Feeling Sad

Sounds like your just not a dog person. Stick with cats.

That's a bit rude, a full on teenage Wei is not for everyone.

Finding the dog that is suitable is all that is needed.

I dont know about that... I'd probably be pretty defensive if it was my breed too. The dog is only behaving exactly the way you would expect a dog of that breed and age to act. The OP made a mistake in choosing a Wei (or any large breed, high energy dog) if she cannot/does not want to deal with that kind of behaviour. But no point in flaming now, the deed is done, she is returning the dog and I think she has learnt her lesson too.

I disagree, just because one individual of a breed does not suit a situation does not mean the OP shouldn't have a dog.

This dog also sounds as if it has not had a lot of groundwork put into it before the OP took it on, if it had it could well have been much more suitable.

I agree with that, the dog sounds as if he has had very little groundwork. The dog then becomes a double handful for someone else.

A lesson which should be learned by everyone is that taking on a juvenile dog of a larger breed, from rescue means the dog is probably going to need extensive work, particularly if it is over 10 months old but not mature.

That's the lesson, not that there is any fault with the op. An out of control dog is a problem with little kids. Fact of life.

It is extremely difficult to obtain a well trained dog of this age from rescue, because it is only rarely that owners surrender them if they are perfectly behaved. So, what you are getting is a dog which has problems, and which is going to have more slotting into a new and different home and lifestyle. It is suffering grief and loss because it doesn't have its old home, it has a whole new routine, rules, people to learn, and if the behaviour wasn't excellent to begin with, these problems are combined with an urgent need for the dog to be trained.

A big ask, imho.

I agree Jed, I see too many of my own beloved breed being rehomed between the ages of 10mths to 2yrs by which stage they have become a real handful and relegated to the backyard with minimal contact from the family, as the owners haven't put in the required work and training to manage these youngsters and meet their needs from an early age. When adopting a youngster who more than likely will come with a troubled past, due to the previous owners neglect in many areas of the dog's life, there has to be a real commitment from the new owner to provide the required training and work hard to meet the needs of their new youngster to ensure they develop into a happy and well adjusted adult.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for my comment but it's just so common for people that don't know how to dicipline their dogs or set propper boundries end up choosing a pretty looking, silver dog MOST of the time because they love the colour and look of the dog and totally disregard people's advice when they say it will be a lot of work as they are highly active and need firm leadership.

Allow me to change my comment, "Weimaraner's are not for everyone (as are other high energy dogs like dobermans, gsp's etc). Stick with low energy dogs or cats".

Sorry for my comment but it's just so common for people that don't know how to dicipline their dogs or set propper boundries end up choosing a pretty looking, silver dog MOST of the time because they love the colour and look of the dog and totally disregard people's advice when they say it will be a lot of work as they are highly active and need firm leadership.

Allow me to change my comment, "Weimaraner's are not for everyone (as are other high energy dogs like dobermans, gsp's etc). Stick with low energy dogs or cats".

Well said!

I bought my older boy (now 16 months) from his Breeder when he was 12 months. He had been intended for showing and had not taken to it, he had had one failed placing (was there 24 hours) with a person who had a severe allergic reaction to him and was hospitalized. As a result, D'Artagnan (Tagnan) was timid and shy and not a-typical of the Cavalier King Charles Breed. The Breeder knew we wanted 2 puppies but had decided to purchase 1 at time...so she suggested we meet Tagnan and see what he acted like around us.

Although he was shy at first, he did take to my husband almost immediately (who is also shy :D ) at the first meeting. We picked him up 2 weeks later and my husband had a week off work with him. Tagnan has since bonded with me and is very much a "Mummy's" boy ;)

The breeder said to give it a month as it would take time for us all to develop a routine and for him to feel at home. She said she would take him back off of us and refund us, should it not be working. Although within a week he had settled, it did take the best part of the month for us all to develop into a comfortable pattern and for Tagnan to strut around like he owned the place.

If think that if the Wei is too much for your family, then you should return him, however 1 week is not long enough for you to see the Dogs true nature or to develop a routine that works for you.

Good Luck :mad

Susan

I dont know about that... I'd probably be pretty defensive if it was my breed too. The dog is only behaving exactly the way you would expect a dog of that breed and age to act. The OP made a mistake in choosing a Wei (or any large breed, high energy dog) if she cannot/does not want to deal with that kind of behaviour. But no point in flaming now, the deed is done, she is returning the dog and I think she has learnt her lesson too.

