Euthanasia

jackie_a1

I breed and show Rabbits and in December last year i faced my heart bunny's euthanasia and stayed with him. He had Paralysis most likely caused by complications of Head Tilt and prognosis was extremely poor. I didnt know rabbits were PTS directly into the heart and ever since then it's followed me. I still miss my little fella (I handraised from 3 days old) he was only 2.5yrs old.

I have had to do a newborn puppy and they are too small to do anything other than inject directly into the heart which was quite frankly horrific. My friends vet always uses the gas mask to gas them down first and then injects them and if I am ever unlucky enough to have to do this again I think I will ask for it to be done that way.

Dog wise mine have never been sedated and I have always been there. I am lucky enough to be able to get the vet to come to my house. Cat wise I have wondered if sedation might be the best way to go though. My older cat is very high strung and I don’t want her final moments being highly stressed about being restrained

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I've been there each time, I couldn't imagine not being there.

None of the experiences had anything bad happen, they have all passed away peacefully and quietly.

1 was muzzled when pts, that broke my heart as it wasn't required, he was dog agro not human agro but the Vet had their rules.

I missed your reply- Jackie- have you seen dogs injected straight away with lethabarb? I've never seen it take a full minute- maximum would have been 10 seconds, even with the big dogs. so 30 seconds with sedation seems a long time to me. Granted its certainly better than the 20 minutes the vet waited for the dog i took in to be pts who was sedated first.

I think its unfair to suggest responsible owners wouldn't go into it blindly- people are distressed at that time and hardly likely to ask the questions they might normally. Euthanasia protocols are not common knowledge and most pet owners would euthanase very few dogs in their lifetime.

I missed your reply- Jackie- have you seen dogs injected straight away with lethabarb? I've never seen it take a full minute- maximum would have been 10 seconds, even with the big dogs. so 30 seconds with sedation seems a long time to me. Granted its certainly better than the 20 minutes the vet waited for the dog i took in to be pts who was sedated first.

I think its unfair to suggest responsible owners wouldn't go into it blindly- people are distressed at that time and hardly likely to ask the questions they might normally. Euthanasia protocols are not common knowledge and most pet owners would euthanase very few dogs in their lifetime.

Totally agree, just because you don't know the options doesn't make you irresponsible, if you are responsible enough to make the right choice for your animal then how is it irresponsible to trust your vet to do the right thing? Even with horses its a quicker then 30 seconds and they are much, much bigger.

Actually no I haven't seen a dog be euthanised without sedation. Because the vets I have worked for always use sedation. The sedation never took twenty minutes I have witnessed a large amount of euthanasia's and it never took twenty minutes for the dogs to go down. I'm not sure what sedation they were using that you witnessed but the ones I have witnessed and with Lucky all were extremely quick acting as to not draw out the situation. I'll look up if different states use different sedation medication. But the effects of sedation was well within a minute.

Right. So when it's time to euthanise your pet you just go right into the vet clinic and say can you euthanise my pet? Or do you ring and ask first and say what do I expect? Am I doing the right thing? Can I take the body home etc? My next door neighbour had to put down her dog of 12 years it was her first dog and euthanasia she was distraught but she still managed to ring the vet and do some small research on the net. She didn't just walk into the vet blindly. That's what I am saying. I don't know of many responsible owners who wouldn't ask some questions not just to the vet but maybe to friends over the net etc even something as simple as body disposal.

For us unfortunately we have a lot of dogs that were bought as pups around the same years who are now old and heading towards Rainbow Bridge. We have had 3 in the last couple of months. My husband drives into the vets car park and the vet comes out to the car. I can't be anywhere near when they go down, as I prefer to remember them as they were, not their last couple of minutes, as that will etch in my

mind forever.

Marion01

I did with my Cairn girl 2 weeks after her life long partner died. We couldn't get her to eat, she just laid on his bed, the Vet said he could put her on a drip, but it would only be a temporary fix & that if she is missing her mate so much, the minute we took her home, we would be back to square one. The Vet said the kindest thing would be to put her to sleep, rather than her dying from starvation. We took her home for another day, hoping we could get her eating but didn't work, so we had to take the Vets advice & yes we stayed with her & took her home & buried her with her mate. :thumbsup:

Right. So when it's time to euthanise your pet you just go right into the vet clinic and say can you euthanise my pet? Or do you ring and ask first and say what do I expect? Am I doing the right thing? Can I take the body home etc? My next door neighbour had to put down her dog of 12 years it was her first dog and euthanasia she was distraught but she still managed to ring the vet and do some small research on the net. She didn't just walk into the vet blindly. That's what I am saying. I don't know of many responsible owners who wouldn't ask some questions not just to the vet but maybe to friends over the net etc even something as simple as body disposal.

