Some Judges "why"

Dlanigervon

Iv'e noticed it starting to happen more and more, you enter the ring, You're the only one in your class and before you have set or stacked your dog (which ever you prefer) and you are part way through the stacking, the Judge has come up and is handling (usually mouthing) your dog, all of a sudden you're in their way or visa versa. Is it fair to the dog?, Is it fair to you? Surely they can wait an extra (15) seconds or so?. Or is it an indication that they don't have any tolerance for your breed.

I get peeverd off and realy feel like saying something, like, "At least give us a chance to set up" Would that be unethical?

Has it happened to you?, if so how do you feel about the situation?.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has happened to me numerous times, particularly lately... i barely get the dog stacked before the judge is walking up to examine the head... and I do not stack slowly either, but i do not feel i should HAVE to rush.

I have found with the OES i am given more consideration, which is funny because you can bank LESS on seeing the stacked outline of an OES than in my other breed.

Sometimes they've seen enough on the move already or they want to go over the dog as it pulled up naturally rather than as placed by you.

I don't have a problem with it providing the actual examination of the dog isn't a pat on the head and pat on the bum. There's a difference between moving in quickly to examine the dog and being perfunctory.

Iv'e noticed it starting to happen more and more, you enter the ring, You're the only one in your class and before you have set or stacked your dog (which ever you prefer) and you are part way through the stacking, the Judge has come up and is handling (usually mouthing) your dog, all of a sudden you're in their way or visa versa. Is it fair to the dog?, Is it fair to you? Surely they can wait an extra (15) seconds or so?. Or is it an indication that they don't have any tolerance for your breed.

I get peeverd off and realy feel like saying something, like, "At least give us a chance to set up" Would that be unethical?

Sorry but if it's taking you 15 seconds to stack your dog, you are taking wayyyyyy too long. I put my dog on the table, sometimes have to straighten the front legs but usually only have to move 1 of the back legs into place. Lucky if it takes me 3 seconds to stack my bitch.

Yes, there is the occasional Judge who doesn't really seem interested in my breed but I just add them to my little black book :provoke:

This has happened to me numerous times, particularly lately... i barely get the dog stacked before the judge is walking up to examine the head... and I do not stack slowly either, but i do not feel i should HAVE to rush.

I have found with the OES i am given more consideration, which is funny because you can bank LESS on seeing the stacked outline of an OES than in my other breed.

Funny you should say that. I find I get given more time to stack my Havanese than I do with my Schipperke.....

I have had it happen quite a lot but have learnt to fix up back legs if needed while the judge is going over the dog's head. I don't mind it with my kelpie but with my Lappy boy it can make him back off from the judge big time if they rush up on him. But we cope. ETA: we have actually had a string of judges who don't even wait for the dog to stop before they have their hands on them :provoke:

Table breeds have it much easier in that respect ROFL.

Edited by mirawee

I tend t free stack my dogs but I always try and checlK that they are square and fix the lead- this let's them know the judges are comming and all up takes about three seconds.

A few times now I have pulled up and had the judge reach out to check them while the dog it still comming to a halt!!! This usually ends up with the judge scoring a sloppy wet kiss! It does annoy me when they are this quick to dive in. I have no problem if they have given me about 5 sec to check the dog- about the time for them to walk about 6 steps from where they have observed the dog to where I have stacked it!!

Edited by woofenpup

I actually don't mind at all. Years ago a judge was expected to get through a dog a minute. These days they manage about 30-40 an hour. If a judge has to wait for every exhibitor to finish stacking their dog, there'll be more shows finishing later and later. As mentioned in a earlier post, an experienced judge can see the dog on the move and then confirm by putting their hands on the dog. They don't really need to see the dog stacked to judge it.

Funny that this topic has come up, as most of the Tassie listers know that this is a real bugbear of mine at the moment :laugh: .

Im really sick of judges, who wont give you the time to set up your dog. Down here we have a max of 400ish dogs at each show, (and often even less) and usually, (not always, though), 3 or 4 judges. There are no real time constraints on them, compared to numbers of dogs being judged in other states...

I have a tabled dog, and Im sorry, BUT, what I have found is that the tabled dogs are pounced on, LONG before the dogs are even remotely stacked. Many, many times recently, the dog is barely on the table, before the judge is already looking at teeth. No feet have even had a chance of being set up. Infuriating :( . The first impression my judge has of my dog, is with legs all over the place, topline gone etc, etc...

A recent classic example of this was showing at a Royal, and the O/S judge was sitting ON the table. Yes, on it. As I ran up to the table, I stupidly assumed he would move his toosh, but, NO, he didnt at all :provoke: . I stood there with my Baby bitch in my arms, at her first show ever, waiting for him to move... He then pointed to the table, meaning, 'put your dog there, so I can examine her please" , He had no English, so all his requests were done with a pointed finger. He actually examined her while continuing to sit on the table. I certainly wasnt the only one, nor the only breed that he did that to, either... Im sorry I find that sort of behavior totally unacceptable. I wonder what would happen, if any Aussie judge did that, what would happen/be said/action taken/walkout of exibitors etc. Extra allowances being made for the O/S judges methinks. I nearly withdrew my dogs, but decided to give them the chance. They were all fine, if not a touch bemused...

While I am in a 'picking on judges' mood, another gripe of mine, is judges, usually the older ones with declining mobility, (no, Im not bitching about our older generation), who seem to think its a good idea to straddle some breeds of working dogs, whilst assessing their fronts. yep, straddling them... Couldnt believe that one, and it happened at 2 shows in very short amount of time ,too. Methinks they might just lose some goolies, if that continues on :) .

Rant over and flame gear on :dunce: .

I find this all the time. As soon as I have put my dog on the table, the judge starts going over them, while I am still setting the dog up. They wait for other, more confident exhibitors though :provoke:

Happened frequently when I was exhibiting a rare breed, often when the dog hadn't even been moved, so the judge hadn't 'seen' her yet. 99% of the time she was the only one of her breed exhibited at the show. I found it a good indication that the judge did not care for or know the breed well. I would just continue to place the dog while they were going over her, the dog didn't mind. The breeds I've shown with more of the breed entered or usually exhibited generally seem to be given more time, I think perhaps because the judge needs to actually compare them to other exhibits, or their knowledge/ideal of the breed??

Edited by FHRP

I doesn't bother me or the dogs. Mine all walk into the stalk, have their heads collected and one front foot adjusted before the judge gets to them. They can be going over the front end of the dog and I can place the back at the same time.

I agree with this although i would prefer judges to be a tad more thoughtful .

The worse offenders judge wise are often the ones who whinge the most when its done to them ,go figure :provoke: