1 Metre Trial Lead

Were will i find a 1 metre trial led. I have been told my training lead is too long!!

Location is Mornington Pen in Vic.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

thanks in advance

scout

Mine is too long - only matters in CCD. I just ensured I had it carefully gathered for heel work and was quite happy to do a SFE further away. Zig's lead broke recently and I was forced to buy an emergency replacement from a random pet shop in an unfamiliar city - ironically the only half decent one I could find was about the right length for CCD trialling!

I bought a Kramar brand one which seemed to be perfect from petstock but I couldn't find a replacement one when I went back to get another one after a certain BC decided to chew it. Not that it will matter as I won't be doing CCD anyway.

I think blackdog now make a 1m lead although don't quote me on that.

Edited by ness

Were will i find a 1 metre trial led. I have been told my training lead is too long!!

thanks in advance

scout

All Breeds Boarding kennels have some nice leather leads that are about 1 metre in length (I could check for you). I don't use them for general obedience training, as I like more room/length to work with. The price on theirs is $26.00 I think. I could check that for you as well, if you are interested. Brown leather. Brass snaphook. Stitched, if I remember rightly.

I see you are within the Shire of Mornington. Have you been informed that you must have a 1 metre lead for trialling, or have you been informed that the Mornington Shire Council have brought in a law where there is a maximum lead length (regardless of what you are doing) of 1 metre. Silly law, IMO, made up to try to regulate stupidity.

I have a very nice, soft, black one left from my leather stock as well. It is a bit shorter than I usually have, not sure if it is not a bit more than 1 metre though - I'd need to go re-check. Feel free to contact me if you'd like info on either.

Edited by Erny

thanks in advance

scout

All Breeds Boarding kennels have some nice leather leads that are about 1 metre in length (I could check for you). I don't use them for general obedience training, as I like more room/length to work with. The price on theirs is $26.00 I think. I could check that for you as well, if you are interested. Brown leather. Brass snaphook. Stitched, if I remember rightly.

I see you are within the Shire of Mornington. Have you been informed that you must have a 1 metre lead for trialling, or have you been informed that the Mornington Shire Council have brought in a law where there is a maximum lead length (regardless of what you are doing) of 1 metre. Silly law, IMO, made up to try to regulate stupidity.

I have a very nice, soft, black one left from my leather stock as well. It is a bit shorter than I usually have, not sure if it is not a bit more than 1 metre though - I'd need to go re-check. Feel free to contact me if you'd like info on either.

First of all thank you for everyones feedback and pm's.

It was a person that trials at my obedience club that told me my lead was too long for trialling. I want to have the right gear when moving up through the classes thats all.

Mind you it might only be 1.5 at the most i am guessing. Its good for short recalls and general lead work, as it gives me room when i praise her, for her to go crazy as a boxer would! :thumbsup:

thanks again, wil try the club, as i want to support it firstly then. If not will look into the suggestions from here.

Thanks

scout

I use a $4 cheapie from K-Mart. It is called a puppy lead and is nice and soft, not too thin. It is not overly strong (well I don't think it would be - not sure, mine don't pull to test this theory!) but is a nice length and weight for trialling.

:love:

I went to a saddler in Mornington at the industrial estate, (but there's probably one in Somerville) and bought a rein, which I had made into a lead with a big horse clip from a headstall. And screw in studs to make the handle part.

It is great. I needed a heavy clip, because when it was windy the lead used to blow in her face and annoy her during heelwork. (This was in the days when novice had an on lead heeling exercise, which shows how long good leather will last)

luvsablue

Victoria

:grouphug:

thanks in advance

scout

The Mornington Peninsula has revised the metre length lead regulation.

Edited by Sardog

The Mornington Peninsula has revised the metre length lead regulation.

Ooh .... that's interesting. Do you know what they've revised it to, and where it is written, Sardog?

I couldn't find anything on their website about it (no mention of lead length at all). I've rung them and the thoughts there are that the 1 metre lead length regulation still applies, but the actual person who is needed to confirm and clarify is not available to speak with until next week.

Because it was such STUPID regulation the newspapers copped onto it with all the opinions of dog owners, especially those with very small dogs.

The Shire indicated that the law had been misinterpreted as they were referring to extendable leads etc, go figure :cry:

Edited by Sardog

Because it was such STUPID regulation the newspapers copped onto it with all the opinions of dog owners, especially those with very small dogs.

The Shire indicated that the law had been misinterpreted as they were referring to extendable leads etc, go figure :cry:

Well there is a many a dog around her, getting around on more than a 1 metre lead!!!

I had no idea, what a load of rubbish i reckon :mad

The Shire indicated that the law had been misinterpreted as they were referring to extendable leads etc, go figure :eek:

I've been on the telephone with the Council person who is familiar with the regulation (and its history). By his verbal accounts, I don't think it is so bad, so long as the Council don't go overboard on its policing unnecessarily. He's going to email me something with it all written out so people can see what it is about.

Apparently, the law has been in for 16 years (approx) - it was a law written that included other restrictions. The law was renewed more recently by the amendments to other areas of it. The "1 metre lead" reference, from what I could understand from the phone conversation, was not changed, but this time around, in its renewal, it caught the attention of the news where in the past it did not. It was subsequently, according to Council, then publicised in a way that gave people the wrong impression.

Again *apparently*, you CAN have a lead that is more than 1 metre in length but it is about utilising common sense and not allowing your dog to interfere with someone else, so for those environments where the Council thinks common sense might not be applied by some, the law is that there is to be no more than 1 metre's length of lead from the point at which the lead is held to the point at which it attaches to the dog. So, you CAN have a 1.5 metre lead (for example) but fold it up to shorten it to at least no more than 1 metre length where having your dog closer to you might be reasonably expected.

It has its flaws, of course, as restrictive laws do. When I am walking my boy (he's tall) down in the busy part of the main street, my lead might only be 6" - 1 foot in length by the time I've shortened it up. Not tight, mind .... it's loose, but it is for when we're moving through *crowds* so to speak. One metre length lead would be too much length in some circumstances.

I'll put up a copy of the email I receive once I've got it.

Edited by Erny