Anyone Here From N T?

Jake-K9

Sorry I can't yet put this in this mythical Off-Topic I keep hearing about...

But I am considering relocating for work, as my current company lost a large contract and I am now out of a job :(

Is anyone here from NT? What's it like up there in terms of things to do with dogs? What's the lifestyle like?

If I can't find something soon I am going to end up on the damn dole again >_<

*sigh*

I spent 5yrs in the NT. Its a fabulous place to live - once you acclimatise to the heat!

The heat will kill you initially LOL its like Ooh Myyy GawwwwDDD

Things to consider before moving to Darwin would be:

-Its very isolated from the rest of the country, its 2-3 days drive at LEAST to get to another part of the country so if you plan on taking your dogs on holidays with you be prepared for daysss of driving

-Very high cost of living

-Your life is dictated by the weather

-at certain times of year Darwin is cut off by road, the only way in and out is via the air

-everything EVERYTHING is green, and you will get sick and tired of green lol. You could plant a broomstick and it would grow leaves up there :eek:

-there is heaps to do and see, great part of the country to explore. Kakadu is so-so but other places like Litchfield are beautiful.

-GREAT lifestyle! Best in the country! Very outdoorsy, very very cosmopolitan, theres always something to do and its very easy to build a social network

-6 weeks annual leave a year are standard

-very close to asia if you want to travel - when iw as there it was cheaper to fly to Bali for a week than to fly to Sydney LOL

-tons of work, you can arrive and find work within 24hrs

-loads of pubs/clubs huge nightlife. They say ppl move to the NT and become drinkers - and they arent kidding. I drank more in my 5yrs there than at any other time in my life LOL

Theres a dog show scene etc etc. Dogs are allowed on ebaches there so theres plenty of places to run your dog. I wasnt showing when I lived there but my firends were. There is also dog obedience and agility too i think.

-if you are into sport then you will love it there

-theres a decent size Uni if you want to study

-very transient population so jsut about anybody fits in up there

P.S Another 7 posts and the mysterious Off Topic will magically appear for you :p

Edited by indigirl

Sounds awesome, thanks! :)

I will most likely end up living in my car for a while (allready spent 6 weeks in it with the malinut) - I have a troopy so it's just like camping LOL

Have sent a resume to a company up there, will see if they get back to me...

Being a bit isolated doesn't really bother me, either :)

I'm almost tempted to just sort all my shit out, throw it all in the car and head up there while I still have money left for diesel...

Edit to add: I have spent a lot of my life in townsville, so I have some idea of the climate up in Darwin (though I reckon it'd be a fair bit more humid, ugh).

7 posts? ooh ooh time for a spam rampage ROFL

(nahhh I hate posting crap LOL)

Edited by Jake-K9

Only 6 more posts now LOL

There are 3 weather cycles in Darwin - the Wet, the Dry and the Buildup, its hot all year round.

The wet = summer, rains every day, everything grows green green green. Sure its hot but the rain is a lovely relief

The Dry = winter - this is paradise on earth. Cool eveings and warm days its superb. Its also when all the zillions of tourists descend

The build up = sept - Summer.. arghhh its hot hot hot.. and humid humid humid with no rain jsut more humidity. Its known as the silly season as ppl go troppo with the heat lol.

My advice is if youa re goingto move there go NOW its the end of the wet perfect time to go there. If you arrive for the buildup the heat will make you nuts. If you go now you can acclimatise before the build up starts. Also loads more work now as all the tourists are arriving and the city will be booming.

Good Luck!

I lived in a suburb just outside Darwin for 9 months housesitting for my brother while he went to East Timor with the Army.I also had to look after his dog.Note to anyone thinking of moving to NT.Re-think if your about 4 months pregnant!

Its a great lifestyle, beautiful country and some great people but I couldn't handle the humidity...I actually think I went a bit loco...hence why they call the wet season the 'silly season'.Carrying round a 8 pounder didn't help.Saying that I don't mind high dry heat, coming from northwest nsw originally...no problem.

I also noticed the dog had lots of skin problems and spent a lot of time being treated by local vet.Some animals can't handle the conditions.