I disagree, just because one individual of a breed does not suit a situation does not mean the OP shouldn't have a dog.

This dog also sounds as if it has not had a lot of groundwork put into it before the OP took it on, if it had it could well have been much more suitable.

head to the wei forum & read there

I am very sorry to read about Hank :D However I think you are making the right decision. I think you knew that Hank was not going to be right for your family at least at this stage...

Weims can be very clumsy and distracted, and often forget where they are running or when to mind their manners. A LOT of work needs to be put in, in order for a wei to learn boundaries and unless you are prepared for mishaps from the start, it's not the best situation to put a family, or a dog, into. I have seen a wei bitch floor my 48kg mum because she wasn't looking where she was going and crashed into her... and she was trained and very well behaved.

Even a much older wei still has a lot of energy... if you are set on a wei, assess each one very carefully if they come up for adoption, or simply look at other breeds which are more appropriate for your family.

VA,

Don't pay any attention to negative or hurtful or judgemental posts. You are making the best decision for your family, because you love your kids. You are putting your kids needs first, and you have every right to be very very very fussy about your new dog. You HAVE to be fussy and get it right. After all (at risk of getting shot down here), KIDS ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN DOGS. Glad to see you have your priorities straight. Dogs can be a wonderful addition to the family, and the right dog will fill it with little kids - but it has to be the right dog, and you can't afford allowing the dog a month or so of knocking your baby flying while he settles in. It has to be spot on from day one or it is not worth doing. I understand. I know this is a big ask of any dog that you bring into your home, but I also know that it is achievable. Good on you putting the kids first. There certainly seem to be people on this forum who don't understand that as a value. I'm sure you are able to give an excellent forever home to the right dog, but you need an excellent forever dog too. Start by stacking the cards in your favour and keeping away from any rescue with problem behaviour / lack of training / under three years of age. Consider also a puppy - definetely won't be well behaved from day one but at least you'll get the fun part of puppyhood, and be able to put in that all important early training yourself to hopefully end up with a less difficult teenager.

Every dog has its own characteristics within the standard breed temperament. My White GSD was older pup, but I knew her history. She is a very placid bombproof girl who can manage excitable or unpredictable situations well. If I'd known she was an over the top highly strung girl then I would have waited for something more suitable. Rescues can be unknown quantities. That being said, another dog of the same breed and age with unknown history could have been perfect. Its just the luck of the draw, then the ability to mould the dog to its environment without stress on both parts.

Years ago, I returned a rescue that I was assured would suit my 'horsey' lifestyle. It didn't, my horse hated that particular dog and there wasnt time or an effective way of managing the situation as I didnt see the point in having a dog who would be left at home majority of the time. I knew he would have been perfect for someone else, it broke my heart at the time but then decided to get a pup and that worked a lot better.

every dog is different as with every situation it enters in to. Your a good person to put the dogs needs ahead of yours and not shut it away from your life. I am a mum of 3 very young kids and I can fully relate to what you are saying. Dont discount the breed because of that dogs individuals characteristics.

All dogs are different.

I had 2 Rottweilers at my daughters 4th birthday and a whole class of kinder kids! Something perfect will come up and fill that hole SOON. Maybe look up some breeders who have older pups or dogs that have come from families. There are plenty of them around that need a good family home.

Edited by Chewbacca

A wei might not be the right dog for this person, but it doesn't mean they shouldn't own any dog. I couldn't handle a wei but have two well loved mini schnauzers.

Also, rescues have settling in periods for a reason. During that time it is perfectly acceptable - even encouraged - that if someone isn't happy with the dog they return them. It isn't rehoming the dog - it is simply not going through with the adoption.

A wei might not be the right dog for this person, but it doesn't mean they shouldn't own any dog. I couldn't handle a wei but have two well loved mini schnauzers.

Also, rescues have settling in periods for a reason. During that time it is perfectly acceptable - even encouraged - that if someone isn't happy with the dog they return them. It isn't rehoming the dog - it is simply not going through with the adoption.

Even if it was rehoming, there would not be anything wrong with it if the dog posed a risk to very young kids. The dog would be perfect for someone elses situation. If you put the right amount of effort in to rehoming, thats one less dog in a shelter and someone else in the right envionment gets themselves a perfect dog for their situation. Im not advocating for everyone to rehome their dogs because its 'too hard', just situations that are 'at risk'. In my opinion its the best outcome for all involved if you go about it the right way.

