Parvo Question

Wuppywoman

Hi, a question about other breeders policy re Parvo.

I sold a 9 week old Lab pup which was transported by car to the family in Northern NSW. The pup was vaccinated at 6 weeks and had been on my property with the pups I am keeping. I dropped off the pup to head north on the Friday and they collected her on the saturday. On Wednesday arvo (last week) I got a call to say the pup looked sick so had been taken to the vet and a stool sample confirmed Parvo. It was implied the pup must have had it when I sold it. I have her sister, and two other pups under 12 weeks old here who had been in contact with the pup in question and at the time two litters on the ground under 3 weeks old. My vet assures me the Parvo has not come from here as in his opinion I would have other sick puppies due to the high infection rate. I disinfect my kennels daily after cleaning with a pressure cleaner and spray the puppy pens with disinfectant AND Virkon as I am paranoid about Parvo. I had Corona virus once but never Parvo and I don`t want it! The info on the net and from my vet is that symptoms can show 4 as little as 4 days from infection. My question is what is the policy of other breeders re Parvo after a pup has left their care. I am not in any way trying to get out of a refund if it is due but I don`t believe the pup had Parvo when it was sold. It is terribly upsetting to think of one of my babies lying in hospital so sick :laugh:

Oh wow tough one...dosnt sound as if its come from you but in the end its still a pup you bred. can you get a statement in writing from your vet? I vaccinated at 8 weeks rather then 6 now for this very reason, i too am paranoid :laugh:

Not sure what else you can do, I really hope that poor baby recovers :laugh: I hope you do too, such a shock :rofl:

Was it in a hired crate? They are generally not terribly well disinfected..

(I buy my crates of ebay in advance if i know they need to travel, charge what I pay (generally under $30) and disinfect majorly!)

Edited by Missymoo

Oh wow tough one...dosnt sound as if its come from you but in the end its still a pup you bred. can you get a statement in writing from your vet? I vaccinated at 8 weeks rather then 6 now for this very reason, i too am paranoid :laugh:

Not sure what else you can do, I really hope that poor baby recovers :laugh: I hope you do too, such a shock :rofl:

Was it in a hired crate? They are generally not terribly well disinfected..

(I buy my crates of ebay in advance if i know they need to travel, charge what I pay (generally under $30) and disinfect majorly!)

No it was not paid transport, a breeder friend transported the pup. I have heard alot of people are starting to do first vaccinatons at 8 weeks. I will look into it.

You might see if your vet can have a chat with their vet. If both vets agree that the pup was not infected at the time it left, I'd say you're off the hook with respect to responsibility. I think parvo does have an incubation period, and exact understanding of what happened during shipping may be required.

Eg, have other dogs been in the care that was used? Was the pup in a crate?

What a nightmare!

Hi, a question about other breeders policy re Parvo.

I sold a 9 week old Lab pup which was transported by car to the family in Northern NSW. The pup was vaccinated at 6 weeks and had been on my property with the pups I am keeping. I dropped off the pup to head north on the Friday and they collected her on the saturday. On Wednesday arvo (last week) I got a call to say the pup looked sick so had been taken to the vet and a stool sample confirmed Parvo. It was implied the pup must have had it when I sold it. I have her sister, and two other pups under 12 weeks old here who had been in contact with the pup in question and at the time two litters on the ground under 3 weeks old. My vet assures me the Parvo has not come from here as in his opinion I would have other sick puppies due to the high infection rate. I disinfect my kennels daily after cleaning with a pressure cleaner and spray the puppy pens with disinfectant AND Virkon as I am paranoid about Parvo. I had Corona virus once but never Parvo and I don`t want it! The info on the net and from my vet is that symptoms can show 4 as little as 4 days from infection. My question is what is the policy of other breeders re Parvo after a pup has left their care. I am not in any way trying to get out of a refund if it is due but I don`t believe the pup had Parvo when it was sold. It is terribly upsetting to think of one of my babies lying in hospital so sick :laugh:

My understanding is that the strains of parvo around have an incubation of 9-12 days, although I notice that many websites list the exposure to symptoms time frame as 3-10 days.

fifi

Edited by fifi

If the puppy was allowed out onto the ground to toilet on the journey north, it may have picked up the parvo in transit, or someone could have walked it in to the new owners home on the first day. If the parvo came from your property you would have other puppies with it as well.

As to what to do about liability, I have no idea. Have never heard of this happening before to anyone. Perhaps as a gesture of good will, not liability, you could offer to refund half the purchase price to cover vet bills?

If the puppy was allowed out onto the ground to toilet on the journey north, it may have picked up the parvo in transit, or someone could have walked it in to the new owners home on the first day. If the parvo came from your property you would have other puppies with it as well.

As to what to do about liability, I have no idea. Have never heard of this happening before to anyone. Perhaps as a gesture of good will, not liability, you could offer to refund half the purchase price to cover vet bills?

