Do You Allow A Puppy Person To Pick Their Pup?

Stolzseinrotts

As the topic states, I am refering to breeds that are Working / Utility dogs.

I do not let pet people pick their puppy. Reason being I know the litter and what traits the pups have. I feel it is responsible as a breeder to try and match the puppy to the purchasers lifestyle and requirements. Having a breed where they are all the same colour rules out certain marked pups as some people prefer. But what I am asking do you allow people to pick their pup or not, and why?

If I had an experienced show / breeder wishing to pick in a litter and said puppy was available I am happy for that to happen.

I do not finalise the pups until about 7 to 7.5 weeks. The puppy people I have accepted are told there is a pup for them in the litter but I am unable to confirm who they will be getting until the pups reach 7 to 7.5 weeks.

I have not had any complaints with they way I have been doing things and will continue to do so, but I am curious as to how others allocate the pups in a litter.

I look forward to feed back.

Thank you.

Same here, but I do have a breed that can come in four colours.

They are all welcome to put in their colour preference, but there is no guarantee that is what they will get.

I know its a hard thing to make them wait what must seem like an eternity, but most are happy to wait until we choose our show potential pups at around 7-7.5 weeks.

They get weekly updates on the whole litter, or just of the boys / girls depending on what they are looking for.

Why only for Working/Utility breeds? I don't think it's unique to these breeds for breeders to select puppies for their buyers as they know them the best. I have had all but one of my pups selected for me.

I should have said - same here and . . .

We get alot of people, and I assume most breeders face this, that are insistent that they want "a black bitch/dog" or "a brown bitch/dog" - like we can just go and pick one of the shelves out the back for them :D. Once they understand there is no guarentee that exactly what they want may even be in the litter (prior to being born) (or may be staying here) it is easier to work around their wants and what they are capable of living with.

I have started broaching the subject very early with people now - "if we don't end up with a black bitch in the litter woud you consider a brown bitch / black dog" etc etc. Most people once they have had a chance to think it over and discuss it privately decide that they don't really care - it changes to their preference is but - - - .

When people are visiting the litter during the 'picking weeks' - 6 to 8 weeks - I let them spend time with the whole litter while all the puppies are excited and loving the visit and once they start to settle down I remove the puppies we are serious about and explain why. I haven't had anyone who didn't understand this process and even had one couple wait for their puppy out of our 2 pick boys which we ran on until 12 weeks - 1. because they liked those 2 boys and 2. because they had a wedding OS the week after they turned 8 wks.

You can get a wide colour range in Staffords too of course and I do point out to potential purchasers that there is nothing whatsoever wrong in wanting a dog of a particular colour but I suggest they should try to keep an open mind because the dog which is the best "match" for them and/or their situation may just be the "wrong" colour.

That said, I don't allow puppy people to choose their own puppies as a rule. BUT they are occasionally given a choice of a couple of puppies after a) I have selected what I am keeping for myself - I breed to keep, not sell so I ALWAYS get first option for colour and gender and b) I know the individual person/family situation and have met or spoken to them a few times so that I can ascertain what kind of personality might suit their needs best.

It is pointless placing a full on, goey puppy in a home where they are wanting something a little more laid back. As the person who has spent the previous 8, 9, 10 or more weeks with the litter, I am in the best position to say which puppies exhibit more of whichever temperament and thus far, I've done an excellent job at matching puppies with homes.

I would presume any ethical breeder would follow this rule no matter what the breed.

Matching the right pup to the right family is very important & all our buyers are told this

Agreed.

My puppy people where told there would be one for them, but not told which one until 7 weeks.

Why only for Working/Utility breeds? I don't think it's unique to these breeds for breeders to select puppies for their buyers as they know them the best. I have had all but one of my pups selected for me.

Because I am more familiar with these breeds.

Reason as these breeds can have strong drives and I would expect it important to match the right pup to the right owner. For example - The high drive pup does not suit the owner who basically just wants a house pet, that has no intentions of doing advanced obedience work etc. So the more laid back pup would suit the house pet people who go for a walk once a day and just want the companionship with no interest in "working" their dog.

The dominant dog does not suit an inexperienced owner who does not have the experience to deal with a dog who is likely to push and or try things.

I am sure the other group dogs all have their own things / traits about them but like I said I am more familiar with the Working / Utility Breeds.

Thank you to those that have posted answers. :D :thumbsup:

Because I am more familiar with these breeds.

Reason as these breeds can have strong drives and I would expect it important to match the right pup to the right owner. For example - The high drive pup does not suit the owner who basically just wants a house pet, that has no intentions of doing advanced obedience work etc. So the more laid back pup would suit the house pet people who go for a walk once a day and just want the companionship with no interest in "working" their dog.

The dominant dog does not suit an inexperienced owner who does not have the experience to deal with a dog who is likely to push and or try things.

I am sure the other group dogs all have their own things / traits about them but like I said I am more familiar with the Working / Utility Breeds.

Thank you to those that have posted answers. :D :thumbsup:

yep, it's the same with gundogs too.