I would take a trip first and check it all out.Problem now though its still hot, its coming out of the wet season.

Goodluck!

I spent last year in Darwin. It is great, but like the other posts said, very hot in the wet. Much more than townsville. but it''s OK.

the winter (dry) is lovely and very busy, but during the wet everything outdoors stops, inc dog stuff. I found many dogs were overweight there and when the heat set in :thumbsup: I could see why. It's difficult to walk a dog for long in the heat. Thye can go on beaches etc. but I was very wary of year round stingers and crocs. There is a greaat dog park called marlows lagoon, but that had a croc sign up for a while too. Freds pass is a wonderful kennel club and friendly.

It is very expensive there too. I found vet/doc fees about 2 times dearer (although I've never paid for a doc here so paying there was a shock). It's a great experience and a great place to get job experience as there are literally a zillion jobs and I got offered a dozen or so during the time there. I"d say go for it, the drive is gorgeous, the country wonderful, make sure you have extra fuel and tyres, just in case. we had a couple of blowouts, both on sundays! miles from anywhere and fixed them but I hate being without a spare so we had to backtrack to get another. I'd have 2 spares next time.

rent iis sky high and can be difficult, night life in the dry is fantastic!! check out living /house etc first as you will need somewhere, far too hot to be camping all the time, and esp for the dog. Good luck with it all, a few dolers are up there, one is Costas Mum, you could pm her, also I think Megz and pappyluv? xxx

I spent last year in Darwin. It is great, but like the other posts said, very hot in the wet. Much more than townsville. but it''s OK.

the winter (dry) is lovely and very busy, but during the wet everything outdoors stops, inc dog stuff. I found many dogs were overweight there and when the heat set in :thumbsup: I could see why. It's difficult to walk a dog for long in the heat. Thye can go on beaches etc. but I was very wary of year round stingers and crocs. There is a greaat dog park called marlows lagoon, but that had a croc sign up for a while too. Freds pass is a wonderful kennel club and friendly.

It is very expensive there too. I found vet/doc fees about 2 times dearer (although I've never paid for a doc here so paying there was a shock). It's a great experience and a great place to get job experience as there are literally a zillion jobs and I got offered a dozen or so during the time there. I"d say go for it, the drive is gorgeous, the country wonderful, make sure you have extra fuel and tyres, just in case. we had a couple of blowouts, both on sundays! miles from anywhere and fixed them but I hate being without a spare so we had to backtrack to get another. I'd have 2 spares next time.

rent iis sky high and can be difficult, night life in the dry is fantastic!! check out living /house etc first as you will need somewhere, far too hot to be camping all the time, and esp for the dog. Good luck with it all, a few dolers are up there, one is Costas Mum, you could pm her, also I think Megz and pappyluv? xxx

I find the only that kills me is the PRICES of everything paying nearly double on everything, petrol when it come from EastT Timor Yet we pay the most for it, Rent, food when we grow our own.

As for the vet well I agree 100 percent with Monah, I breed my dogs so, the DNA testing is double and so his Hip scoring I nearly died of shock when what should be $450 for hip scoring is going to cost me $750 up here.

The heat pretty bad here too.

But its a great place to live other wise :thumbsup:

Sorry I can't yet put this in this mythical Off-Topic I keep hearing about...

But I am considering relocating for work, as my current company lost a large contract and I am now out of a job :thumbsup:

Is anyone here from NT? What's it like up there in terms of things to do with dogs? What's the lifestyle like?

If I can't find something soon I am going to end up on the damn dole again >_<

*sigh*

For dog stuff to do, check here

http://www.dogsnt.com.au/

There's all the usual stuff, dog shows, obedience clubs, agility, etc. New people and their dogs are always welcome. :thumbsup: Parks and beaches in Darwin are all off-leash unless signed otherwise.

Work is incredibly easy to get. But the cost of living is high.

Lifestyle is laid back.

Now is the perfect time to move here. You miss winter and can ease into the build-up. :thumbsup:

I have heard there are more insects up there... and that they are larger....

I don't really like insects...

Are you able to pop up there and spend a week or so looking around before you commit?