Yes I was thinking that. The pup was sold with Pet Plan insurance so I am not sure if it will be covered. I just found out half an hour ago that the pup died. I am devastated. I almost kept her as she was so nice but was already keeping one. I feel terrible that I have sent her away to her death. RIP little one.

How terribly sad, I do feel for you all. Nothing worse than losing a nice healthy pup, we all invest so much in them.

Incubation period, from my reading/listening, is 2 - 10 days. Sounds to me as if the pup picked it up en route or at the new home. If there was parvo at your place, the other pups (some, anyhow) would have it.

Maybe get your vet to talk to their vet? And I think PetPlan would have covered it - up to $3000, I believe.

I wont send my pups away on transport/planes any more, and after reading about rescues putting dogs straight from pounds onto interstate transport without any quarantine period, I never will.

Edited by Jed

Apparrently Pet Plan don`t cover for illness in the first 21 days of the policy. They haven`t said but the vet bill must be huge. I have told them I don`t accept any liability as the pup and pups she lived with are all fine and all my other dogs/pups and the pups of the friend who drove her up there have not gotten sick. My vet advised me not to refund however I really feel for the family, they didn`t let the pup get sick on purpose and they have a little boy with leukaemia so I have offered them a replacment pup in about 6 months when I have yellows next and provided they have their place disinfected and cleared by their vet. Just as a sign of good faith. It is so sad. The pup was perfect and I so very nearly kept her myself. I can`t help but think if I hadn`t sent her she`d still be alive. :mad I have been in dogs for 7 years approx and this is the first pup I know of that has died after going to their new home. I knew the day would come when someone woud ring and say their dog had died for whatever reason but I didn`t expect this. Poor little one. It is going to take me a while to get over this. I can`t stop thinking about it.

It's a horrible thing to have happen, Wuppywoman, I'd be devastated.

And it's a very nice thing to give them another pup. I would too. So difficult for them to lose their new pup, and not have the means to replace it, and I am sure they wouldn't.

I'm surprised at Petplan, must go and have another look at their site. I was sure it covered illness - but who knows, maybe somewhere in the fine print ......

and it often costs a lot to try to save pups with parvo, all that time in hospital, on drips etc.

good for you.

Wuppywoman, I know how you must be feeling. In the very first litter I bred, the owners came & picked up their puppy. He was healthy and happy. They lived a good days drive away. Rang to say they had arrived and all was well. Then just over 2 days later they rang to say the little guy had died from a tick. I was devastated! The new owners were very good about it, but did say their vet said it most likely picked the tick up from my place. Who knows, that could have been the case, or it could have picked up the tick along the way on toilet stops.

I felt I had to replace the puppy of course, it was just fortunate that I had kept a few to run on from that litter, so sent them a puppy, a different colour to the original but they didn't mind. They were very pleased and even got another pup from me a few years later as a mate to the first. We kept a good relationship which I think was very important.

I do feel for you though, as we put in so much effort, time & love into the litter and it is devastating when something happens to one of our babies.

Re-check with Petplan. if it was the 6 weeks free breeder's insurance that you took out I am almost certain up to $3000 in vet's bills are covered and also the cost of the pup if it should die.

You are very kind in offering another pup.

Just a hint- when you have your next litter of pups and take them to be vaccinated etc and you have buyers for them take them to see your Vet the day before they go to new homes and ask Vet to give a written report stating the health status of pup at vaccination time and the day before pup goes to a new home. I know of quite a few breeders who do that these days.

Edited by InspectorRex

How tragic. Poor everyone.

I agree on trying again with Petplan. If they are offering six weeks free insurance, but no coverage for the first three weeks, they're being pretty deceptive . .. and perhaps the pro-Petplan position taken by many on this forum should be reconsidered.

sorry for the loss of the pup but can I ask why the pup wasn't vaccinated again at 8 weeks? Cause I thought that if you vaccinated at 6 weeks you then did them again at 8 weeks, then 12 weeks? I thought that's what happened some (many) years ago when I bought a pup that had been vaccinated at 6 weeks. I give mine their 1st vacc at 8 weeks so am not sure of the protocol

sorry for the loss of the pup but can I ask why the pup wasn't vaccinated again at 8 weeks? Cause I thought that if you vaccinated at 6 weeks you then did them again at 8 weeks, then 12 weeks? I thought that's what happened some (many) years ago when I bought a pup that had been vaccinated at 6 weeks. I give mine their 1st vacc at 8 weeks so am not sure of the protocol

Hi. My vet vaccinates at 6, 10 and 14 weeks. I have been hearing of many different protocols and will be investigating all options as to which provides the best cover. The family have taken my offer of another pup but their vet says they can`t have a pup before 2 weeks after the third shot for 5 years on their property so I have also offered to run the pup on to 16 weeks for them to be safe.

• 4 weeks later...