Actually the first animal i had to have euthanize was a horse with severe impaction colic. I had no time to ring around and ask what to expect - are you calling me irresponsible? The next animal was a cat who was bitten by a snake - the vet suggested that treatment would be long and drawn out and the cat was quite old and would most probably not survive. Once again no time to chat to people and find out about it. After that i just trusted my vet to always do the right thing.

I don't know anyone who has asked around about it. All my friends are responsible pet owners. I don't think its fair to make the assumption that a person is irresponsible because they did not ask about it first, i have been going to my vet for nearly 20 years now and i trust him to ALWAYS do the right thing by my animals.

I'm getting severely irritated by people being on the defense about this you rearrange my words and interpret what you like to hear. My point is I PREFER SEDATION PERIOD. I feel that if you are responsible owner you would prefer and want to inform yourself about your options regarding euthanasia. Is it the correct decision? Will I leave the body with the vet or will I take it home? Cremation? Cost? Some people take their animals there and leave it to the trust of their vet and that's their decision or your decision also. However is it irresponsible to not ask questions? Then how do you know if euthanasia is even the best option for your pet?

I'm getting severely irritated by people being on the defense about this you rearrange my words and interpret what you like to hear. My point is I PREFER SEDATION PERIOD. I feel that if you are responsible owner you would prefer and want to inform yourself about your options regarding euthanasia. Is it the correct decision? Will I leave the body with the vet or will I take it home? Cremation? Cost? Some people take their animals there and leave it to the trust of their vet and that's their decision or your decision also. However is it irresponsible to not ask questions? Then how do you know if euthanasia is even the best option for your pet?

I did not rearrange your words i actually quoted you directly. This is an open forum, you are bound to get people who disagree with you.

I am disagreeing with what you wrote. Its not always possible to find out before hand. In an emergency when your best friend is in agony and the only responsible choice is to PTS all you can think about is how you are going to survive without them and spending those last few moments with them.

Yes in this vulnerable state yes i do trust my vet totally and utterly. I have NEVER been called an irresponsible owner and i resent the inference from someone who has no knowledge of myself or my animals stating that because i did not stop to question the person who was to end my best friends suffering i am. None of my animals has ever suffered and for the record no sedation here either.

I appreciate for you and for many others it was the best choice - however im sure there are just many who have the opposite view. Im not going to debate what is the best because i am NOT a qualified professional. An opinion is exactly that and every is entitled to there own as i am entitled to mine.

I have had it done for two dogs, One who was very old and had innoperable cancer. She was my grandads dog... I woudl have been 17 or something.. even my own mother woudlnt stay in the room. I woudlnt let her go alone so I stayed.

Second one was Russell, ... for some reason I still remember the feeling of him becoming 'dead weight' in my arms more than anything and that still hurts alot... but I dont think i could leave them alone with a vet to have it done. I had them both cremated, like all of my dogs.

:thumbsup:

I had to do this for the first time three months ago with my beloved 9yo rotti. :thumbsup:

The vet came to our house because I wanted Bastian to be as comfortable and relaxed as possible. She did sedate him and the effect was immediate - the next injection was straight after and then he was gone ...

I was there - he went held in my lap which is no mean feat for a 50kg dog and a 60kg girl! But he had given me nearly 10 years of unwavering love, loyalty and protection, the very LEAST I could do for him was be the one holding him as he went.

We then had the people from the pet crematorium come and pick him up about 1/2 hr after the vet as we'd arranged...

As you all have mentioned, hardest thing I have ever done. But the right thing. Sedate or not sedate - it doesn't matter you do the best you can at the time and if you are acting in the best interests of your beloved pet then that is all that matters.

And as for the question of soul - my boy had the most beautiful and loving soul and I know he's out there still in essence - I am just hoping that one day I am lucky enough to see him again.

RIP Bastian .... love you forever ........

Not everyone is blessed with the time to make such investigations. Dust Angel gave some examples of instances she's had to decide to euthanase in emergency situations. I have, unfortunately, gone through similar things, with a dog and two cats (all separate occasions). In an emergency, you just don't spend time ringing around getting quotes and deciding between burial and cremation. You trust your vet - you really have little other choice in an emergency.

I agree that when your pet is old and you've watched him/her decline in health over a period of time, it is a good idea to do your homework and prepare yourself practically and emotionally for the inevitable. But not everyone is lucky enough to have that preparation time. If you are going to use words like 'irresponsible', please try to have some consideration and respect for those of us who have had to make on-the-spot decisions to prevent our beloved animals suffering.

