Maximum Price For Desexing

centitout

I recently heard of a clinic that offered gold, silver and bronze options for desexing. The gold i think included iv fluids and bloods (and was about $500) Silver included bloods only and bronze was just the surgery itself. What a guilt trip!

I think bloods and i/v fluids for desexing is a complete money making scam. JMHO :rofl:

I think that there are minimum standards of care, and different clinics have different minimum standards.

If I ever heard one of my nurses tell a client that even fluids were a waste of money, they would get a swift kick in the behind. Add to that if they could not explain to me why they were a good idea, they would be finding out in a hurry before I kicked them (figuratively speaking) again.

All of our surgical patients have a basic PCV / TPP and electrolytes done prior to surgery, regardless of the owners choice (and it is a choice, and an informed one for desexing) of whether to do pre-anaesthetic blood tests (which are available to every patient). All surgical patients go on IV fluids. All patients receive post operative pain relief appropriate to their needs.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that there are minimum standards of care, and different clinics have different minimum standards.

This is very true. And I think, especially as a nurse, that you tend sway toward what is done around you.

Having said that, I worked at a clinic prior to this one where i was to offer and encourage bloods prior to desexings.. but when i had my own pug done there the vets laughed and said "he's a perfectly healthy young dog, you don't really need to get it done, but it's up to you.."

I got them done. He was a perfectly healthy young dog. Unfortunately even at cost price to have these bloods done on the special card it cost me a heap. I felt guilty encouraging this to clients when i knew even the vets working around me thought it was a waste of time.

:rofl:

Edited by Bindii

This is very true. And I think, especially as a nurse, that you tend sway toward what is done around you.

Having said that, I worked at a clinic prior to this one where i was to offer and encourage bloods prior to desexings.. but when i had my own pug done there the vets laughed and said "he's a perfectly healthy young dog, you don't really need to get it done, but it's up to you.."

I got them done. He was a perfectly healthy young dog. Unfortunately even at cost price to have these bloods done on the special card it cost me a heap. I felt guilty encouraging this to clients when i knew even the vets working around me thought it was a waste of time.

:rofl:

I do a wellness profile on my own dogs annually, to make sure everything IS normal.

If you read any medical textbook, the minimum database listed for an unwell animal is a complete blood count, biochemistry and urinalysis. It's easy to scoff at that and say it's overkill, but it's obtaining baseline information. The fact that the results might all be normal does not mean the test were not useful.

We might not "need" the whole panel for a healthy anaesthesia, but my minimum database is a PCV / TPP and electrolytes. I always discuss pre-anaesthetic testing for any surgical patient (and also for any patient on long term medication including NSAIDs), I strongly recommend for those over 7 and I don't negotiate at all for any patient that I think is not quite right.

I've seen enough zebras and found enough strange things to believe that decision making based on information is a good thing.

I do understand where you're coming from.. I just find it odd that I did not even have a blood test when i had my tonsils removed at 17 years old... Is it different in human medicine?

Human patients talk (which is why I'm not a human doctor :rofl: ).

Human patients go through all their life stages in 70+ years.

A dog or cat is "senior" by 7 and "geriatric" at 15 years.

I'm sure there is a statistical and financial reason that blood work is not routine. I would imagine that with all the thousands of people who have a GA that statistically the % of people who have a complication is very very small. However, we tend to work with a limited history of generally poor accuracy and patients who eat their own poo so I'm willing to accept a few differences :eek: .

I do understand where you're coming from.. I just find it odd that I did not even have a blood test when i had my tonsils removed at 17 years old... Is it different in human medicine?

No I think it's done a lot more these days, I'm not sure what the cut-off age is but I had bloods done for day surgery 2 years ago. Recently I had some vague virus symptoms and the doc ordered full bloods plus a few other things. :eek:

I agree you find some curlys once in a while with pre-an testing, mostly liver shunts and it's nice to know about it before you knock the dog out. We don't anaesthetise any dog over 8 years without a full blod profile as a rule.

If I could only do one I would probably choose fluids, but if I'm paying for setup the dog may as well stay on maintenance fluids until I pick it up.

If you think gown/cap/gloves are a live or die necessity then don't click on the amrric link in my sig and see what I'll be doing for the next 2 weeks. You'll have nightmares of the red dirt, work outdoors, flies, ticks, dirt, scabies and flea kind!! :( :p Btw we do wear gloves, mostly to protect ourselves against contact with TVTs. :rofl:

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

I chose not to have bloods done when desexing - but only cause I work in a path lab that does some dogs/horses and I know that the prices they charge are a bit hefty! Having said that, if my dog had displayed any signs of unwellness prior to desexing then I would have paid the money to make sure I wasn't putting them at risk with the anaesthetic before I booked them in.

My vet asked if I wanted IV fluids and I inquired whether this would make him feel better when he woke up. She said no and that she really only recommended it for older dogs who were unwell and undergoing surgery. The price could have potentially been over $300 but without all the extras it was $205 for a 20kg male dog. I wasn't worried about the money but it just didn't seem necessary. He was bouncing around when I picked him up so all was good :eek:

You are very generous centitout with your desexing policy - world would be a better place with more breeders like you who encourage desexing of pets. I guess without a cap on it though some people will always take advantage of your generosity. I guess it's a bit like how people will order whatever they want from the menu if someone else is paying :rofl:

I would definitely be requesting an itemised account - just in case they threw in a few extras!!! :(

I spoke to the owners,and they just thought that was normal price,but are happy to get $300(couldnt give them any more anyway :) ).I didnt realise some vets charge like a general surgery-i've never heard of desexing being that dear,but saying that,my vets only charge around $800 for something big-hit by car,spleen removal and 4-5 hrs in surgery sewing everything back together-I so love my vets right now :D

And they also never advocate bloods or fluids for healthy ,young dogs.Anything that is poor,old or pre existing condition though is given fluids/testing.

