National German Shepherd Show/trial 2010

Eric

Not all of us have spare cash we can put away to save for a trip to the mainland.

My opinion: Tassie should be exempt.

:) How is an interstate flight from Tassie to Melbourne different to an interstate flight from anywhere else in Australia to melbourne? Genuine question.

Here here, no difference, except a stretch of water :D

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get it gsdzrul, you are from Tassie right?

I thought you would understand how hard it can be sometimes :)

My breeder wanted me to go to the Vic Crested specialty, I'm kind of glad she missed the entry date because I really couldn't afford $300+ in flights plus accomodation. Then you have boarding fees on top of it because I have 2 other dogs. If it had have been Hobart then yes it would be no problem. $60 in petrol and I could drive back the same day.

Anyway, I think I have gone a little off track there...

State borders only just makes more sense to me.

Shaar there isn't much difference between me flying between Launceston and Melbourne and my friend flying between Sydney and Melbourne, just time and yes sometimes having to work in with quarantine Tasmania, but I know the rules and prepared for it.

Yes there are other cost factors that are taken into consideration, yes it is hard at times but not impossible :)

But instead of whinging about what i have to do to travel and exhibit my dogs, I go about it, plan well in advance and enjoy my time with my dogs.

Yes I proudly live in Tassie and love it.

Edited by gsdzrul

That makes more sense, thanks. I think I misunderstood you before. Even though I still disagree with some parts, but hey, that's what makes life interesting.

There aren't that many shows in Tassie as it is, I mean in Vic you may have 6 different shows you can choose from all over the state on one weekend! In Tas we are lucky to just get 1 per weekend.

With a Crested in Tas, they can't be shown at a lot of the winter shows so I plan on taking every chance I get to get my boy in the ring!

If there is a specialty in Vic that I don't intend on going to and it is a beautiful day here I would be more than a little peeved that I didn't get to show (or be in the running for points anyway)

I'm relatively new to showing. My mum has been showing/breeding for 20 years now but I'm only on my first dog.

I just remember the poor little guy getting off the plane at 3 months old. He came out wagging his tail but was obviously not happy about the whole experience. Road trips allow for lots of toilet breaks and fresh air :D

I don't think we will ever get everyone agreeing on the subject, so I agree that whinging is not the best... I just don't find many threads on DOL that I can voice my opinion on :)

Just to name a few of the more obvious reasons why air travel is difficult. Being "Down South" doesn't necessarily make it a whole lot easier either depending upon your breed of dog.

1. Jetstar don't take dogs at all

2. AAE/Qantas have banned some types of dogs from travelling at all and others have to travel in specific crate types

3. Virgin don't use "large" planes on every flight and don't always advise of changes to their aircraft until the very last minute

4. There is a set number of dogs per flight on a plane. Much of the time you are lucky and are able to get on without a problem BUT if the number of animals is overbooked or the freight is overweight for some reason, they just bump the animals according to the room needed.

I had issues sending a dog back to NSW recently because Virgin kept changing their plane. She was booked to fly out on the Friday afternoon but had to fly out on the Saturday afternoon instead with NO notice. She could not fly Qantas because of her breed.

Believe me, I have no issues travelling with dogs to interstate shows if/when I want to go and when I can afford to do so and have done so many times in the past and will hopefully do so again in the future, but I think many of you are being so bloody-minded for no reason whatsoever.

Just because YOU find it easy doesn't mean that everybody else does for various reasons and I think many need to be a lot more tolerant of that fact. There are VALID reasons why transport in and out of Tasmania is difficult and the TCA recognises that fact, as do many of the animal transporters.

Editing to add: And I forgot my "false-start" when sending one of the Stafford puppies to Cairns a couple of months ago. I was told to turn up at the airport (Virgin) at 4.30am, which I did. Only to be told that the incoming flight from Sydney which was the return flight to Brisbane was cancelled due to issues on the runway that morning so I had to turn around and go back the next morning.

On the other hand, putting a puppy on the plane to Flinders Island was easy. $33 plus the petrol from Hamilton to Launceston to Par Avion. And I didn't even have to book him on.

Edited by ellz

I'd love to know the cost comparison of travelling with GSD's to Melbourne from Tas or Darwin.

I know what it costs me to travel with dogs.

One GSD female and her owner from Launceston to Melbourne one way was 195.00 (125.00 for the bitch) and a cheaper air fair coming back its was 178.00. Can only fly Virgin out of Launceston and they have limited flights weekends as the freight section is now Toll and they do not open as aften as they did.

Flying out of Hobart is not so hard friends of ours took 3 to Sydney Royal all on the same flight and all three cam back on the same flight. You have Qantas and Virgin at the southern end.

We can rarely get flights out of Darwin for less than $150 that is just for the person flying, then add the cost of the dog and it oftens blows out to well over $400 one way.

I went to Alice Springs in March and flew. My flights cost me around $500 return and then I had to pay around the same for Harry. So just the flights put the bill over $1000, that didn't include accommodation, my hire car or the entries for the 3 shows.

Harry is only a Stafford so not exactly on the big side.

It's a fact, it's not easy getting dogs in or out of Tasmania.

Nobody said it could not be done. What a lot of people are saying is that it is to costly to be done for some.

The 1000 km rule does discriminate against those that can not go to Nationals.

This rule even discriminates against people in Victoria that can't attend Nationals and other states to.

In this day and age with the ever decreasing dog showing population this rule can stop people attending their local show.

Lets say you live in Mildura, their is a three day weekend of showing and a popular breed National in Melbourne,and you for personal reasons can't go, are you going to enter your dogs

if you know full well their are no challenges on offer for your breed, I can't answer for you but I can tell you I wouldn't be giving the club an entry and neither would a lot of others I guess.

Clubs need entry fees to survive.

As I said before would the club in Hobart received the entries they did if they had known that they couldn't have offered challenges.

There aren't that many shows in Tassie as it is, I mean in Vic you may have 6 different shows you can choose from all over the state on one weekend!

only if you are prepared to travel. It's the same wherever you are, if you want to go to something you find a way, if you don't you won't. I am passing up 5 shows within 2 and 1/2 hrs of me later this year cause nights away, costs and having 2 aged dogs to look after at home, my choice.

WA is no different in having one show only per weekend.

I personally would love to pay the price of air fares that Tassie has to the mainland .

Every flight has number restrictions BUT as already mentioned if you want to do it you can & freight has always over ridden dogs,we have had dogs bumped from other states .

Yes you have 2 days either side by ferry we have 2/3 days driving if your lucky to vic.

If you want to go you will make the effort if you cant then so be it but these rules have been around for many years ,it isnt recent .

If you truly think your hard done by then get TCA to put a motion forward for the ANKC conference .bring it up at your agm .

I can appreciate the plane issue size & i now that has always been an issue .i now when i book i pick flights that are dog friendly & based on the plane but yes we are lucky & get the bigger planes here

Edited by showdog

Would somebody please advise this topic if this correct.

This only applies to Launceston airport.

One flight in of a morning and night.

One flight out of a morning and night.

Of these flights which can take dogs and up to what size?.

Rule out Tiger as they do not carry dogs.

if Tassie people (who have a National) feel that strongly about it .. have you lobbied the National committee to try to get dates that

don't conflict? ...just a thought ...

my opinion already expressed is that it's a National and should have "National" focus (no other CC's awarded).

I do appreciate that it is difficult for some but people manage if they want to and can afford to .... doesn't tassie get really good

interstate entries for it's Royals & circuits round that time ?

I have taken a one year old newf on virgin to Melbourne from Launceston and the biggest crate from dogtainers is what they called a greyhound sized crate. The dog had to go as freight and be at the airport by 4.30am and was told there was also a weight limit on the dog as well. Can't remember what it was but the weight was dog and crate combined and he scraped in by 2 kilos. Also only 3 dogs allowed per plane.

Would somebody please advise this topic if this correct.

This only applies to Launceston airport.

One flight in of a morning and night.

One flight out of a morning and night.

Of these flights which can take dogs and up to what size?.

Rule out Tiger as they do not carry dogs.

Have flown dogs in and out of Launceston every day of the week at varying times the only restrictions on times is at weekends to the best of my knowledge.

Just a short post in regards to the flights from Hobart.

We fly puppies from Hobart to Melbourne age 13 weeks.

The cost with cost of Crate [$85.00] and her weight [$141.00] Total for her flight through "Air Express" was $226.00

Air Express or [Toll] now have 2 flights every day 1 early on a morning [having to have dog there around 4.30 am] and 1 late afternoon early evening [ have dog there around 4.30 pm or on week-ends 3.30 pm]

This was correct as at 29/8/09. Our puppy we sent had she weighed about 2 kilo more the price would have been a lot more, but she was lucky enough to just go under the 20kg. limit. She was 13 week old German Shepherd Puppy.