Despite appearances I did actually do my research, I grew up with gundogs and chose a wei over another breed not because of their colour (particularly because getting a rescue I half expected they would be more the dull brown than shimmery silver anyway) but because they have a reputation for being better at obedience and being better watch dogs than gsp's or vizla's and we have the time to spend 1-2hrs on exercise and obedience a day. But I didn't really want an adolescent, up until the point where I met Hank I was being logical, but I liked him so much when I met him and wanted it to be feasible so badly that I acted emotionally and that was a really daft thing to do. He was just too big and boisterous to handle safely around the children, I should have walked the other way after I met him and it would have been better for him and my poor bruised baby if I had. I wont make that mistake again, I have definitely had my object lesson.

I also agree that it takes more than a week for a dog to settle in and if it had been any problem other than the kids being injured we would have taken the time to work through it.

Now that comment I agree with. That is the exact reason I changed from DObes to Whippets.

Incidentally My Whippets would be fine in a bush treking, off lead situation.

VA - Dont feel too upset over it hun, you have tried and it didnt work out....it happens.

Not every dog is for every family...try to remember that okay. And take no notice of any flaming that comes your way...it is inevitable and easy enough to ignore.

I was in your position a while back...I took on a show dog, she was lovely, breeders were lovely and all was good. I tried training her (Ive trained many dogs) but her and I just didnt "click"...be it with training or even just daily life. I was well aware of what this breed was like, I did my research and because I work with dogs I thought I could handle her. Sadly I couldnt. :thumbsup:

She could be walked for hours and hours on end and still have boundless energy, she would do constant zoomies around our acreage and inside our house and injure herself, she destroyed everything she came in contact with, Ive never known a dog like her. My other dogs hated her aswell and the dynamics of the pack was ruined and I had to keep her seperated from my other three. I have trained dogs up for therapy work, agility, flyball etc... but couldnt even obedience train this one. I felt like such a failure. It was awful to have to send her back to her breeder but what else could I do? Both her and I were miserable. She is happier with them and Im happier without her in my life. (It sounds awful but its true....she and I just werent meant to be together.) :birthday:

So dont feel bad, your not the first person to go thru such a heartwrenching ordeal. Cheer up hun, you will find the right dog one day. :o

your situation sounds intolerable so dont feel guilty

big boisterous dog round kids is stressful ...full stop

you have to do whats right for the fam....it is a pity but thats the way it worked out so hes better off with a young couple with no kids

I have heard that the long-coat Wei's are lower energy than the smooths.

They can be, but it isn't the general rule... they probably have the same amount of energy, perhapsthough a little more laid back... but then you can get laid back and not so laid back SH too. They are (at least at the moment) essentially the same breed, but perhaps certain characteristics from the lines have come through to make the LH line a little more laid back.

voloclydes - He hasn't been fostered. Wei rescue is just facilitating between his current owners who want to give him up and possible new homes.

Secretkei - I was given a week trial and I picked him up last sunday.

deelee - Weirescue have mentioned that they'd happily keep our application and get in contact with us if they have an older, calmer wei come through.

If Nina was bigger I'd definitely stick with it as he just has the most wonderful nature and I really think that he'd mature into the most amazing dog but last night when I was playing with the baby on the floor and he heard a noise outside and ran and jumped over the baby (who was just at my knees) before I had a chance to react, scratching her head and knocking her onto the floor, I was glad I'd decided not to go through with the adoption. To keep the baby safe he'd have to spend so much time outside on his own at that wouldn't be fair to him, I grew up with dogs and we never had an outside dog so the whole idea seems wrong to me. I'll be driving him back in a couple of hours, right now he's curled up next to me being an absolute sweet heart.

I do like grey hounds but we spend a lot of weekends taking little family holidays up bush or to the lake so we really want a dog that we'll be able to, eventually, let off lead and I would like a dog that would be a watch dog. The other half and I were chatting a little about it last night - I think he's worried I'm going to mope so he keeps bringing it up. I guess we'll either wait a couple more years, if we decide on a young large breed, or if we don't wait we'll get something smaller or look for an already mature adult. Regardless of size I really want a dog I can do obedience with and possibly agility and enjoys a really good walk and is more velcro than aloof.