It does sound alot, but it is probably around what desexing should actually cost. Desexings are hugely discounted and so now people expect to get it done as cheap as possible. If they werent discounted so much, maybe I would get paid more :D

Now.. I would ring up and see exactly what was included in the invoice. You will probably find pre anaesthetic bloods were done, IVF were done and possibly if the bitch was coming into season, some clinics will charge extra as it becomes a more difficult/risky surgery. Hope you work out a compromise with your puppy buyers! :D

Hey, can you hold the IVF please :) the bitch is not coming in for fertility treatment !!!!!

Crikey no wonder desexing is getting to be so expensive ..... :D

Souff

Just checked my Vet account: $180 for an adult GSD bitch -26kgs. Our local Council has a desexing Voucher system - $60.00 for BItches $40 for dogs.

This included the preliminary blood test for Body Profile as well.

There is a huge difference between having your tonsils removed and a full spey.

Where I go all dogs get fluids inclusive of cost . PAP is extra and usually recommended for older pets only(7+). IMO fluids gives the dogs a better recovery in the large breeds.

Back to the OP, I think the cost your puppy buyers paid is outrageous. I had my 6yr old Saint Bernard bitch done in season, fluids, PAP etc and it was around the $500 mark. This was at a top clinic, affluent area etc etc.

I just had my two dogs and cat desexed, that was one spay and two castrations. $456.00 all up. That also included microchipping the cat and pre-anaesthic blood test for bitch. Pretty good I reckon. I must tell them how good they are. :)

After telling them how much others have paid-they are going to query the cost when they take her to have the stiches out.

One of the things was "internal stitches" ?????

All animals have both internal stitches(Visorb) and external ones(supramid) so i cant see any thing in that to warrant the price difference?

As i explained,i cant give some owners $250-300,and others nearly $600 because they went to a more pricey vet!

Well, obviously it depends on the area the vet clinic is located in...

If they have higher rental costs and have to pay higher salaries to staff, of course everything will be more expensive.

Also, as other people mentioned it also depends on if there are complications, if the animals receives fluids and pre aneaesthetic testing.

I know that if I drive to a clinic 1hr away from where I live or go to a country/mixed practice I could probably get the same things done for one third to half the cost, but I choose convience (all vet clinics in my area charge around the same) and know that I am getting a good quality of service and see vets who actually know the history of my pet. I know there are some clinics out there that are cheap and provide a great quality of service, but unfortunately in some areas, this is just not going to happen. ever.

I haven't read all the replies, I have a Pug and I was quoted $190 for desexing my female. I think its an extra $35 if I want her to have fluids during the op, this helps with recovery and I always get this added.

As to the OP quote ;) this was the price my daughter was quoted for both her Aussie Terriers + microchipping + vaccinations.....so :eek:

BF

There is a huge difference between having your tonsils removed and a full spey.

Um. No there is not. The testing is done for the general anaesthetic, not the extent of the surgery. It's testing how the body will cope with the anaesthetic. I had a general anaesthetic, so do the pets that go in for desexing. What i'm saying is that dogs with liver/kidney issues would be presenting this in other ways... Some have come on here and said that they have picked up on medical issues that had not yet been noticed... I question how common this is because generally ill pets (with severe problems such as liver shunts) are very obviously not developing properly and are usually in the clinic for that before the owners even think about desexing.

I was severly sick after suffering chronic tonsilitis for 6 months before they agreed that I should have them removed (anyone who has tonsilitis knows that it is not just a matter of having a 'sore throat') technically the infection could have spread and i could have been much more unwell than what it appeared on the surface - but event then i did not have bloods done. I did, however, have i/v fluids (because i was unwell, as i would expect for an unwell pet having surgery) Not one person i speak to that goes in for day surgery (under GA!) has blood tests. Healthy people that go under GA for dental work don't have i/v fluids (of the people i have asked).

You can believe that it's all necassary if it makes you feel better about having your pet go under for desexing, but i don't believe it is.

Edited by Bindii

WA is said to stand for 'wait awhile' but it also stands for pay a lot. Everybody overcharges around here. Gripe gripe gripe grump grump grump.

34 kg female spey at my vets(without my discount if i do the vet nursing) $260.Just rang them as it has been a few months.

Absoloutely disagree that IVF is a waste of time. We definately recommend both bloods and IVF.

Bloods - not all animals who are in early stages of renal/liver failure will be showing clinical symptoms. Approx 2/3 of the kidney will be non functioning before the animal really shows signs visible to us. Not sure about the liver. I think doing pre an bloods is best practice and it should be offered and let the clients know exactly what we get from them.

IVF is so critical. Anaesthetics that we use (Iso in particular) often cause a drop in blood pressure, if the animals blood pressure drops during surgery we can give a bolus or up the fluid rate to counteract that.

I think it was something like an animal only has to have low blood pressure for 20-30 minutes to cause damage to organs (kidneys in particular). Cant remember why, but my vet has gone through this with me when I started there as she wants to ensure all her nurses understand the importance of IVF.

I think it is really poor practice that a clinic wouldnt recommend fluids for any animal, regardless of age/health status.

Vet clinics should be offering their clients everything they have available to them. I actually think it should be compulsory for all animals having surgery to be on fluids :grouphug: