What Are His Chances Of Survival?

MsDani

One of my dogs (same one each time) has had HGE a couple of times. The first time she was on fluids and the second time we caught it very early before she was dehydrated.

As long as they are making up for fluid losses and the drugs are doing their job I would expect he would make a good recovery. Hope he is continuing to improve now.

I wouldnt let my dog come home, I would be keeping him in the vets with a drip until he was eating properly and not vomiting.

I dont understand this trend of a couple of needles and send them home. THe dogs intestines are extremely inflamed and absorption is up the creek! They should be on a drip!

Extraordinary! I cannot understand how vets can be so offhand [read negligent :laugh: ] when dogs are so ill and need to be on a drip.

Hope Staffy Boy gets well soon.

"Sniff test"? OK - now that's a good one...

I've smelled Parvo and I've smelled HGE... they are not even close to the same smell. They are both very nasty though, and in either case, the dog should be on IV's until it shows good signs of improvement.

Both can kill young puppies if not treated properly early.

Fingers crossed for your little one that is now getting good care from a vet that actually knows what they are doing.

T.

Thanks for the replies...

After seeing the vet on Friday Night (not our usual one, but he was the one closest to her as they only moved 2 weeks ago) he said Parvo after doing a sniff test. :laugh: (Trust me, I was there when he did it) I called our Vet Saturday after posting on here, and was concerned that they didn't give anymore medication etc etc

She took the little man to our Vet on Saturday and he's been there ever since.

If it's HGE, then he needs to be on a drip and the vet is the best place for him.

I'm another person with a dog that's had two bouts of HGE. A check for potassium levels usually shows they are depleted - that's always worth checking.

Recovery rate is quite good provided the dogs don't get too dehydrated. I hope its all uphill from here.

Follow vets instructions about after treatment diet - it needs to be very bland for up to a week.

Edited by poodlefan

there is a quick in house test for parvo, it costs about $15. Time to change vets.

I agree 100%. I asked in a previous post as to whether the vet carried out a parvo test as I was surprised that the dog came down with parvo even though he was immunised. I am absolutely appalled that the vet attempted a blind guess. Time to change vets, I would not darken the doorsteps of such a place :)

This is appalling, the poor pup. My pup excreted pure blood in a gel type form when she was about 10 weeks old and threw up. I took her straight to the vet and they were all saying, oh, that doesn't sound good and looking at my like that was the end of my puppy. They immediately gave her a parvo test just to be sure, it was negative so they put her on antibiotics for a severe gastro infection.

Why is it so hard to find a good vet, I'm lucky I have one of the good ones, but you hear so many stories about bad practice. Why would someone become a vet if they don't like animals?

Anyway, big hugs for you pup and I hope everything turns out ok (and you find a good vet).

An update...

My sister went in a saw the little guy on Monday and he wasn't doing too well. Then when she went in a saw him yesterday he stood up and greeted her, so everyone was hoping he was over the hump...

But he went downhill again today :)

How much more can his body take?

They haven't given up on him yet.

Edited by Goosey~Gander

Hope he is hanging in there GG, thinking of you xo

Just a thought, my boy who came through Parvo went down hill before he started to get better..I nearly pulled the plug. Give him time, a wag fromthe tail an a response is great though!

Edited by Missymoo

*quickly popping back in*

My sister just called and said she spoke to the vet again tonight and he is perking up. He's also managed to eat a little and has kept it down.

So fingers crossed.

*quickly popping back in*

My sister just called and said she spoke to the vet again tonight and he is perking up. He's also managed to eat a little and has kept it down.

So fingers crossed.

Great news. Don't give up Goosey-G. Going up and down is pretty standard really. Once the corner is turned, the downs aren't as far down and the ups are higher - LOL.

The little guy has lots of healing vibes coming his way.

The little man come home today :p

He's extremely skinny (which is to be expected) and he was also depressed, he was mopping around the house for about 1/2 hour - But that didn't last long.

One of the kids stood on his squeaky toy by accident and that was it - he was off, running around with it in his mouth. He was so excited too see it. But of course, that didn't last long either, he just doesn't have the energy atm

When I left, he was snuggling with his Mum (my sister) in front of the heater.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts!

Glad the poor boy has come through. I would highly recommend a couple of drops of PENTAVITE daily. That will stimulate his appetite and give him the strength that he will need to full recovery. That really is a beaut product. Hugs to him.