I'm sorry to hear about your job :thumbsup: and I wish you all the best :thumbsup:

x o x o

So long as the insects stay OUT of my car, we won't have a problem LOL

Edit: Gah, somehow managed to hit the post button.... >_<

Thanks for all the responses :)

If I do head up that way I will probably be looking to stay, as I would like to try to get into NTPOL, I haven't managed to get my shit together for the intake that closes on the 14th, so I'll have to get it all organised for the next one :(

Have applied for a few jobs up there, will see if any of them get back to me...

Rang the old girl this evening and told her I was planning on heading that way, she seems to think I'll like it up there :)

Hopefully I'll be able to get a job that pays decently, but so long as we're both able to eat I will be happy LOL

And I do seriously doubt the malinut could ever get fat - he burns wayyy too much energy every day, I have trouble keeping weight on him most of the time!

Spoke to a caravan park about 20mins out of Darwin on the phone, they claim to be 'dog friendly' but said they usually only allow small dogs and may or may not approve of the malinut :( I don't really mind staying in the car so long as I can find somewhere in the shade to park... and if I could possibly make use of someone's laundry facilities once a week or so instead of having to use a laundromat that'd be great - but we'll cross that bridge if I do head up that way :)

Edited by Jake-K9

This is our 4th year in Darwin. We like it, it's nice, but as everybody said it is a bit more expensive to live here. You do spend less on clothes though. :eek:

A lot of people commented on heat. Well, we came here from Perth and Perth was much hotter in summer. But high humidity make it feels hotter than it really is. You do get used to it after 2 or so years. :thanks:

And as for everything is far away, well again Perth is much further away. Singapore is like 2 hours flight away, and it's cheap to get there too.

The weather is about to become really nice until about October, when the Buildup (that is the worst one) starts. Rains usually start in Dec/Jan and it is better than. If you think you know what the rain is, well the rain here will change your definiton of it for sure. Sometimes we get more rain for a weekend than Perth gets for year (sorry about all these comparisons to Perth, but that is the only place I know well enough).

One thing is for sure. It is fun place to be, at least for awhile. :thumbsup:

Oh, and our dog (standard poodle) is doing super fine here. I keep his coat short, he swims a lot and he is fit and lean. No skin or other problems. There are no paralysis ticks here, but you do need to watch for cane toads.

Oh, and our dog (standard poodle) is doing super fine here. I keep his coat short, he swims a lot and he is fit and lean. No skin or other problems. There are no paralysis ticks here, but you do need to watch for cane toads.

Do u live in Nightcliff by any chance if you do I may have seen you walking your poodle

I am not a fan of spam :P I have always been function over form and quality over quantity :P

Darwin is sounding better and better... I went in to the estate agents today and paid up my last month of rent til the lease ends (6th of next month) as I really don't want to break the lease :/

But I can't decide if i should stick it out here until the lease is up, or just get my crap sorted and hit the road...

And I still can't decide whether to sell my motorbike or not :(

(I really do want to keep it but I could definitely do with the cash - plus I hardly seem to get a chance to ride the bugger, and getting it to NT would be a pain!)

Do u live in Nightcliff by any chance if you do I may have seen you walking your poodle

We did live in Nightcliff, but we moved to Brinkin 2 years ago. There is another brown standard in Alawa tha we know of.

We did live in Nightcliff, but we moved to Brinkin 2 years ago. There is another brown standard in Alawa tha we know of.

Oh Ok, no this a black standard in Nightcliff, owner walk her poodle everyday...Im now living in Acacia Hills(about an hr out of Darwin) :thumbsup:

Jake-K9 - Maybe take on the lease for another 6 months and as someone eles as suggested take a holiday for few weeks and see how it goes :thanks:

If I thought I was going to have income for the next 6 months I would re-sign :(

I honestly don't know where or when I will end up working next - even if I end up with something elsewhere in Brissy I don't want to be stuck in Ipswich and have to commute 100+k's a day to get to work and back - troopys don't make good commuters and tolls are baddd, mmkay? :/

If Darwin doesn't work out I will probably end up back in Townsville, anyway >_<