My Swf Howled For The First Time Today :)

PepitoVFR

I've never heard our SWF howl in the 8 years she's been with us but tonight on our walk she stopped and gave three long howls as an ambulance drove past all sirens blaring. :D

To me it was a funny sight, :rofl: Katie is my first small dog and for some reason I'd only associated howling with larger dogs ... maybe because of the whole wolf thing and how she doesn't really look much like one :D

Does anybody know the consensus as to why dogs howl? :laugh: I've heard a few theories but nothing definite, thanks :love:

I think it's to look ridiculous. Dogs instinctively know we need to laugh at them, so they howl.

My old family Dane {and I'm talking 13 years ago} used to howl at airplanes, and then attack herself because of the noise.

Our BC boy used to howl with us when we whistled at a particular pitch! It would have to be a fairly long whistle, and he'd wiggle-butt and become very excited, start wuffling and yipping and then eventually break out into a full-blown howl. It appeared to be a very exciting thing for him.

Can't help as to why they do it though! :laugh:

I do believe it has something to do with 'pack'. Tobie only ever did it when we were all together and it was a very interactive thing.

I think in many dogs it's an instinct which may lay dormant most of the time and is only triggered by noises of a certain pitch, my chi will howl when the phone rings whereas my sibe howls when my chi barks a lot! :laugh:

I'm so used to it having a Sibe (he howls because he cannot physically bark) that I forget it's not that common for other dogs to do it :laugh:

Daisy does it too but only because she copies Mish :rofl:

Most Sibes can't bark so they vocalise by howling.

Don't know how many of you have seen this vid but I love it!

You need to come tell that to some Sibes I know, one little monster dosn't stop barking! :laugh:

Edited by Wolfsong

You need to come tell that to some Sibes I know, one little monster dosn't stop barking! :rofl:

LOL Wolfsong I haven't met many who can bark!

Micha tries SO HARD to bark, he tries to copy Cherry and Daisy, but it just comes out as this pathetic shortened howl :laugh:

You need to come tell that to some Sibes I know, one little monster dosn't stop barking! :D

LOL Wolfsong I haven't met many who can bark!

Micha tries SO HARD to bark, he tries to copy Cherry and Daisy, but it just comes out as this pathetic shortened howl :laugh:

Oh poor Micha :rofl:

Next time I see this dog I'll film it.

I'll admit I never thought they were barkers until I came across these dogs, this one in particular.

Maybe someone needs to remind him he's a Sibe :D

Our dogs howl if the man of the house isn't home by dark. They howl when some of them have been away for some time working elsewhere,and are back for the first night. They howl if there is a bitch in season. They howl if they are restless..... there are other times as well. I love listening to a pack howling :laugh:

Here's something I just found:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_communication#Howls

Howling may provide long-range communication with other dogs or owners. Howling can be used to locate another pack member, to keep strangers away, or to call the pack for hunting. Some dogs howl when they have separation anxiety.

It's been suggested that dogs sometimes howl when they hear sirens or other loud higher pitched sounds like clarinets and flutes as an instinctive response to hearing what they interpret to be another dog howling in the distance. A more likely explanation is that there's something in the pitch and wavelengths of certain sounds that's similar to the howl of the wolf which resonates with the dog.

Jonty will have a quick howl when he can't find me - it is the same length (approx. 30secs) every time, and always follows the same rhythm - pitch progression. It starts with wimper, then howl, howl, howl and ends in a series of barks.

He doesn't bark usually, preferring to do a low warning growl instead.

Lu is a barker, but will now join in with Jonty with his "Where have you gone mummy" howl.

Jonty also does a strange one, where he will wake up and start howling. I have no idea what has triggered it, but he is more likely to do it when it is nearing a full moon :laugh: .

Neither howl at the moon, or at sirens (that I can hear anyway :rofl: ).

Daina and Elle have never howled. Sarge has howled twice, both times he was still asleep I think. Sound asleep one second and then the next he had shot up and was howling. First time I said "Sarge are you okay?" and he sort of snapped out of it and went back to sleep after a bit. The second time I just watched and he eventually stopped and lay down and slept.

Muddy howls if the other dogs get taken somewhere and he gets left behind. He is a massive whinger :laugh:

The neighbourhood dogs all howl together when they hear a siren. I quite like it but none of my dogs join in.