I realise people will disagree on a public board and I enjoy the intellectual debate. But I dislike the continual instigation of an argument. It comes across as sheer arrogance. I never inferred you were irresponsible and you took it out of context. An emergency situation is totally different situation as opposed to premeditated euthanasia.

Not everyone is blessed with the time to make such investigations. Dust Angel gave some examples of instances she's had to decide to euthanase in emergency situations. I have, unfortunately, gone through similar things, with a dog and two cats (all separate occasions). In an emergency, you just don't spend time ringing around getting quotes and deciding between burial and cremation. You trust your vet - you really have little other choice in an emergency.

I agree that when your pet is old and you've watched him/her decline in health over a period of time, it is a good idea to do your homework and prepare yourself practically and emotionally for the inevitable. But not everyone is lucky enough to have that preparation time. If you are going to use words like 'irresponsible', please try to have some consideration and respect for those of us who have had to make on-the-spot decisions to prevent our beloved animals suffering.

Well said Longclaw, better articulated and more diplomatic then me, but my sentiments exactly.

Sorry jackie but I have read this thread and I am quite disappointed that you feel someone who doesnt ask lots of questions is an irresponsible pet owner. Being a vet nurse, our clients trust us 100% when it comes to these issues. For many of them, the one question they seem to be able to ask is "what happens after?" and that is about it.

Euthanasia protocol is not common knowledge among pet owners and they expect the professional to know what to do and how to do it.

I have never worked in a clinic that as protocol will sedate an animal first. Owners want their beloved pet to pass quickly and peacefully. Sedating them and waiting for it to take effect can take awhile(5-20 mins depending on whether IV or IM injection) . Many sedations will also cause poor circulation which in effect would take the euthanasia to take longer. (Sedation is normally along the lines of domitor).

I've actually found this thread quite distressing.

I responded in good faith and then came back to read other people's responses.

It's painful enought to recall the deaths of beloved pets and share that without finding out that someone thinks it was irresponsible to not do more 'research' or that my vet may not have chosen the most humane method of pts. :thumbsup::laugh::laugh:

Sorry jackie but I have read this thread and I am quite disappointed that you feel someone who doesnt ask lots of questions is an irresponsible pet owner. Being a vet nurse, our clients trust us 100% when it comes to these issues. For many of them, the one question they seem to be able to ask is "what happens after?" and that is about it.

Euthanasia protocol is not common knowledge among pet owners and they expect the professional to know what to do and how to do it.

I have never worked in a clinic that as protocol will sedate an animal first. Owners want their beloved pet to pass quickly and peacefully. Sedating them and waiting for it to take effect can take awhile(5-20 mins depending on whether IV or IM injection) . Many sedations will also cause poor circulation which in effect would take the euthanasia to take longer. (Sedation is normally along the lines of domitor).

Guys, this is a really touchy and personal topic so maybe just drop this - its hard enough to relive this kind of thing, can't be easier when we are judging and commenting at each other. Stick to the topic, live and let live and don't judge others cause none of us are perfect. Opinions are fine - but lets not get personal hey? We all loved our dogs.

I've had two dogs euthanised.

The first was a German Shepherd with cancer that had spread through her intestines. We had known for a while that we would have to put her down but we were in denial. Unfortunately, she really started to go down hill while I was pregnant and while we made the decision, I was not allowed to go with her. So my husband tried to take her by himself. He broke down, so my father and his father set off to do the task, only my father-in-law was able to stay with her (my father was sobbing in the car!!).

The next was a much loved mini foxy/jack russell aged 15yo. Her kidneys had failed and, honestly, I couldn't stand watching her in so much pain. The vet was so understanding and supportive but the prognosis was not good. It was done in a very kind and caring way with respect to my little girl and my family. If I had any doubt about the decision, it was the look of relief in her eyes during her last moments. She looked straight at me and I'm sure she said "thank you".

Quite frankly, with both situations, I knew when it was the right time. And I made sure in my mind that there were no other options (talk to the vet etc) and then sat with both dogs for a while and both times a peaceful acceptance came over me....sounds weird I know. Of course, in an accident or crisis situation you would not have this opportunity.

One thing a few of you have mentioned is dealing with it with your children. Dealing with death is such a taboo in our society. I always encouraged our daughters to be part of our pets' death (and the subsequent discussions after). I remember when our pet goat (aged around 12yo) died and watched as Hubby and my 4 yo girls (sitting on the back of the tractor's carry-all with Beryl (dec), the goat) went out in the paddock to give her a funeral. I'm sure it helped prepare them for the finality in life and the death of grandparents and friends later on.

Edited by Longdog