Can't you play with the baby in another room if you must use the floor???. It's not a bad dog because it jumped over the baby and takes some compromise to include both dogs and small children in the household. You can't expect a dog to automatically understand how it needs to behave around children and I would suggest to have a trainer assess the situation with the dog first before you make a decision to send him back. It's a amazing how some good training can alter a dog's behaviour and provide you with control. The dog didn't cause the baby harm, you caused that yourself I am sorry to say and the dog is not to blame for the incident. A smaller dog in the same situation that couldn't jump as well could poke the baby in the eye etc etc. Any dog can cause a baby harm if the baby is put in a vulnerable position in the dog's presence. Only you can control that scenario effectively.

Edited by Black Bronson

voloclydes - He hasn't been fostered. Wei rescue is just facilitating between his current owners who want to give him up and possible new homes.

Secretkei - I was given a week trial and I picked him up last sunday.

deelee - Weirescue have mentioned that they'd happily keep our application and get in contact with us if they have an older, calmer wei come through.

If Nina was bigger I'd definitely stick with it as he just has the most wonderful nature and I really think that he'd mature into the most amazing dog but last night when I was playing with the baby on the floor and he heard a noise outside and ran and jumped over the baby (who was just at my knees) before I had a chance to react, scratching her head and knocking her onto the floor, I was glad I'd decided not to go through with the adoption. To keep the baby safe he'd have to spend so much time outside on his own at that wouldn't be fair to him, I grew up with dogs and we never had an outside dog so the whole idea seems wrong to me. I'll be driving him back in a couple of hours, right now he's curled up next to me being an absolute sweet heart.

I do like grey hounds but we spend a lot of weekends taking little family holidays up bush or to the lake so we really want a dog that we'll be able to, eventually, let off lead and I would like a dog that would be a watch dog. The other half and I were chatting a little about it last night - I think he's worried I'm going to mope so he keeps bringing it up. I guess we'll either wait a couple more years, if we decide on a young large breed, or if we don't wait we'll get something smaller or look for an already mature adult. Regardless of size I really want a dog I can do obedience with and possibly agility and enjoys a really good walk and is more velcro than aloof.

Can't you play with the baby in another room if you must use the floor???. It's not a bad dog because it jumped over the baby and takes some compromise to include both dogs and small children in the household. You can't expect a dog to automatically understand how it needs to behave around children and I would suggest to have a trainer assess the situation with the dog first before you make a decision to send him back. It's a amazing how some good training can alter a dog's behaviour and provide you with control. The dog didn't cause the baby harm, you caused that yourself I am sorry to say and the dog is not to blame for the incident. A smaller dog in the same situation that couldn't jump as well could poke the baby in the eye etc etc. Any dog can cause a baby harm if the baby is put in a vulnerable position in the dog's presence. Only you can control that scenario effectively.

OMG!

Good luck with YOUR decision VA, all the best for you and your family for the future and whatever you decide, DO NOT ever feel guilty for what is your decision and best for you and the family.

:thumbsup:

Unfortunately babies that crawl and are learning to walk need to be on the floor playing most of the time - baring the 2.5hrs of the day she sleeps. Separating the two would have meant the dog would have to be outside, or inside in another room, away from people for all but about 4 hours of the day, which is in no way fair to the dog. Because shutting the baby, whose brain is developing and needs lots of conversation and stimulation, away is not worth mentioning.

If I he was already mine I would certainly give more time and get a trainer in etc however this was a week trial (which ran out) and it seemed irresponsible to adopt him when I couldn't be certain I could deal with the problems, particularly because in the intervening time he would need to be separated from the family too often.

Yes a smaller dog could have scratched her head, but it's unlikely a smaller dog would have been able to leave bruises quite that deep or to knock her down with such force. Technically the cats can knock her over when they run full tilt through the house playing. But comparatively these are little hurts and kids get hurt. She falls over all on her own often enough, but 30kg+ of force on the other end of a fall is too much.

I will feel guilty over my decision to take him on trial despite having some reservations, I wont feel guilty about choosing not to go through the the adoption.

omg a very small child and a large dog......never a great mix. :thumbsup: :D

sorry dog should be returned today... do not even look back. DO NOT FEEL regret.

i have waited 20 years to get a dally... as i wanted children. now my when my child turned 11 it was time to get a larger dog...hence we got leo.

not trying to be rude, but try a smarter smaller breed like a jack russell or a foxie... they love walks but can get all lazy too.

maybe with young kids rescue is not for you either, they often come with "issues" hence they ended up there in the first place.

i think even a whimpet would be able to knock over a toddler. you need a dog smaller than the children. maybe go to so shows and see what appeals.

good luck with your dog hunting. according to this forum i should only have pet oranges, but hell we have four dogs don't let the nasty pasties get you down.