPS Looks like no home games for the footy club on Saturday. Not making promises there, but juniors seem to play on Sundays, Seniors have late starts, and as best I can tell, Mitchell Park Lions - are the away team this weekend. There's supposed to be a function for listing what games are on what date, but I can't get it to work.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

Oh I'm glad you're still coming cassie, was worried you might not be after you had to sell your one-on-one ticket! Which lovey fluffy are you bringing??

I'll try to get there a bit early to set up my borrowed crate :love:

Yeah sold my private lesson ticket but definitely still coming to the group workshop :love: I'm bringing Hudson the Saint, don't think you would have met him before. He's a pain around other dogs :love: Everyone I apologise in advance! Hope he doesn't act up too much.

I'm planning to get there around 8.30-9am too to set up my borrowed crate (thanks so much Bully!) and hopefully settle the monster a little bit. Going to be interesting fitting him and the huge crate in the back of my tiny car!

Can't wait will see you all there! :grouphug:

Have just dismembered several chickens - to the pitiful chorus of "Oh please let us in" from the backyard :mad

Just need to make the green salad and the fruit platter and all is in readiness :cry:

Just got back from our private consult with Steve. It went really well and got lots of helpful info from him and lots of demonstrations. Very happy and felt like it was definately worth the money. Can't wait for tomorrows workshop!

Cassie

When you say Hudson is a pain around other dogs...

Is he aggressive - wants to kill them?

Scared - wants to kill or run?

Overly friendly - will kill them with loving thumps around the head?

Something else?

Frosty can't help the aggressive kill all dog kind of dog, but she's great with the fear aggressive and the "as long as I'm boss" kind of dogs. And she copes fairly well with the overly friendly ones too.

I guess we find out tomorrow morning.

Kynan, glad it went so well for you.

Okay, well I think we are all ready for our consult at 3:30pm :p

MRB, I remember you said to park on a certain side of the club. Do you remember which street that is?

Oh and not Cassie but my dog is the 3rd type - the OMG, OMG!! Another dog, another DOG!! IM SO EXCITED!!! type :eek: Though he does read other dogs pretty well and tends to get the message when they tell him to bugger off lol.

Hi Secretkei

I don't think it's ok to put the address in here. Um. too bad if it is already.

maps.google.com.au

put in the first street and the suburb and south australia and it will show you the map. The side to be on is the beach side. For the private consult. And the other side for the saturday - I reckon though it won't matter much.

Cassie

When you say Hudson is a pain around other dogs...

Is he aggressive - wants to kill them?

Scared - wants to kill or run?

Overly friendly - will kill them with loving thumps around the head?

Something else?

Frosty can't help the aggressive kill all dog kind of dog, but she's great with the fear aggressive and the "as long as I'm boss" kind of dogs. And she copes fairly well with the overly friendly ones too.

I guess we find out tomorrow morning.

To be completely honest, I am not 100% sure. He is very dominant over my other dog (they get along fantastic though) but when we're walking and he sees other dogs he stiffens and it's hard to break his concentration from them. He'll bark but I'm unsure if it's an excited bark or an I-want-to-kill-it bark. Being a Saint Bernard he is STRONG!!! So I haven't wanted to get terribly close to other dogs (for everyone's safety) in order to work it out. He used to come to DOL meets and was fine, up until around maybe 8-9 months old when another dog had a go at him there and ever since he's been a little funny. He's generally better with smaller dogs than big dogs though.

Ah

I think Frosty would be ok. She'd be much faster and quick on the turns than a Saint Bernard if there was trouble. She's also a big groveller so any dog that wants to be boss, doesn't have to beat her up, she just offers it immediately.

We have had a problem with being roughly swatted and punched by a very friendly but rough playing mountain dog before. So she tends to keep her distance from those. We haven't met a Saint Bernard, but I think it would go a lot like the Deer hound did - zoomies. Mind you Deerhound was as fast as Frosty, if not faster, but couldn't turn the inside corners to keep up with her, and she used that to keep a safe distance. They did do some polite sniffing too. No wrestling though.

Will be interesting to see what Steve thinks about it.

Frosty got all excited and actually trembled when we saw the boxer come through, I didn't notice but Steve did, he was looking at her and I wasn't. But we've met that boxer before, not to mention it looks like one of her friends, so I think she wanted to go say hello and see if there as a play in it. I think that boxer pretty much ignored her last time after the greeting so maybe it was more she wanted to say hello to her friend (which it wasn't). It's funny how she can't tell her regular friends from dogs that just look like them from a distance.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

I'm planning to get there around 8.30-9am too to set up my borrowed crate (thanks so much Bully!) and hopefully settle the monster a little bit. Going to be interesting fitting him and the huge crate in the back of my tiny car!

Give him the front seat :laugh: