My Assignment

Hi guys,

I am currently doing animal studies, this is the first part of three out of this assignment and its just to discuss the differences between terriers and gundogs. this is what I wrote, If anyone could tell me what they think, point out any errors, mispelling etc that'd be great. cheers

Gundogs and Terriers are two catagories of dogs which were and still are bred intensionally for hunting, in saying that, the similarities of the two are quite different from one another for many reasons, for example . height and weight, charactoristics, personality and techniques.

For instance, the Terriers are a small breed, generally weighing between 2 -15kg and standing at 8 -16 inches at the shoulders, whereas gundogs are a large breed, offen standing between 18 - 27inches tall and weighing anywhere from 13kg and 45kg.

Whilst terriers can tend to be dog aggressive they are also recognised for being vocal, confident , courageous, sturdy , tough and independant. Terriers were developed to hunt and kill vermin including rats, mice and other predatory animals, such as foxes that may of caused grief to farmers and were considered great assets to there owners for this reason. Terriers seek out the prey in their surrounding enviroment and pounce.

Gundogs are of kind nature, they tend to be submissive and offen avoid conflict. They are a dog of intelligance, loyalty and are alert. There are five(5) types of gundogs, including pointers, retrievers, water dogs, spaniels and setters. Spaniels, retrievers and pointers being the three most popular types used in modern times. They are used mainly by hunters for retrieval of prey, usually birds.

Gundogs -- mostly -- were bred to assist on the hunt (where someone holds a gun), not for hunting per se. They should be highly trainable, not aggressive to man or beast and should have soft mouths. In a few cases (American Cocker) they have been heavily bred for show and coat etc. have become more important than working temperament. In other cases, eg Labradors, ability to relate to humans seems to have been strongly featured in selection (the gentleman shooter's companion???)-- hence high success as Guide Dogs.

Terriers are a very mixed group, including dogs bred to go to ground (mostly, hunting vermin) and dogs bred to fight . . . and everything in between. Some terriers (eg Staffies) can run over 15 kg. Terriers are not bred for soft mouths, and many are bred to kill their prey . . . hence the fierceness.

Gundog and Terrier are GROUPS, not breeds. In pedigree dog terms, the relevant categories are Breed and Group . . . strike the word category.

Use your spell checker and work on grammar and punctuation. Errors are many. Try reading what you have written aloud. The following phrase is highly contorted.

similarities of the two are quite different from one another for many reasons, for example . height and weight, charactoristics, personality and techniques.

Hi guys,

I am currently doing animal studies, this is the first part of three out of this assignment and its just to discuss the differences between terriers and gundogs. this is what I wrote, If anyone could tell me what they think, point out any errors, mispelling etc that'd be great. cheers

Gundogs and Terriers are two catagories of dogs which were and still are bred intensionally for hunting, in saying that, the similarities of the two are quite different from one another for many reasons, for example . height and weight, charactoristics, personality and techniques.

For instance, the Terriers are a small breed, generally weighing between 2 -15kg and standing at 8 -16 inches at the shoulders, whereas gundogs are a large breed, offen standing between 18 - 27inches tall and weighing anywhere from 13kg and 45kg.

Whilst terriers can tend to be dog aggressive they are also recognised for being vocal, confident , courageous, sturdy , tough and independant. Terriers were developed to hunt and kill vermin including rats, mice and other predatory animals, such as foxes that may of caused grief to farmers and were considered great assets to there owners for this reason. Terriers seek out the prey in their surrounding enviroment and pounce.

Gundogs are of kind nature, they tend to be submissive and offen avoid conflict. They are a dog of intelligance, loyalty and are alert. There are five(5) types of gundogs, including pointers, retrievers, water dogs, spaniels and setters. Spaniels, retrievers and pointers being the three most popular types used in modern times. They are used mainly by hunters for retrieval of prey, usually birds.

Edited by sandgrubber

You could probably mention the latin roots of the word "terrier" and also go into more detail about the traditional work of gundogs and how those traits make them useful or desirable in more common modern settings (e.g service, guide, SAR, pet etc)

I'm not sure what you are being marked on or which academic standards apply, but it may pay to include some references - other sources to back up what you have written. Also, don't forget to use the spell-checker, something that can mistakenly be overlooked in the rush to hand in an assignment.

Hi guys,

Gundogs and Terriers are two catagories of dogs which were and still are bred intensionally for hunting,. iIn saying thatis, the similarities of the two are quite different from one another for many reasons. for example . The differences encompass height and weight, charactoristics, personality and techniques utlised by the different breed types in achieving the purpose for which it was bred for.

For instance, the Terriers are a small breed, generally weighing between 2 -15kg and standing at 8 -16 inches at the shoulders, whereas gundogs are a large breed, offen standing between 18 - 27inches tall and weighing anywhere from 13kg and 45kg. (What about the larger terriers such as the wheaten, kerry blue, airdale etc)

Whilst terriers can tend to be dog aggressive (Is this relevant?) they are also recognised for being vocal, confident , courageous, sturdy , tough and independant. Terriers were developed to hunt and kill vermin including rats, mice and other predatory animals, such as foxes that may ofhave caused grief to farmers and As such, terriers were considered great assets to there owners for this reason. Terriers seek out the prey in their surrounding enviroment and pounce. (I'd rephrase this, to terriers are constantly aware of their surrounding environment and independently seek out prey without specific direction).

Gundogs are of a kind nature,. tThey tend to be submissive and offen avoid conflict. They are a dogs of intelligance, loyalty and are alertness. There are five(5) types of gundogs, including pointers, retrievers, water dogs, spaniels and setters. Spaniels, retrievers and pointers being the three most popular types used in modern times. They are used mainly by hunters for retrieval of prey, usually birds.

I have bolded the spelling mistakes I can see and used strike out for grammatical errors. Remember - one thought, one sentence! It's very general. I'd like to see more specific examples of both types and the jobs they were bred to do. For example the wheaten was also used for herding and as a general, all purpose farm dog - I'd go into detail of a couple of different types of terriers and gun dogs and outline individual history and development. That way you can better show contrast.

ETA - you also want to include your references ie, breed standards etc.

Edited by Mollie10

I was also going to point out the weight of terriers part - I know Airedales can get to over 30 Kg, the Black Russian Terrier can be over 50kg apparently!

I noticed a few spelling mistakes and I think the first sentence needs rewording (for example "similarities.... are quite different" doesn't really make sense) and the sentence as a whole should be made shorter :laugh: Run it through a spelling and grammar check and remember that it is 'may have' not 'may of' and the different meanings of their, there and they're :party:

I wouldn't put that terriers are considered dog aggressive.

Also try not to refer to Terriers and Gundogs as 'breeds' in themselves - they are each a 'group' of similar breeds :laugh: You could put the different breeds that are listed in each group and then discuss the 'average size and weight' if you wanted to keep what you have written there?

Hope that doesn't come across as rude :laugh:

I was also going to point out the weight of terriers part - I know Airedales can get to over 30 Kg, the Black Russian Terrier can be over 50kg apparently!

Although the BRT isn't apparently a proper 'terrier'.

I agree though, my wheatens are 20kg give or take a kilo or two.

They aren't all like the JRT or the Westie. There are heaps of different terriers.

I would suggest picking 2 breeds from each group and using the breed standards for each. That way you can compare and contrast within each group and between the 2 groups.

I would avoid referencing wikipedia (it makes you look bad on the referencing but you can use it to find proper references though :laugh: )

They aren't all like the JRT or the Westie. There are heaps of different terriers.

After I posted I went looking at info, they are in the utility group! Confusing! :laugh:

After I posted I went looking at info, they are in the utility group! Confusing! :laugh:

I know :laugh:

It's the terrier you get when you don't have a terrier...

Hi guys,

This could be worded better - it does not really make sense. Something like "However this is where their similarity ends"

I would mention (as the others have pointed out) that gundogs are bred to work with people, and only track down the game and/or retrieve it, whereas terriers are bred to work independently of people and are expected to kill/hold their prey. And point out what this means as an owner of these dogs in terms of training and drives, how they get along with other animals, how easy they are to train for taking commands in obedience etc

Hi Jazi bear :laugh:

do you mind telling us what the 'Animal Studies' course is? is it for high school, TAFE, uni? Its a bit hard for people here to give the best advise without knowing the 'level' you're aiming for :laugh:

Gundog height standard also isnt between those mentioned.

The smallest gundog should be 14 inches ideal & some gundog breeds dont have a height standard.

Personally stating terriers can be dog aggressive can open a big can of worms BECAUSE the terrier group comes with a variety of personalities.

Personally i find it too brief with nothing special as to the diversity of the 2 groups & the breeds .

Maybe that is all that ask??

Looks like the original poster is not checking in and not giving thanks for advice.

P' off. This is not a service for getting your homework done for you. Courtesy demands that you respond to people who take the time to respond.

Grumpy :laugh:

I apolagise for not writting back sooner, this is the first time I have actually checked this post since I made it - I completly forgot about it to be honest. I dont have a due date for this and im doing the course through corespondance, simply to learn more. I appreciate your feedback, I havnt actually got spell check on my computer, that being the reason why I asked if anyone could point out major spelling mistakes. I am considering taking this to my stepfather( him being a vet) to see what his opinion is on this also and see i there is anything that he may recommend.

Sandgrubber, i wasnt EXPECTING anyone to do my homework that you, I was simply asking for advice of anything I could add to improve this. thank you

Thank you to everyone for your advice, I will definetly take it into account and ofcourse, look into changing my wording and adding some more detail and will have a new one shortly if you wouldnt mind telling me what you think one the new one is up.

Cheers