Desexing Pup Under 6 Months

W Sibs

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't remember where you live, CW. :)

However, see the thread about asking for a vet in the Hornsby area. Several suggestions including a vet at Epping which may be closer to you.

I'm pretty sure Animal Tracks at Homebush would desex.

Concord Animal Hospital opposite the West Concord train station.

I can't remember where you live, CW. :)

However, see the thread about asking for a vet in the Hornsby area. Several suggestions including a vet at Epping which may be closer to you.

I'm pretty sure Animal Tracks at Homebush would desex.

Concord Animal Hospital opposite the West Concord train station.

MM, Thanks!!!

I use to live in Newington and now I live in Ryde.

Concord and Homebush is very near me!

Some vet clinic won't desex puppies before the age of 6 months.

Mine wont,and i dont like having them done that early,but after seeing that hound that they pts the other day that i rescued,they are changing their minds.I am seriously considering getting all pet girls done at 12 weeks,and sending them off 2 weeks later.

I have had 2 boys done at 12 weeks,didnt even need stitches,grew to the same height,weight and musculature as the others done at 8 mths+.

Is there any reason you want it done that young?

We don't do it, not unless there's a significant reason and I think most clinics would probably be the same. It's not that they're not confident in their abilities, but just that I think a lot of vets aren't that happy about anaesthetising and doing what we would consider big surgery on such a young animal. The younger and smaller they are, the higher the risks involved.

You might like to contemplate why CW.

I totally understand why they won't, and I respect that :D

Why do you want the puppy done before the age of 5 months CW? Not having a dig at all, I'm just curious :D

It's all good. I know and understand everyone view on desexing puppies at young age :D

If I decide to get a puppy this weekend, it's part of the agreement I have with the breeder to have the pup desex before 6 months. 5 months the latest. I respect her wishes and understand where she is coming from. This pup's mum came into season earlier then some too.

Also, I don't feel comfortable in my new area with a lot of dogs around to have a pup in heat. Although my house and yard is as secure as they come, I've seen dogs do incredible things to get to a bitch in heat!! I also have a desexed male dog at home who also goes funny over a female dog in heat.. and he is DESEXED!!!

I seriously do not want accidents.

I'm just planning ahead and working things out :)

You might like to contemplate why CW.

I totally understand why they won't, and I respect that :D

Why do you want the puppy done before the age of 5 months CW? Not having a dig at all, I'm just curious :D

It's all good. I know and understand everyone view on desexing puppies at young age :D

If I decide to get a puppy this weekend, it's part of the agreement I have with the breeder to have the pup desex before 6 months. 5 months the latest. I respect her wishes and understand where she is coming from. This pup's mum came into season earlier then some too.

Also, I don't feel comfortable in my new area with a lot of dogs around to have a pup in heat. Although my house and yard is as secure as they come, I've seen dogs do incredible things to get to a bitch in heat!! I also have a desexed male dog at home who also goes funny over a female dog in heat.. and he is DESEXED!!!

I seriously do not want accidents.

I'm just planning ahead and working things out :)

Thats great you have this attitude and the breeder is desexing. I will desex ALL my Xolos before they leave me at 12 weeks, others will be owned or on co ownership.

My breeder desexes all of hers that are not for breeding at 8 weeks and has had no problems.

:happydance:

Okay, fair enough :)

Perhaps pick your vet first (one that you are entirely comfortable with) and see what they have to say. If your chosen vet wont desex at 5 months then have them explain why and then take it up with your breeder.

My contract said that my boy needed to be desexed between 9 and 15 months but after a lot of thought I decided that I wanted to leave it longer than that. I had a good chat to his breeder about it, explained my reasons and she was/is more than happy to let me keep him entire for the time being.

If you have a decent relationship with your pups breeder I'm sure she will have no problems with you getting her desexed at 6 months rather than 5, it probably wont make a major difference anyway. Though I can understand your reasoning about not wanting to deal with a dog in season.

Oh, and good luck with meeting the puppy this weekend! I hope it all works out for you :D

Did you ask gladesville vets?

They are my usual vet!! I had a talk with them and they usually won't desex before 6 months. But, if I do decide to get this pup.. then I will go in and have a chat with them more about it and explain the situation.

Okay, fair enough :)

Perhaps pick your vet first (one that you are entirely comfortable with) and see what they have to say. If your chosen vet wont desex at 5 months then have them explain why and then take it up with your breeder.

My contract said that my boy needed to be desexed between 9 and 15 months but after a lot of thought I decided that I wanted to leave it longer than that. I had a good chat to his breeder about it, explained my reasons and she was/is more than happy to let me keep him entire for the time being.

If you have a decent relationship with your pups breeder I'm sure she will have no problems with you getting her desexed at 6 months rather than 5, it probably wont make a major difference anyway. Though I can understand your reasoning about not wanting to deal with a dog in season.

Oh, and good luck with meeting the puppy this weekend! I hope it all works out for you :D

Given that Jap Spitz are sought by puppy farmers, I completely understand your breeders concerns CW.

Secret Kei's advice is very good. You might also suggest to you breeder that she could remain a co-owner of your girl or withold her papers until proof of desexing is provided. :)

You might also suggest to you breeder that she could remain a co-owner of your girl or withold her papers until proof of desexing is provided. :)

There is no way I would ever agree to that. Too many things can go wrong.

Given that Jap Spitz are sought by puppy farmers, I completely understand your breeders concerns CW.

Secret Kei's advice is very good. You might also suggest to you breeder that she could remain a co-owner of your girl or withold her papers until proof of desexing is provided. :D

Me too! When I told people that I was planning to get a Japanese Spitz, they asked me straight away if I was breeding her!! (after they googled what a Japanese Spitz was!). Kinda got me nervous.

She rarely sells her pup undesexed, but she likes me :) and said that the puppy is on hold till I come and see her on the weekend, and decide if she will be right for my family. If so, I will be signing a contract saying I will get her desex no later than 5 months and she is holding onto the papers till I get the puppy desexed (and give her proof that she has been desexed) :D

You might also suggest to you breeder that she could remain a co-owner of your girl or withold her papers until proof of desexing is provided. ;)

There is no way I would ever agree to that. Too many things can go wrong.

I know.

But, I was going to get her desex anyway. I have no interested in breeding or showing her.

I would want to get my pup desex before she gets her first period too (seriously, i don't want to deal with a female dog on heat). I've talked to some vets about desexing pup early and they assured me that it doesn't change or effect the dog in anyway.