She Doesnt Seem To Like Anything....

My 7 and a bit month old doggy is very picky with dry food. Ive had this topic before but was wondering if anyone can reccomend a brand that their dogs LOVE? Im with Royal Canin Small Breed right now. Thanks :laugh:

I started on science diet and was great to start, but then both my kids suddenly stoped liking it so I switched to Eukanuba and havent had a problem since. Have you tried mixing it with something yummy like fresh meat just to get you furkid interested again. :laugh:

My 7 and a bit month old doggy is very picky with dry food. Ive had this topic before but was wondering if anyone can reccomend a brand that their dogs LOVE? Im with Royal Canin Small Breed right now. Thanks :laugh:

I started on science diet and was great to start, but then both my kids suddenly stoped liking it so I switched to Eukanuba and havent had a problem since. Have you tried mixing it with something yummy like fresh meat just to get you furkid interested again. :laugh:

Ive mixed it in with everything that I could think of.... Dora just eats around the dry kibble bits. Was that ever a problem with you? Like, she just licks it off.

have you tried canned sardines and then the oil mixes with the dry food. that usually gets them interested

Ooh, I'll try that one.

My main objective is for her to eat her dry food on its own. She HAS eaten it once, and I could she that she didnt think it was bad. I think that because my mum always gives her fancy food that Dora is waiting for a better option.

Thanks for the tips, any others will be much appreciated!

Why not do what most of us do.

Go and get pet chicken mince and small breed dog food and give more chicken than dry and mix it together.

If that doesn't work you could always soak the dry and then mix it through.

Edited by oakway

Mixing cooked food with the kibble seems to work for me.

Also, if you're desperate try this: Microwave 1 teaspoon of butter till completely melted and rub the kibble through this thoroughly.

I've done this once and couldn't believe how fast they woofed down their kibble but it's not to be done too often :laugh:

I'm affraid butter seems to be the only way I can administer tablets when needed.

Currently I have found that Royal Canin and Eagle Pack are the best.

I say currently because I have found that manufacturers change the recipe every now and then and what was good isn't any more.

I am feeding Royal Canin and my lot are doing fine.

Other brands tend to give them tummy upsets ie. they puke it back up again.

I only feed dry of a morning and then BARF of an evening.

However in your case, and if it was my dog, I would be feeding less of ALL food including treats.

There is nothing like hunger to make the food they are given very acceptable!!!

So, cut out the treats for a week, cut every meal down by 1/3rd for a week and I bet you at the end of that time your dog will think your dry food is pretty good!!!

Feeding a dog is an art - too little and you get a skinny, hungry dog, too much and you either get a fat dog or a picky dog. :laugh:

The easiest way to get your dog to eat dry food is to stop messing about with it and ensure they have a good appetite.

Why would a dog want to eat kibble if picking all the other goodies out of it satisfies their hunger?

If your mum continues to offer alternatives, Dora will continue to wait for them. Have a word with your mother.

Measure out a portion. Feed it plain. If she refuses to eat it, pick it up after 10 minutes and offer it again the next meal. She'll soon get the idea.

Edited by poodlefan

Just for my understanding - are you concerned that your dog does not eat her dry food or that she does not eat at all?

Honestly - I am not a big fan of dry food, usually contains too many carbs, can get mouldy, moths love it and it is not very natural (they would not have it in the wild). Of course it is convenient, but I personally do not feed it any more. My dogs get a diet with mainly raw food, sometimes I cook it for a change, I prepare all their food myself with human-grade ingredients and they thrive! Never had a problem with picky eaters, they gobble it down with high speed.

Another issue could be the feeding routine. Do you leave the dry flood sitting around the whole day for her to help herself when she wants some? Better would be to put it down, if she does not want any take it away. She will quickly learn that she better eats.

Dagmar

Put the dry food down, take it away after 15 minutes and nothing until the next meal.

I;ve never had a fussy dog, big or small. They all learn to eat what is in their bowls or go hungry.

Sasha is a fussy kibble eater, but really likes Advance and will eat it all up.

She has also liked Iams and Eukanuba (but she did not do as well on them).

Chloe, another fussy kibble eater - loves Eagle Pack :)

I used to use a mixture of warm water and Sasha's Blend as a 'sauce' to get her to eat her Science Diet when she was on a special diet - she really liked that fishy taste on the kibble.

I don't pander to Sasha as much. As long as it doesn't upset her sensitive tummy - she has to eat it, or go hungry. Tough, but she is such a terrible eater - and this tough love has actually worked and she eats so much better now.

My Tentie is like this too, he gets bored of kibble easily. He also doesn't like sardines (likes mackerel though).

If he doesn't eat it it gets picked up. Sometimes he will skip meals but he doesn't lose condition and he's a good weight. I used to worry but now I realise it's just his way. I was also feeding him a bit too much in the beginning and found that halving his meals made him a bit hungrier.

He doesn't get fed much kibble these days so it's not so much of a concern.

He never turns down chicken wings / frames / pieces though, he loves those!

I would like her to eat dry food for when we go away and leave Dora with a friend... they're not gonna prepare meals for her picky self, they're just gonna place her food down. I would like her to be prepared for when that happens (going away this year).

I'll try all those tips, thank you :(

My chi's got very picky for a bit too, rejecting all sorts of brands, including the royal canin chihuahua, which they loved for a little while. I have been successful with Purina Lamb & rice adult formula. They have been happy with that for a while now and the pieces are small too. My dogs are fed mostly raw, but they do like a little dry too. Definately worth a go.

Put the dry food down, take it away after 15 minutes and nothing until the next meal.

I;ve never had a fussy dog, big or small. They all learn to eat what is in their bowls or go hungry.

+ 1

My girl didn't like it when I began the change over from puppy kibble to adult. Was the same size but she'd spit out the adult Eukanuba. I mixed a little vegemite in warm water and poured over the kibble. It only took few times and she was eating all adult kibble. Now loves it dry. No problems.