Trouble Giving Tablets?

bridie

I quite often have a pup or dog who just detests my putting a tablet in their mouth,but the other day I crushed the tablet fine as possible and rolled it in Liverwurst to a small ball,they all took the bait like a treat,very good out-come.Liverwurst can be purchased in most super markets in a small roll under $3.00 where all the packets of small goods are kept.

Edited by bridie

I quite often have a pup or dog who just detests my putting a tablet in their mouth,but the other day I crushed the tablet fine as possible and rolled it in Liverwurst to a small ball,they all took the bait like a treat,very good out-come.Liverwurst can be purchased in most super markets in a small roll under $3.00 where all the packets of small goods are kept.

There is a company in the US called Capsuline which makes gelatin capsules for dogs/cats in chicken, beef and bacon flavours, in several different sizes. I ordered some chicken-flavoured caps last year when my cat Tigger was diagnosed with small-cell lymphoma of the stomach lining and was on a number of medications - I was able to cram all of his meds into a single capsule to give him. He is very easy to pill, but I wanted to reduce the number of pills I had to force down him, in order to minimise stress. My vet here had never heard of these capsules, and was pretty impressed. The company also sent me a sample of the beef flavour, as well.

(Tigger is doing very well, by the way - totally asymptomatic now!)

I find tablets simple - i buy the 97% fat free Hans hot dogs and cut a small section off and stuff the tablet in - dog thinks it is a treat - Easy :laugh:

Even though I am a strict BARF feeder - this little treat is like the junk food for the day & sadly they love it - like a kid with Maccas LOL

Mind you my bitch will eat any tablet without the need for a hot dog wrapping - eats all her salmon oil & even the glucosamines - Love Her - So Easy! :love:

I like the sound of the flavoured gel caps - that is a cool concept.

A word of warning when crushing tablets!!

Some tablets (usually the ones with a shiny smooth coating) are designed to release their medication after a certain time ,at a certain place,in the gut.

Crushing changes all this, and medication may irritate the stomach, be released too quickly, or be released somewhere it is not able to be absorbed correctly!

Please check if crushing is ok for any tablets :laugh:

A word of warning when crushing tablets!!

Some tablets (usually the ones with a shiny smooth coating) are designed to release their medication after a certain time ,at a certain place,in the gut.

Crushing changes all this, and medication may irritate the stomach, be released too quickly, or be released somewhere it is not able to be absorbed correctly!

Please check if crushing is ok for any tablets :D

Taken this long and now OMG! I will check,It was Drontal

chuck them down their throat...whether they like it or not.

Same here :birthday:

I have trouble getting past their teeth,:thumbsup: :laugh:never mind the throat

Only litte Chis' too but their teeth are sharp

Edited by bridie

If I'm giving my girl sentinel tablets (which are large), I cut them into quarters and put them with her meal, or if it's a smaller tablet, I put a bit of peanut butter on it (the raw stuff, not the processed/commercial kind). Down the hatch without a moment's hesitation.

ive always just opened the mouth, dropped it down and give the throat a bit of a rub. easiest way.

Mostly this is how I've done it over the years,but this 3 month old pup last week,well....I just couldn't prise open her mouth & when I did her teeth came down on my finger,every now and then there will be a very determined difficult one.

Edited by bridie

Put the tablet in some Philly cheese. Give some Philly without the tablet so the dog thinks it's a treat and will happily take the next one with the tablet in it.

Thanks all of you.

I was probably not fast enough getting my finger out.

I'm always checking out puppies mouths,you know how they can change so I try keep an eye on them.

There are pill poppers you can use. They help get the tablet further down the mouth. I always give a treat after or syringe some water in the mouth.

I am surprised your dog doesn't like drontal? most dogs find them very tasty? Although are you using the chew or the tablet form?

I HATE the new sentinel "tasty" chew. Most dogs do not find it remotely tasty and chew it into a mush and then spit it out, yucky.

Its also too big to shove down their throuat.