It was also just a little dearer to buy one of the molded Air Express crates for the $85.00 as to hire one which was all mesh was $60.00. We preferred the molded one as she was protected a lot more from all the noise etc. The guys at Air Express were terrific with her allowing her to have her own blanket & toy in with her in the crate. She flew on a week-end and had to be at the Air Freight Terminal by 3.15 to 3.30 and flew out at 5.30 - 6.00 [i think now], but if they have their quota of dogs then you cannot get on and have to wait for the next one or one that hasn't got its quota.

I don't know if this is the same at Launceston, as we deal with Hobart Airport.

This was our experience and our views only.

The cost with cost of Crate [$85.00] and her weight [$141.00] Total for her flight through "Air Express" was $226.00

Air Express or [Toll] now have 2 flights every day 1 early on a morning [having to have dog there around 4.30 am] and 1 late afternoon early evening [ have dog there around 4.30 pm or on week-ends 3.30 pm]

This was correct as at 29/8/09. Our puppy we sent had she weighed about 2 kilo more the price would have been a lot more, but she was lucky enough to just go under the 20kg. limit. She was 13 week old German Shepherd Puppy.

It was also just a little dearer to buy one of the molded Air Express crates for the $85.00 as to hire one which was all mesh was $60.00. We preferred the molded one as she was protected a lot more from all the noise etc. The guys at Air Express were terrific with her allowing her to have her own blanket & toy in with her in the crate. She flew on a week-end and had to be at the Air Freight Terminal by 3.15 to 3.30 and flew out at 5.30 - 6.00 [i think now], but if they have their quota of dogs then you cannot get on and have to wait for the next one or one that hasn't got its quota.

Thanks for that as it appears to be the same in Launceston.

I was flat out yesterday I did not have time to do the enquiries myself.

Also just having used the Spirit of Tasmania with car and dog trailer the over all length of trailer and car are charged for.

Plus you MUST have The Spirit of Tas. signed documentation by a veterinary surgeon that the dog trailer is suitable to carry dogs, and I assure you the vet charges for this. Also be able to provide evidence that the dogs have have been hydatid wormed before entry.

20 kg and 13 weeks OMGoodness. :cry::mad:mad:o:cry:

I hope that included the crate

Adult GSD female 5 years 59 cm and 26.2 kg Own crate Launceston to Melbourne $125.00

Adult Weimaraner female 3 yrs, 26kg Hobart - Melbourne $187.00 (owner supplied crate)

Edited by Firestone

Thanks for all the replys, as it is building a picture as to what is allowed.

Also appears that it is only a morning and night flight to use from both airports, Launceston and Hobart.

Not much of a choice but we must be thankful for those.

Thanks for all the replys, as it is building a picture as to what is allowed.

Also appears that it is only a morning and night flight to use from both airports, Launceston and Hobart.

Not much of a choice but we must be thankful for those.

We were flying a bitch from Launceston last week and we did all the bookings through Virgin and she had to be at the airport at 12.30pm for a 1.40 flight.

I think it depends on who you book through. We use both dogtainers and Virgin direct to get the best price

Edited by Firestone

Yes it was with the crate, but she was also a nice big boned puppy and her new family was really pleased with her. We have found Air Express and usually Quantas give top service, taking extra special care of the babies. Thats our experience with Air Express as the couriers. We used Dog Tainers when getting a junior bitch in from NSW and they were good also.

I hate to think about the Ferry especially if you have a 6 - 8 berth Dog Trailer. We have a 4 berth and room for 2 more in our Ute, but would still shudder to think what the return trip would be.. The Air charges are for 1 way only and that is another reason for paying the extra to purchase the molded crate rather than hire the mesh one. $85 crate costs for return compared to $120 hire return, then plus weight of puppy in crate.

Eric

There was a petition going around at one of the recent dog shows to make dog trailers cheaper on the Spirit of Tas.

I believe they were charged as an extra car maybe? (sorry sketchy on the details, but people are being charged a lot for them)

If they were charged as a regular trailer it would be a lot cheaper (and fairer as they don't take up any more room than a regular trailer)